• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Skoda-Tour de Luxembourg 2014 (2.HC), 04.06 - 08.06

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van Poppel is a very interesting sprinter, no doubt. I wonder how his career will evolve in the next few years. I like the fact that Trek got rid of the majority of the old garbage and went for new blood like Danny, Stuyven, Alafaci, Silvestre, Jungels. I think it's going well so far and I hope they take full benefit in the future.

Although this was a very short TT, I'm disappointed with Boaro, I thought he would do better in this field. He seems to have lost a bit from the sparkle he had on the first years. A bit like Sergent as well. Maybe they are just one dimension riders, struggling to become more complete.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Always wondered why they don't do more of those short cobbled prologues in medieval old town sections. Could be awesome for the spectators plus exciting to watch on TV also. Actually you could really spice up a short tricky prologue for TV if u wanted to. I mean you could have multiple split time sections, maybe some gadgets to show riders speed in that straight or exiting that corner etc, to make sort of (alpine skiing) downhill-like watching, instead of the classic ITT format.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice for Van Poppel!

It will be interesting to see how he develops. I think he's a very talented rider, but I hope he doesn't become too much of a one dimensional pure sprinter.

Bunch catches the breakaway in the closing kilometers, Matti Breschel launches a suicide attack with 3 kilometers to go and gains 10 seconds but is caught, all together by 2 km, bunch sprint...aaaand obvious Greipel win is obvious. Still waiting on the minor placings.

Shoot, they ended lived coverage before reporting who got second and third. But they did say van Poppel is still in yellow so I guess he finished with the bunch and neither of yesterday's podium finishers got any bonus seconds if they figured in the finale.

I've found reports that these are the top four on Stage One, all on the same time as the bunch finished with a mass sprint.

(1) Andre Greipel, the Champion of Germany | Lotto Belisol
(2) Michael Morkov, the Champion of Denmark | Tinkoff - Saxo
(3) Danny van Poppel | Trek Factory Racing
(4) Jean-Pierre Drucker | Wanty - Groupe Gobert

van Poppel retains his leader's jersey. Jempy Drucker was second in yesterday's prologue and presumably remains second in the overall.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Looks like Morkov is in decent form,hopefuly it will help him to be a part of Tour team:)

He says he is in excellent form and is looking forward to the coming challenges. So his tour rooster looks promising, I am pretty confident he will have a seat in the bus.

Btw, I suggest you read his comment about todays stage on the Tinkoff website, interesting details about the sprint today. Its almost like he felt he could have beaten the gorilla today.
http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/morkov-beaten-greipel-luxembourg/

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Butterhead said:
He says he is in excellent form and is looking forward to the coming challenges. So his tour rooster looks promising, I am pretty confident he will have a seat in the bus.

Btw, I suggest you read his comment about todays stage on the Tinkoff website, interesting details about the sprint today. Its almost like he felt he could have beaten the gorilla today.
http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/morkov-beaten-greipel-luxembourg/

Thanks,very nice reading.Feel happy for him:)

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Thanks,very nice reading.Feel happy for him:)

If anybody deserves it, its Morkov, and I am sure he also have the nationals in his clear sight later this month, but it will be a very tough race, but he would love to be in the tour with dannebrog on.

I think Magnus Cort will be his biggest rival, but unless of course the Saxo boys makes an alliance and rides for Morkov then also Valgren is in shape to win it, but I want to see Morkov in the tour with the jersey, he will wear it with pride.

(sorry, I think we went a bit off topic here )