• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So how many TDF stages will Cav have collected when he is done?

As long as they can keep that Columbia train intact, and as young as he is, he might just end up there with the greats in the high 20's.

Eddy Merckx ( Belgium) - 34
Bernard Hinault ( France) - 28
André Leducq ( France) - 25 (including half-stages)
Nicolas Frantz ( Luxembourg) - 25
Lance Armstrong ( United States) - 22
André Darrigade ( France) - 22

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
What's the most stages a pure sprinter has ever won? I know Zabel, McEwen and Cipollini all have 12, but there must be others with more?

EDIT: Just found out that Freddy Maertens took 16 stages back in the day. Cav will be there in no time...

Jasper said:
What's the most stages a pure sprinter has ever won? I know Zabel, McEwen and Cipollini all have 12, but there must be others with more?

EDIT: Just found out that Freddy Maertens took 16 stages back in the day. Cav will be there in no time...

Freddy Maertens didn't win all his stages sprinting he also won a number of time trials and prologues.

ruamruam

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:

Cav might break 16 but I don't think he will win much more than 20 stages. He seems invincible now, but so did Zabel and Cippolini in their prime. Cippo might have won more if he wasn't excluded from the race a couple of times......

Cobber said:
Cav might break 16 but I don't think he will win much more than 20 stages. He seems invincible now, but so did Zabel and Cippolini in their prime. Cippo might have won more if he wasn't excluded from the race a couple of times......

I agree but the kid is so young and would not generally be considered quite in his prime

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
robow7 said:
I agree but the kid is so young and would not generally be considered quite in his prime

Right. And we have to consider all the mountain stages he's going to win when he goes Jaja on us. (For the noobies, Jaja is Laurent Jalabert who won the green jersey twice and then went on to win the polka dot jersey twice.)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Coach Hawk said:
Right. And we have to consider all the mountain stages he's going to win when he goes Jaja on us. (For the noobies, Jaja is Laurent Jalabert who won the green jersey twice and then went on to win the polka dot jersey twice.)

Not sure I'd classify Jaja as a pure sprinter..... he won Paris-Nice a bunch of times.