• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So what is it about Lance?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
- uses his cancer foundation and charity for his own personal gain. I used to be a big fan of his foundation and overlooked the somewhat poor performance of the foundation and focussed on his altruism and good intentions ..... but have come to the realisation recently (after a lot of reading) that actually he has used the charity blatantly and purely for his own financial gain.

Please provide links if you can. I would be very interested to read it.

I heard the rumours but I never thought He would really do something like that. He is of course very powerfull but how can he get away with it?

A

Anonymous

AussieGoddess said:
Its pretty clear to me that he has doped. And to be honest, I wouldnt 'hate' him for that - everyone else did it and I dont 'hate' them.

I love the fact that he had cancer and through the wonders of medical science could recover from that and be well enough and strong enough to win the worlds toughest bike race 7 times in a row. That he can do that (even with drugs) gives hope and inspiration to all cancer sufferers. Hope that one day I will be well enough to be able to ride that far ... much less match it with the best in the world.

BUT ... its the other things that make me dislike him for what he has done

Its pretty clear that he :

- cheated in such a way as to take the absolute p1ss .... while shouting from the rooftops 'I am the cleanest cyclist ever'

- pushed drugs onto other cyclists in his team

- bribed (an admittedly already corrupt) UCI to sustain his cheating

- bullied anyone who got in his way in such a public and demeaning manner (Simeoni is an example, LeMond, Landis ... the list goes on)

- uses his cancer foundation and charity for his own personal gain. I used to be a big fan of his foundation and overlooked the somewhat poor performance of the foundation and focussed on his altruism and good intentions ..... but have come to the realisation recently (after a lot of reading) that actually he has used the charity blatantly and purely for his own financial gain.

These things make me sad that it is THIS guy who is the one who triumphed over cancer. Makes me wish it was someone else - someone more worthy.

+1

To think this guy was given a second chance and then does what he did with it. LeMond's comment "greatest come back... or greatest fraud" was spot on.

Dettol

BANNED
Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
tubularglue your post is too archaic.

Regarding Lance's innocence I think the saying, 'If you play in dirt you get dirty' has never been truer. Some people like playing internet detective so if you follow the case as it were you eventually have to come to some judgment on the man.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
tubularglue said:
hey dettol,

you ever had cancer ? You ever been around people who have survived ?

Why did i survive. no answer. why people around me died. no answer

so what is wrong with questioning what i believe as truth against that which I believe as false. Is this called hate. Are you not generalizing, in a sense, a group?

As to your last question, I will let facts, under investigation, lead me down the road to my conclusions. I am OK with whatever the outcome. Little by slowly this knot will get untied.

Lots of facts out there.

A dangerous game when facts are spun as lies, and lies spun as facts. Do not you think so?

Where do you stand ? Eye of the hurricane - safest place, IMO

So, if you please, "tell me the reasons why they(us) think he is what he is."

"I provide the answers" -dettol

I like questions - tubularglue'

I rolled a front tire with your brand of tubular glue front tire.going down mt, tam at 45mph. I still don't hate you (even though I wore some authentic road rash) I will not buy that white glue again, I will stick with the Clement rim cement.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Dettol said:
tubularglue your post is too archaic.

Regarding Lance's innocence I think the saying, 'If you play in dirt you get dirty' has never been truer. Some people like playing internet detective so if you follow the case as it were you eventually have to come to some judgment on the man.

I seldom regard my reality as truth. Day by Day

Clement Flicker, yes clement :D and when i need some color Flicker, Tubasti

becarefulwhatuwhish4

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
tubularglue said:
I seldom regard my reality as truth. Day by Day

Clement Flicker, yes clement :D and when i need some color Flicker, Tubasti

becarefulwhatuwhish4

I ripped my FAEMA jersey because of that darned French gutta. arrghhh That is a 1 of a kind (in '72) White and Red Wool tufts, blowing down the 110o road, me flinginfgHuchchesen sew-upstires into tall redwoods...

Ok, I consider myself baited now...

1. I dont agree with the Livestrong foundation thing. Having survived cancer, and looking at all the various charities and organization that are supposed to help, Livestrong will be so nice to give you a folder with various information in it. When you need help in a variety of ways, like trying to cover expenses, losing your job, losing your way of life and a variety of other things that can happen that will ruin you if the cancer doesnt, all they provide is a folder with some info? Some charities might help with treatments, get you to the hospital, maybe some dr bills or prescriptions. Few will help protect you from getting fired, losing your health insurance or giving your family help for the future. Mind you I was not looking for a check to help me, but some resources that truly help a patient. I (my opinion here) feel Livestrong is useless.

2. I dont believe he is a good bike racer. He races one event, all other events that he might attempt, and as of late its few, he doesnt race. A bike racer tries all types of events, to use their skills, fitness and other tools to get to the finish line first. Regardless if its a Classic, TT, criterium or RR with 7 passes and 15,000 feet of climbing. You train to improve your weaknesses and compete. Racing only one event, and not really showing up other places is not my definition of a bike racer.

3. The grand tours are essentially a month long test of the human, and being a good bike racer. Not a test of drugs. The whole idea is after 20 days of racing, did you play your cards right to survive? He has made a mockery, along with others, that the drugs allow them to survive. One should suffer the day after winning a stage to try to hang on to those gains. Thats what the race is about.

4. Regardless of the doping charges, or whatever is due to happen in the coming months, the undertones, intimidation, egotistical, and a myriad of other terms that he has come to encompass is total nonsense. Put yourself on the line and let your results week in and week out speak for themselves. "Most tested rider" is a load of manure. Bike racing teaches humility. Winning one day can mean 3 weeks later being dropped like you were a beginner.

5. He is a jerk. I have raced against him in the 90's and prior to him having any finishes, he was a jerk. He is a jerk now, atleast that holds true.

6. I dont feel personally that the cancer diagnosis, prognostication, and follow up are correct on face value as we are led to believe. I might possibly believe testicular cancer. I feel more likely that a possible non cancerous legion on the brain might have occurred, perhaps from a program with a little T and some EPO prior to excellent care. Having been touched by cancer, with myself, my wife, and another dozen people I am acquainted with, the way treatment rips you to absolute shreds leads me to my conclusions.

7. Prior to cancer he was a World Champion. We can point to a number of people that are great one day racers, have a short list of palmares. Now all of a sudden, post cancer, he kills in the TdF? I find it unlikely without significant biological help in a synthetic form.

Okay, that is too much for now, I can keep going. Rip me to shreds, but these are my opinions, and if you feel you must, have at it.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
PotentialPro said:

1. I dont agree with the Livestrong foundation thing. Having survived cancer, and looking at all the various charities and organization that are supposed to help, Livestrong will be so nice to give you a folder with various information in it. When you need help in a variety of ways, like trying to cover expenses, losing your job, losing your way of life and a variety of other things that can happen that will ruin you if the cancer doesnt, all they provide is a folder with some info? Some charities might help with treatments, get you to the hospital, maybe some dr bills or prescriptions. Few will help protect you from getting fired, losing your health insurance or giving your family help for the future. Mind you I was not looking for a check to help me, but some resources that truly help a patient. I (my opinion here) feel Livestrong is useless.

2. I dont believe he is a good bike racer. He races one event, all other events that he might attempt, and as of late its few, he doesnt race. A bike racer tries all types of events, to use their skills, fitness and other tools to get to the finish line first. Regardless if its a Classic, TT, criterium or RR with 7 passes and 15,000 feet of climbing. You train to improve your weaknesses and compete. Racing only one event, and not really showing up other places is not my definition of a bike racer.

3. The grand tours are essentially a month long test of the human, and being a good bike racer. Not a test of drugs. The whole idea is after 20 days of racing, did you play your cards right to survive? He has made a mockery, along with others, that the drugs allow them to survive. One should suffer the day after winning a stage to try to hang on to those gains. Thats what the race is about.

4. Regardless of the doping charges, or whatever is due to happen in the coming months, the undertones, intimidation, egotistical, and a myriad of other terms that he has come to encompass is total nonsense. Put yourself on the line and let your results week in and week out speak for themselves. "Most tested rider" is a load of manure. Bike racing teaches humility. Winning one day can mean 3 weeks later being dropped like you were a beginner.

5. He is a jerk. I have raced against him in the 90's and prior to him having any finishes, he was a jerk. He is a jerk now, atleast that holds true.

6. I dont feel personally that the cancer diagnosis, prognostication, and follow up are correct on face value as we are led to believe. I might possibly believe testicular cancer. I feel more likely that a possible non cancerous legion on the brain might have occurred, perhaps from a program with a little T and some EPO prior to excellent care. Having been touched by cancer, with myself, my wife, and another dozen people I am acquainted with, the way treatment rips you to absolute shreds leads me to my conclusions.

7. Prior to cancer he was a World Champion. We can point to a number of people that are great one day racers, have a short list of palmares. Now all of a sudden, post cancer, he kills in the TdF? I find it unlikely without significant biological help in a synthetic form.

Okay, that is too much for now, I can keep going. Rip me to shreds, but these are my opinions, and if you feel you must, have at it.
How old are you and have you ridden with or raced against John Howard in his prime? Just wondering you can PM me, F. Licker

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
I rolled a front tire with your brand of tubular glue front tire.going down mt, tam at 45mph. I still don't hate you (even though I wore some authentic road rash) I will not buy that white glue again, I will stick with the Clement rim cement.

it is not the glue.

think about it.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
PotentialPro said:

PP,

I enjoyed your post in particular. I myself have often wondered about #6, and it appears that from your own experience that you have some doubts; I always have. Could you elaborate a bit more for those like minded here that share your opinion?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
PotentialPro said:

Which races were you with Lance? What kind of medical backround do you have?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
stumbled across this again.

trick: you can turn directions by lowering to only see her feet :D

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/right-brain-v-left-bran/story-e6frf7jo-1111114603615

kind of a moment for a thread drift: how we think, oh and i don't know what it is about lance armstrong. I flip

Spinning-lady-5693171.gif

THE Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
you got that right. I was a fool. That is what this thread is about though a bigger fool than I.(If that is possible?)

No, that was not my point
it could of been for a myriad of reasons
and some of those possible reasons you may have had no control over

just a thought, what the hell do i know

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
Its pretty clear to me that he has doped. And to be honest, I wouldnt 'hate' him for that - everyone else did it and I dont 'hate' them.

I love the fact that he had cancer and through the wonders of medical science could recover from that and be well enough and strong enough to win the worlds toughest bike race 7 times in a row. That he can do that (even with drugs) gives hope and inspiration to all cancer sufferers. Hope that one day I will be well enough to be able to ride that far ... much less match it with the best in the world.

BUT ... its the other things that make me dislike him for what he has done

Its pretty clear that he :

- cheated in such a way as to take the absolute p1ss .... while shouting from the rooftops 'I am the cleanest cyclist ever'

- pushed drugs onto other cyclists in his team

- bribed (an admittedly already corrupt) UCI to sustain his cheating

- bullied anyone who got in his way in such a public and demeaning manner (Simeoni is an example, LeMond, Landis ... the list goes on)

These things make me sad that it is THIS guy who is the one who triumphed over cancer. Makes me wish it was someone else - someone more worthy.

Welcome to disillusionment. If you really want to find out just how sick of a business it all was, read Walsh and Kimmage's books. You'll turn into a complete militant radical after that. ;)

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
tubularglue said:
No, that was not my point
it could of been for a myriad of reasons
and some of those possible reasons you may have had no control over

just a thought, what the hell do i know

When you are riding along with a stationary wheel on a fiamme red rim at 40 mph with an inflated tire 12" off the wheel around a 120o corner the only one laughing is the ROADrunner. these freedom fry eating USA in 2010 RAH RAH cyclocross guys hopefully will never know my joy!

A

Anonymous

Lance has one testicle.
Hitler had one testicle.
Hitler started World War Two
Lance is only three letters different than Hitler
It took Hitler five years to set into motion the Nurenburg Racial Laws.
Lance came back to win Tour number eight.
Thirteen is a really unlucky number.

See the pattern?...DO YOU SEE THE PATTERN???!!!! Some people see only that which is immediately in front of their eyes. Some people see the truth. DO YOU SEE THE TRUTH???!!!!

flicker said:
Which races were you with Lance? What kind of medical backround do you have?

Several RR's in Arizona, and California, one for sure is Long Beach Grand Prix in the early 90's.

I used to be a sports trainer and coach, I have more expertise from studying various issues with my wife's and my own cancer. She has a deeper background than I working in the medical field. We work on many things together in regards to base of knowledge, and trying to understand what lay in our own futures.

TRENDING THREADS