• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sky showing what an epic truckload of failure they are

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Sky had a plan A which was to support Wiggins in the GC. And it seemed to suit them this year to be totally focussed on the one goal and pick up stage wins if they happened along as one did yesterday.

Does anyone really think Uran can win this thing? I haven't seen anything that says he is a genuine top 10 contender but there's always someone that comes from leftfield.

The trouble that Sky have now is whether they can change their game to win stages. In the past they haven't even come close to winning a GT stage in a breakaway or until this year, a sprint. I'm not sure they have a plan B in other words.

Harsh thread title though.

Just got back from Le Tour to find Ryo has been making friends, again, with his epic truckload of horsesh*t.

Sky gambled everything on Wiggins and lost. Wiggins gambled everything on Le Tour and lost.
Most of the top contenders have gambled all on the Tour and a few of them have already lost as well.
'Tis the nature of the beast.
At least Sky have their stage win and will look for more.

Uran can now have free rein to ride in the mountains, not be a Columbian bottle boy. Maybe Ryo will get his little stiffy, yet.

Captain_Cavman said:
Does anyone really think Uran can win this thing? I haven't seen anything that says he is a genuine top 10 contender but there's always someone that comes from leftfield.

Only the maker of this thread.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
The thing is only Swift, Thomas and Gerrans escaped the crash and were called back, which was probably a poor decision. Uran and the others were caught up in the crash, and it's only natural they waited around to see whether Wiggins would be able to continue.

The important thing for Uran is to show he can compete in the high mountains. So far he has looked stronger in Ardennes/Lombardia type races. It would be good if he could get in the break on Sunday, that way he could maybe get back some time, and if not, focus on the KOM.

Ryo - by making threads like this you are only turning people off Colombian riders.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Ragerod said:
Waiting for the winner of the Dauphine and your team leader isn't stupid. Even if Uran wasn't directly involved in the crash, he was held up by it. Thomas didn't wait and yet they finished with the same time and I'd have more faith in Thomas getting back onto a fast moving peloton than Uran.

Correct - and not only is it not stupid, it's their job to do so.
Thoughtforfood said:
Well, the Tour lost a real threat for GC today...and Wigans.

I agree, I know that Wiggins DNF is the big news but I think Horner had a realistic chance at top 5, while Wiggins was more like top 10.
Either way - crashes to anyone or not the way I want to see GT's decided.

A

Anonymous

Some facts

The crash happened towards the front of the peloton albiet towards the side

Uran and Knees were behind wiggins when the crash happened, Boasson Hagen nearby.

Thomas was in front of Wiggins when the crash happened.

Uran, Knees and Boasson Hagen waited with Wiggins to see if he was ok.

Thomas stopped and went back, along with Flecha and Zandio who were near by anyway, and Swift who was a bit further back to try and help Uran, and Boasson Hagen get back to the front group.

All this Uran waited etc, yes he did but he was one of three riders with Brad. The rest of the team actually tried to help Uran back towards the front.

Try putting the facts together before you create pointless threads.

A

Anonymous

Libertine Seguros said:
So Urán has done plenty of note in GTs, and more than Wiggins has ever done on races with a parcours like tomorrow's stage, and Urán is much younger, and the Tour route is more suited to him.

I like Rigo, think he has promise and hope he will now get a free role, but that sentance is Rubbish.

Brad has a Dauphine win and a 4th in the Tour de France. You cannot say that Rigo has done more than Wiggins.

As I say, I think Rigo has talent, but if you are going to make arguments make them rational.

Crikey, the Spaniards are taking Wiggins retirement worse than the brits.

TeamSkyFans said:
I like Rigo, think he has promise and hope he will now get a free role, but that sentance is Rubbish.

Brad has a Dauphine win and a 4th in the Tour de France. You cannot say that Rigo has done more than Wiggins.

As I say, I think Rigo has talent, but if you are going to make arguments make them rational.

Crikey, the Spaniards are taking Wiggins retirement worse than the brits.

I said that Urán has shown more than Wiggins on races with parcours like tomorrow's stage. I.e. short sharp hilly races. Races with short uphill finishes.

Wiggins has shown more in GTs, but the assertion was that Urán has shown nothing (false).

I countered one claim and made one of my own, one referring to GCs and one referring to a specific stage parcours.

Apologies if that caused confusion.

Mellow Velo said:
Wiggins gambled everything on Le Tour and lost.
I wouldn't say that. Wiggins started the season saying he wanted to contend races where he could instead of gambling everything on the Tour, and he has a Dauphiné victory and a Paris-Nice podium, which should be enough to consider almost anyone's season a success.

Libertine Seguros said:
I said that Urán has shown more than Wiggins on races with parcours like tomorrow's stage. I.e. short sharp hilly races. Races with short uphill finishes.

Wiggins has shown more in GTs, but the assertion was that Urán has shown nothing (false).

I countered one claim and made one of my own, one referring to GCs and one referring to a specific stage parcours.

Apologies if that caused confusion.
If it's only about tomorrow's stage (which I agree suits him more than Wiggins, unlike almost all the other mountain stages in this Tour) it doesn't matter that he waited anyway. He can go for the stage win regardless.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
I wouldn't say that. Wiggins started the season saying he wanted to contend races where he could instead of gambling everything on the Tour, and he has a Dauphiné victory and a Paris-Nice podium, which should be enough to consider almost anyone's season a success.
Exactly. If anything, this shows the wisdom of not gambling everything on the Tour.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Epic truckload of failure.....

Edvald-Boasson-Hagen-Tour-de-France-stage-six_2618994.jpg

mk2tdf-2011-st6-geraint-thomas-still-in-white_2619132.jpg

hrotha said:

True, he's got some of his best results along the way, but I don't think Wiggins will see it that way.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Too bad. I was all set to enjoy watching Wigan get dropped-repeatedly. And the ensuing Excuse Fest from Wigan and the fanboy Brit media.

Astana1 said:
Too bad. I was all set to enjoy watching Wigan get dropped-repeatedly. And the ensuing Excuse Fest from Wigan and the fanboy Brit media.
I don't know about the British media, but last year Wiggins' "Excuse Fest" was along the lines of "I sucked hard and I've been such a pompous *** the whole year, lesson learned I guess". How you could have an issue with that is beyond me.

Mellow Velo said:
True, he's got some of his best results along the way, but I don't think Wiggins will see it that way.

Yea, but compare it to last year. He phoned it in at every race until the Tour (barring the 8km of prologue in the Giro), then flunked the Tour. If you consider this Tour a flunk too (though this time for reasons beyond his control) at least he's done something with the rest of his year.

Last year the Tour was the only goal, and they screwed it up. This year, they come away with the GC of a major stage race and a podium in another. The Tour result is very disappointing but at least they've got something to show for their season. Now, Vuelta?

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone else find the use of the word 'fanboy' incredibly annoying?

Of course the British media is going to hype Wiggins up, he's the country's first GT contender for 25 years. I find it utterly bizarre how many posters on here seem to dislike riders simply based on media coverage or other posters' opinions.

I think it might've been a good idea for Uran to quickly go ahead and get beck to the front group. Then if Wiggins was ok he could've dropped back to help.

Guess it was probably tough for anyone to think of a strategy when all that was happening though.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I think it might've been a good idea for Uran to quickly go ahead and get beck to the front group. Then if Wiggins was ok he could've dropped back to help.

Guess it was probably tough for anyone to think of a strategy when all that was happening though.

Hindsight is always 20/20

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I would have thought that Ryo wouldn't have been angry, but welcomed this as an opportunity.

So he lost 3 minutes. He wasn't going to podium anyway. Now he gets to ride his own race - with support. Let's see what he can do. The KOM title hasn't even started yet - how about that?

The thing is though that they wouldnt have known at first that Wiggins was necessarily going to be out. If he had got up and they had been able to start chasing quite quickly then having a lot of people back there could have enabled them to get back on.

You could argue that they should have kept either Swift or Thomas up at the front (they were ahead of the crash from what Thomas has since said). Nine chasing isnt that much better than 8 and having someone up front gives you a chance of doing something in the sprint. If a few minutes later it looked like you would need 9 instead of 8 then the other guy could drop back. However, i dont think Sky had that much of a chance of winning the sprint today and they obviously thought that Wiggins was going to be real GC threat. Its easy to say what they should have done now we know what happened.

Bit embarrassed to have posted on a thread with such a dreadful title.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Okay. Sub fanboy for, irrational, delusional, unrealistic, unreasonably optimistic. You pick.

By the way, I'd say the same thing to the Levi fanboys too.

TRENDING THREADS