• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So Levi and Radio Shack

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Was it a good idea after all to put all your focus on the Tour of California? Maybe if Levi bothered to man up and did some more racing in Europe, he might get some better results then just some win at the Tour of Gila (which he shouldn't be allowed to race in).

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Was it a good idea after all to put all your focus on the Tour of California? Maybe if Levi bothered to man up and did some more racing in Europe, he might get some better results then just some win at the Tour of Gila (which he shouldn't be allowed to race in).

I don't think he has put everything into Cali. He didn't look himself in the TT

DZ and Rogers clearly have made ToC the focus of their season, as both know a top 10 in the Tour is a loooooonnnggg shot, but I think Leipheimer still has his eyes on July, suspecting that Lance is a step behind from last year's form.

I reckon Leipheimer is a chance for 5th come Paris, but no higher at this stage.

I think it is more a case of the change in when the event takes place. More riders are in better form and thus better able to compete with Leipheimer in the ITT. The Big Bear ended up being far from decisive with everything coming down to the ITT once again. Leipheimer could no longer depend on the advantage of his having a focus on a February event that no one else that could be a threat to him really cared about. Radio Shack have failed miserably in the event that was to be their U.S. showcase. Had they split their team and had representatives in the Giro they at least could have used that as an excuse and possibly won a stage or at least featured in a break or two. What is the point of having a roster of 25+ riders if you're going to only use 8-9 of those riders for one week long stage race in the month of May?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Levi has a case to answer with cutting the course multiple times as he went outside the cones.
Under UCI Rules & Regs, Discipline and Procedures Part 12 Section 3.14 it says" Any rider who wilfully deviates from the course to gain advantage will be eliminated

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
agreed with angliru on pretty much all points. everyone knew that moving this race meant that levi was going to have to race against some pros with race miles in 'em. that changes everything. and, imho, it exposes levi's previous "accomplishments" at the toc.

mick is certainly capable of a top ten if not a top 5 at the tour. hell, he could even podium if things go his way. dz, not so much. levi? well... he's been around for years. so what he is capable of is not in question.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:

ha! you used levi and man in the same sentence. :rolleyes:

just kidding. levi is plenty man. and super tough. it's just that he's not super tough in the context of pro bike racing.

spanky wanderlust said:

just kidding. levi is plenty man. and super tough. it's just that he's not super tough in the context of pro bike racing.

Yeah man enough to make his wife carry all the groceries up the stairs to his house because he is afraid carrying them will build too much upper body mass.:rolleyes:

This is true, i remember someone on here posting it. I laughed so hard.....

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:

You just stick to watching it on TV, have another donut while you are at it. You have no idea.

Liquigas have had as many victories in the last week as The Shack have had all season.

Since the start of the season, California has been the biggest target for The Shack outside the Tour and it looks like they are going to come away empty handed. Considering they sent their A team to Cali, this is not very promising for the Tour. To me, there have too many guys who can place well on GC but not enough out and out winners.

Whether they were not invited or didnt want to go the Giro, they had the squad to do so, Kloeden, Zubeldia, Paulinho, Machado. I have heard the argument that Machado was too inexperienced for the Giro. Richie Porte anyone???

Now, its all on the Tour so they better improve rapidly, I predicted early season that they would struggle to take 10 victories all season. Might not be far of in that prediction.

Inner Peace said:
I don't think he has put everything into Cali. He didn't look himself in the TT

DZ and Rogers clearly have made ToC the focus of their season, as both know a top 10 in the Tour is a loooooonnnggg shot, but I think Leipheimer still has his eyes on July, suspecting that Lance is a step behind from last year's form.

I reckon Leipheimer is a chance for 5th come Paris, but no higher at this stage.

Disagree re Rogers, he's been in cracking form for most of the early season.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Isn't Bruyneel simply following the same formula of focusing everything on a few season goals? In the past, this obviously worked, but as others here have mentioned, Lance and Levi are...old. Bruyneel has all but avoided the Classics, and all the other races were "training." His team has changed, his strategy has not. Little success in the future, I think, unless the young riders are made to ride in more than mere support roles for past-their-prime GC guys.
Thanks

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Yeah man enough to make his wife carry all the groceries up the stairs to his house because he is afraid carrying them will build too much upper body mass.:rolleyes:

that be me. I read the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. Good place to find Levi issims. Get this Levi Leipheimer businesman of the year Santa Rosa.
my wife always brings it up about Levi not carrying the groceries to the second story.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:

That's pure gold.
If only he could reduce the weight of his head:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS