• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sixth anniversary of Pantani's death

luckyboy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVCrBMNi1Vw

Crazy attacking - Alpe Di Pampeago 99

Wish I was 5/6 years older so I could've actually seen cycling in the 90s

Great footage!! Three of my all time favorite climbers battling it out: Pantani, Simoni and Heras. I'd never seen that before and unfortunately I don't think that Giro is available on DVD due to the controversial expulsion of Pantani near the race's end. I would love to have a good copy of that just for that footage alone.:(

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Great footage!! Three of my all time favorite climbers battling it out: Pantani, Simoni and Heras. I'd never seen that before and unfortunately I don't think that Giro is available on DVD due to the controversial expulsion of Pantani near the race's end. I would love to have a good copy of that just for that footage alone.:(

I'm sure I have seen it for sale. I always loved watched Pantani climb, even if you knew what the real reason why that was the case.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
It's available, you can download it on cyclingtorrents.nl.

Part 1
http://cyclingtorrents.nl/details.php?id=444

...and part 2
http://cyclingtorrents.nl/details.php?id=452

Every time I want to get motivated through the winter and exited about cycling, I always watch all the videos I have of Pantani-he was just unique and aside for all the controversy surrounding his outspoken views & personal problems, he was always ready to bring spectacle to his beloved tifosi.
Gone but never forgotten il Pirata

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
congrats pantani highest step of podium cheaters.

I don't know if this forum is bi-polar or if all serious cyclists are bi-polar. On a separate thread on this site, Floyd Landis, who won the 2006 tour against other people who were very likely doing the equivalent PED regimen is being essentially ground into the dust. :confused:I think the only thing that would please them is if Floyd commits suicide. :mad:

And over here, we have this unmitigated lovefest for a guy who was likely doing much worse. It's baffling and it totally undercuts the credibility of the whole community. It's maddening.

Floyd, if you need a couch to crash on, you can crash on mine forever.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I can see Italians loving Pantani, national hero and all that. But anyone else come on boys and girls. He was so amped on every drug under the sun.
I don't worship anyone who dies on cocaine that is stupid. Pantani commited suicide on coke. I pity his relatives.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
I can see Italians loving Pantani, national hero and all that. But anyone else come on boys and girls. He was so amped on every drug under the sun.
I don't worship anyone who dies on cocaine that is stupid. Pantani commited suicide on coke. I pity his relatives.

While I can't argue with his drug use, my personal feelings are a bit different. When I first took an interest in cycling I didn't care for him, but as I've learned more, I've grown to appreciate him as I cyclist. I don't think his drug use is any reason not to appreciate his abilities. If anything it's quite tragic.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
While I can't argue with his drug use, my personal feelings are a bit different. When I first took an interest in cycling I didn't care for him, but as I've learned more, I've grown to appreciate him as I cyclist. I don't think his drug use is any reason not to appreciate his abilities. If anything it's quite tragic.

At the time Pantani got booted from the Giro I was coaching a 12 year old kid who idolized him. I had to tell that kid that yes, I thought his hero probably was a cheat.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Never really understood the hero worship of Pantani when on another thread there is 101 posts of all who hate and admonish a certain american star.

Whats the supposed difference between the two if all the haters/fans are right?

:confused:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Hey flicker, how's the view from your high horse?

I get my info from champions. They said Pantani was nothing without dope.

If it had been just PEDs he was on I could forgive. The recreational drug use I could forgive. Putting both together then having people idolize Pantani, I just don't get it.

flicker said:
I get my info from champions. They said Pantani was nothing without dope.

If it had been just PEDs he was on I could forgive. The recreational drug use I could forgive. Putting both together then having people idolize Pantani, I just don't get it.

It's all about style, baby!!:D Don't you get it?!

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
oldxer said:
At the time Pantani got booted from the Giro I was coaching a 12 year old kid who idolized him. I had to tell that kid that yes, I thought his hero probably was a cheat.

I would have a hard time doing that. Kids can take that sort of thing hard. Playing basketball, I had great admiration for several players, and looking back I wish I would have been told the kind of people they were so I wouldn't have appeared so naive, but I'm also glad they let me find out for myself. You were also kind of forced into that sitauation though, my parents and coaches weren't.

oldxer said:

but did you insinuate to him that the entire peloton was juiced as well?
as Pantani himself said: How can you cheat when everybody is doing the same?