• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So what happens if Contador wins by 39 seconds or less?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I won't lie. It's fun to watch the fanboys run around in circles complaining about a little Spanish guy who kicked their hero all over the roads of France.

OMG Moose give them a break!!!! You are killing them hahahahahaha :D:D:cool::cool:

Moose McKnuckles said:
I won't lie. It's fun to watch the fanboys run around in circles complaining about a little Spanish guy who kicked their hero all over the roads of France.

:)

you are the only one who didnt noticed this thread is not about lance armstrong...so pls make your own thread i suggest " controversial LA wins" and post your thoughts there thank you

anyway if he wins by 39 sec im sure newspapers will point out thats what he gained by not waiting for schleck,but it doesnt matter in the long run,history will not ask how he won it

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
wayfool said:
So what happens if Contador wins by 39 seconds or less?

Will this be the most controversial win ever?

For those that have been watching cycling for one year it might be, for those that have been around for twenty years or more I doubt that stage you're talking about even rates a mention. Just like AC didn't mention stage 3.

For those needing to htfu a little, have a read of Sastre's comments and digest them.

For what it's worth I think AC is going to win by considerably more than 39 seconds anyway.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
wayfool said:

I think this is rather likely to happen.

It would be one of the luckiest win ever, and Schleck one of the unluckiest "losers" ever. Also controversial but in the end it all comes down to good luck/bad luck and that's part of the race ...

wayfool said:

Considering that AS wouldn't have even been in contention if not for the neutralization stage, the hypocrisy of his and other's whine about Contador not waiting when AS didn't wait for the yellow jersey wearing Chavanel when he crashed on stage 3, I had to say: far from it.

Christian said:

It would be one of the luckiest win ever, and Schleck one of the unluckiest "losers" ever. Also controversial but in the end it all comes down to good luck/bad luck and that's part of the race ...

Only if one is lacking in knowledge of the long history of the Tour. A decade of Tours and this will be just a footnote in terms of controversy. In all honesty the fault lies with Riis and AS for waiting so long to attempt to put time into Contador. That 30 second lead that AS had seemed to lull them into complacency, while Contador knew that it was not enough of a buffer for Schleck to hold on to till the Tourmalet. AS must have been a bit over confident after the 10 seconds he put into Contador early in the race, but was apparently in denial when Contador took it back. Contador has been conservative in this Tour, knowing that as long as the gap was a reasonable one, that he could go into the ITT with confidence that it would be more than covered.

A

Anonymous

You know what happens if Contador wins by 39 seconds or less? He will walk up on the podium and put on the yellow jersey and be crowned the 2010 Tour de France Champion.

To OP: No, it is not most controversial win ever, not much controversy at all.

Angliru said:
Considering that AS wouldn't have even been in contention if not for the neutralization stage, the hypocrisy of his and other's whine about Contador not waiting when AS didn't wait for the yellow jersey wearing Chavanel when he crashed on stage 3, I had to say: far from it.

This is not hypocrisy. These are different situations, what should be assessed separately. There is some degree of uncertainty, what actually happened when AC attacked and it is definitely not black and white, but still...there is a room for debate and it leaves (at least for some) a bit of bad taste in the mouth.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:

I hardly see this as being a lucky win for Contador. If you want LUCKY wins then the 1971 and 1980 editions are what you're looking for.

wayfool said:

Uuumm, appropriate that someone with the username wayfool, gets his attempted fanboy put down thread name wrong.
The figure you were mathematically challenged by is 32 seconds, (including placings countback) as Andy S only ever held a 31 second lead.:eek:

*** edited by mod ***

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
it'll be plenty controversial, but i don't think anything can top the year indurain turned into a velocoraptor on alpe d'huez.

dino_on_bike.jpg

Velociraptor? Fool, everybody knows it was actually a T.Rex!

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
In all honesty, I'm neither a Contador hater nor a Schleck fanboy (and I'm not even sure how LA floated into the discussion, but the haters do seem to be everywhere). I just wanted to start a discussion on whether you think Contador's win is tarnished, or at least controversial, if he wins by 39 seconds or less. For you mathematically challenged folks, AS was up by 31 seconds heading into stage 15, and AC gained 39 seconds on him, which gives him his current 8 second margin. Hence the 39 seconds. In all likelihood, Contador will win by more than 39 seconds, but with an 8 second margin and an ITT on the horizon, you just never know what might happen. Yes, the quips about AC being the 2010 TdF winner are funny, but they don't really contribute to the discussion.

I've only been following the Tour since the mid-90s, so I was hoping to get some historical perspective on other controversial wins.

This isn't horseshoes or hand grenades. If you win by 1 second or 10 minutes you still get to sit on the top step of the podium. Nobody's going to care about a missed shift except the disaffected Lance fans who had an agenda against Contador from the very beginning.

There is absolutely NOTHING controversial about this win. Nothing. Bike races continue even when Saxo Bank thinks they should pause for them to get their sh!t back together.

Moose McKnuckles said:
This isn't horseshoes or hand grenades. If you win by 1 second or 10 minutes you still get to sit on the top step of the podium. Nobody's going to care about a missed shift except the disaffected Lance fans who had an agenda against Contador from the very beginning.

There is absolutely NOTHING controversial about this win. Nothing. Bike races continue even when Saxo Bank thinks they should pause for them to get their sh!t back together.
Well, sometimes I look at the 2006 Giro final standings and think "now that's ridiculous". So I guess the time gap might be somewhat important?

Seriously though, if Contador wins by 39 seconds or less, next time a TdF is hotly contested commentators everywhere will mention this year together with 1989, but that's all.

saganftw said:
you are the only one who didnt noticed this thread is not about lance armstrong...so pls make your own thread i suggest " controversial LA wins" and post your thoughts there thank you

That's been tried before with hilarious results(more threads about LA than livestrong.com). This neurological disorder, similar to PBA but acted out via a keyboard and mouse, dictates that you let them entertain themselves. Sadly, there is no approved treatment for their condition. Like some whack jobs on the street soiling their twisted knickers, they are mostly harmless and quite entertaining.

One word of warning. If a circle jerk starts it is better to exit this place before your feet begin sticking to the floor.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
wayfool said:
In all honesty, I'm neither a Contador hater nor a Schleck fanboy (and I'm not even sure how LA floated into the discussion, but the haters do seem to be everywhere). I just wanted to start a discussion on whether you think Contador's win is tarnished, or at least controversial, if he wins by 39 seconds or less. For you mathematically challenged folks, AS was up by 31 seconds heading into stage 15, and AC gained 39 seconds on him, which gives him his current 8 second margin. Hence the 39 seconds. In all likelihood, Contador will win by more than 39 seconds, but with an 8 second margin and an ITT on the horizon, you just never know what might happen. Yes, the quips about AC being the 2010 TdF winner are funny, but they don't really contribute to the discussion.

I've only been following the Tour since the mid-90s, so I was hoping to get some historical perspective on other controversial wins.

Defining what is and what is not controversial is not clearcut. A controversial situation (IMO) arises when something happens to a rider that is out of his control. With that being said, Andy holds a partial responsibility for his chain dropping.

1975 is probably the closest thing to a controversial victory. Eddy Merckx was on his way to a 6th TDF victory, until an enraged fan attacked him on the Puy de Dome, punching him in the kidney. Merckx was so shaken up at the finish, he was supposedly coughing up blood. Bernard Thevenet then crawled into the lead and held it, by a slim margin. AFter the punch Merckx continually gained time on Thevenet, but by Paris, he was still 3 minutes back. To me this is a controversial win. Something completely out of Merckx's control prevented him for likely victory.