• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So...What do your neighbors think?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
....of the early get away, all the bikes in the garage, the "amount of money" you spend on gear the "spandex",the bright kit, the leg shaving, your picky eating habits at the social bbq?

12 years here and 11 of thosein the saddle (one off because of injury)
Not that I give a rat's....and I have ignored it all I guess, but at the latest 4th Social gathering a mom over heard me sharing leg shaving techniques with my wife and daughter and her teen friends. Hey they asked about it/them....

The woman, tipsy, let it go and the homo references and all the cyclist in the road hate.....the Harley Dude chipped in...

Some people just don't get it and it is impossible to explain.

Is it as simple as Fat people hate skinny people? Do they hate it that my kids bike always work and theirs don't.

It takes a Village

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Man, your hood sucks! I don't think it's fat vs. skinny, it's ignorance vs. a breath of logic. You're considered an anomaly if you ride a bicycle regularly past the age of 16 to most dumb Americans. You should tell your neighbor to do his history, if it wasn't for the bicycle Harley would've never existed, quite literally. I'm lucky enough to have like minded cyclists and their families for neighbors, it's a real pleasure. We all have different schedules and riding priorities so we actually grill out this time of year more than ride together, but I'd go nuts if I was surrounded by goofballs.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
well regardless you should not share leg shaving tips with teenage girls at barbecues. im a cyclist and shave my legs but still i would give someone **** for that lol.;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It is the same in Aus.Even tho bike sales have exceeded car sales for the last 3 years public opinion is anti-bike,the Worlds should help.In a fattening western world more people should be riding,will the penny ever drop?

A

Anonymous

My neighbour on one side is a Finance prof at the University; his wife is a cop, and a total fitness freak.

Between them they have about 8 bikes.

My neighbour on the other side is a professional hockey player, he also rides a bike.

As do lots of his friends that drop by.

A fireman on the other side of him, bike rider.

Geologist up the street, he and his wife have 4 bikes each.

And so it goes in my neighbourhood.

They all think I'm pretty normal.

I do most of the repairs and wheelbuilding, and repairs and etc.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
well regardless you should not share leg shaving tips with teenage girls at barbecues. im a cyclist and shave my legs but still i would give someone **** for that lol.;)

I understand. my wife was giving me grief about it after she and my daughter and the girls brought it up. it was odd

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Man, your hood sucks! I don't think it's fat vs. skinny, it's ignorance vs. a breath of logic. You're considered an anomaly if you ride a bicycle regularly past the age of 16 to most dumb Americans. You should tell your neighbor to do his history, if it wasn't for the bicycle Harley would've never existed, quite literally. I'm lucky enough to have like minded cyclists and their families for neighbors, it's a real pleasure. We all have different schedules and riding priorities so we actually grill out this time of year more than ride together, but I'd go nuts if I was surrounded by goofballs.

and they never take the bike purchase advice I give them. I show then a sweet 105 or Rival bike build and they go to Toys r us or costco and then knock on my door to fix it.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
My neighbors are mostly fat republicans and they try to kill me because they feel put upon if they make an effort not to kill me..No one should care what they think..In fact they shouldn't think..They are not good at it.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I live in a complex and have done so for the last 12 years and we don't do social gatherings. We did years ago, but not anymore. Back on topic, I think my post people around where I live know that I ride, as I'm the only one who does so, even if they have NFI who I am. My neighbour is into rowing and he is amazed by how much my bike is worth and how far that I ride. And no, his 13 or 14 year old daughter hasn't asked me about leg shaving tips...

Well... to give a rather different example:
If I, when going through the neighbour back-yard, have to go that way through because we can't go through the house with bikes, and I meet someone we great each other. Of course I don't wear cycling clothes, who needs that for a 15 minutes ride to school?

To be honest; sometimes there bikes (I'm just saying "there" as I don't know whose of the people living in the many small flats connected to said back-yard bike it is) is a cause of frustration when they are parked in front of the gate I'm trying to get through...

They often say 'Your the only person Ive ever seen ride up that hill, how on earth do you do it?' I tell em Im a vegan for even more shock value and they say 'but where do you get your protein from? Id never have enough energy as a vegan!' And I smile and say 'but I thought you said I was the only person you have seen ride up that hills and you yourself just admitted you could never do it..' :)

If people dont think your 'crazy' then we must be crazy for living the status quo lifestyle.

Sincerely question the unexamined lifestyle.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
They often say 'Your the only person Ive ever seen ride up that hill, how on earth do you do it?' I tell em Im a vegan for even more shock value and they say 'but where do you get your protein from? Id never have enough energy as a vegan!' And I smile and say 'but I thought you said I was the only person you have seen ride up that hills and you yourself just admitted you could never do it..' :)

If people dont think your 'crazy' then we must be crazy for living the status quo lifestyle.

Sincerely question the unexamined lifestyle.

I climbed up that hill and I just ate a plate of food with faces. Man it felt good.

My neighbour is a nutcase Aussie masters ironman. We go for ride occaisonally which involve heavy sandbagging on his part. Getting closer to him though

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
nice crossed up whip happening in that pic boeing!

my hood is sad. there have been dads asking Me to teach Their kids how to ride! simple pure disconnect and laziness.

In my opinion when you get people spewing the cyclist hate it is because they are insecure and are on some level, maybe subliminally, intimidated by you. Best way to deal with them (if you like getting along with people that is), is to make them feel comfortable.

People like that I make some concessions and tell them things like: "the bicycle is just really, really good for your health, all I do is ride for fitness and it makes me strong and makes me feel good. Sure, bike spandex is very silly looking but it's the right athletic equipment for the job, it keeps you from getting soaked in sweat and it doesn't flap around in the breeze. Leg shaving? Yes it's silly but trust me it's gross to have your leg hair get all sweaty and having all kinds of dirt and road grime and bugs getting all matted up in your leg hair, way better to shave it off if you ride a lot of miles. Plus if you race it's an acceptance thing, the other riders want to see it as a token that you know what you're doing."

Things like that. Don't be confrontational, just genuinely try to explain why you do what you do. All hobbies are kind of silly if you think about it. Bicycling is fairly silly, even though it's a huge part of my life I think it's important not to take it too seriously because there are a lot of people that are never going to understand why bicyclists do what we do.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Fun topic... I live in a neighborhood with about 150 houses in it. I brag to every one how great it is because on any given day I can call or get a call from at least one of my neighbors to ride. On week ends we usually muster a group of at least six or so and we all live with 3 blocks of each other. Our area is also kind of a local cycling mecca. Lots of wide open roads just a few miles away. We have kids the same age and on week ends we all hang. It's pretty cool when the kids play upstairs and the guys (a couple wives too) hang downstairs talk about our training or recap tour stages. There is some variation in level but for the most part, we all get after it.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
In my opinion when you get people spewing the cyclist hate it is because they are insecure and are on some level, maybe subliminally, intimidated by you. Best way to deal with them (if you like getting along with people that is), is to make them feel comfortable.

People like that I make some concessions and tell them things like: "the bicycle is just really, really good for your health, all I do is ride for fitness and it makes me strong and makes me feel good. Sure, bike spandex is very silly looking but it's the right athletic equipment for the job, it keeps you from getting soaked in sweat and it doesn't flap around in the breeze. Leg shaving? Yes it's silly but trust me it's gross to have your leg hair get all sweaty and having all kinds of dirt and road grime and bugs getting all matted up in your leg hair, way better to shave it off if you ride a lot of miles. Plus if you race it's an acceptance thing, the other riders want to see it as a token that you know what you're doing."

Things like that. Don't be confrontational, just genuinely try to explain why you do what you do. All hobbies are kind of silly if you think about it. Bicycling is fairly silly, even though it's a huge part of my life I think it's important not to take it too seriously because there are a lot of people that are never going to understand why bicyclists do what we do.

Come to think of It I might not like getting along with people :cool:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I live in a trendy Inner city neighbourhood with a green bent so bikes are very acceptable, regardless of if you are in lycra or a hipster on a fixie (they outnumber us) - but since there are people driving through from the burbs (either weekend tourists searching for a life style... how about you get a life first... or commuters) so there are a few risks form the ill informed

As for the next level, well the guys on both sides have road bikes, one Pinarello Paris the other with BMC complete with Zipp 404's (not sure which one but it is with the cast alloy lugs and carbon tubes) ...yet neither of them seem to ever ride them! I may only get out 3 times a week but at least I am out there with regularity, I also race. These guys seem to be more the "cycling is the new golf" I have a nice bike, isn't it cool, once a year get a few miles in and do Round the Bay (a 210km Sportif event) where they will suck the entire trip. These are the guys that can't understand it if you ride any day that is not mild, still and sunny, so they think I am crazy if it is cool and wet. The $ spent is not an issue, because they will spend more to keep up with the Jones, on what is basically a stationary sculpture in their house.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Those in my building include: a pot head, an Asian man who is so security conscious he has three deadlocks and only comes and goes when nobody else is in the corridor (he's a lovely man...I think), and two other people who - frankly - are in no shape to have an adverse feeling about my exercising.

That would bring me to the conclusion I need to live in a better building, however like their opinions on what I do, I just don't give a ****. I do what I do, because I want to. Always have, always will.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Dude, you were talking to teenage girls about shaving legs. IMO, you got what you deserved. Plus my BS meter says there is more to this story than you're telling.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I got a "cool bike" from one of the neighborhood kids once. I think he just liked the colors.

I don't see any other cyclists departing/arriving and I ride to/from work most days and every Sat/Sun, so I think by now I would have seen the regulars.

But, in the Bay Area people are pretty accepting, or what's the PC term, "tolerant."

There is one lady though who lives somewhere down the street. She must be in her 50s and she is always in the drops, riding with perfect form. She doesn't leave smoke on the tarmac with her speed, but something about her perfect "in the drops" form is inspiring.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:

That's pretty much it for me. I'm also probably known as the 'guy who cycles 17+km to work and back each day, rain, hail, or shine).

Although I might lose it the next time I get asked why don't I enter the Tour de France.

TRENDING THREADS