So when will GVA get his Clasica San Sebastian title?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should Froome's time have been neutralized today?

  • Yes

    Votes: 23 56.1%
  • No

    Votes: 18 43.9%

  • Total voters
    41
Mar 15, 2016
520
0
0
Walkman said:
El Pistolero said:
Greg got hit by a motorbike in the finale of the Clasica San Sebastian 2015 while leading the race, but then got hit by a motorbike.

They didn't give him the same time as Yates either.

Unequal justice...
LOL...

Two wrong makes a right?

We are many who feel that Clasica San Sebastian 2015 was a farce it that regard but repeating it at the Tour seems kind of stupid, don't you agree?
It appears that some people like the OP don't accept that you can learn from past mistakes.
 
El Pistolero said:
Greg got hit by a motorbike in the finale of the Clasica San Sebastian 2015 while leading the race, but then got hit by a motorbike.

They didn't give him the same time as Yates either.

Unequal justice...
Butthurt Belgian? :D
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Greg Van Avermaet says his words in the aftermath of crashing at the Clasica San Sebastian were misunderstood and says Adam Yates deserved the win.
If he wanted the win, why would he say Yates deserved it?
He has stated multiple times he'd have won if not for that motor crash. Cyclists lie, all the time.

Simon Yates was the one overreacting anyway. He should mind his own business a little better.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Re:

Arked said:
Van Avermaet incident took place over 7km before the finish line and it was one day classic race. I see huge differences between two incidents.
When the mountain was almost over and a descent followed. Even if Yates had caught him, he'd have been out-sprinted.

It's actually worse in a one-day race, in a Grand Tour you have enough time to make up the difference elsewhere.
 
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
RedheadDane said:
Greg Van Avermaet says his words in the aftermath of crashing at the Clasica San Sebastian were misunderstood and says Adam Yates deserved the win.
If he wanted the win, why would he say Yates deserved it?
He has stated multiple times he'd have won if not for that motor crash. Cyclists lie, all the time.
Van Avermaet responded on Twitter on Monday saying his words had been misunderstood and said Adam fully deserved the victory, which the Brit accepted gracefully.
Now, I wonder what words it was GVA was referring to. It wouldn't just happen to be the bit about "I deserved the win."?
If he can accept that what happened happened, and Yates won, then why can't you? What do you gain from GVA being awarded the win?
 
For all the incidents involving Froome, Yates and Porte, they were given back time, but their ranks remained as they originally came in.
So applying the same to GVA, he should be given same time as Adam Yates and retained his DNF ranking.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
El Pistolero said:
RedheadDane said:
Greg Van Avermaet says his words in the aftermath of crashing at the Clasica San Sebastian were misunderstood and says Adam Yates deserved the win.
If he wanted the win, why would he say Yates deserved it?
He has stated multiple times he'd have won if not for that motor crash. Cyclists lie, all the time.
Van Avermaet responded on Twitter on Monday saying his words had been misunderstood and said Adam fully deserved the victory, which the Brit accepted gracefully.
Now, I wonder what words it was GVA was referring to. It wouldn't just happen to be the bit about "I deserved the win."?
If he can accept that what happened happened, and Yates won, then why can't you? What do you gain from GVA being awarded the win?
CSS 2015 is just an example of unequal justice in the peloton. Do you honestly believe GVA thinks that? What self-respecting rider would think Yates deserves the win if they were hit by a motorbike while leading the race? He just doesn't want to make enemies in the peloton, makes it harder to win races.
 
Jul 20, 2015
653
0
0
Samamba said:
El Pistolero said:
Greg got hit by a motorbike in the finale of the Clasica San Sebastian 2015 while leading the race, but then got hit by a motorbike.

They didn't give him the same time as Yates either.

Unequal justice...
I'm not a Froome fan either, but if you can't see the difference, you're stupid.
Agreed. Was GVA distance to the finish plays a part as well
 
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
RedheadDane said:
El Pistolero said:
RedheadDane said:
Greg Van Avermaet says his words in the aftermath of crashing at the Clasica San Sebastian were misunderstood and says Adam Yates deserved the win.
If he wanted the win, why would he say Yates deserved it?
He has stated multiple times he'd have won if not for that motor crash. Cyclists lie, all the time.
Van Avermaet responded on Twitter on Monday saying his words had been misunderstood and said Adam fully deserved the victory, which the Brit accepted gracefully.
Now, I wonder what words it was GVA was referring to. It wouldn't just happen to be the bit about "I deserved the win."?
If he can accept that what happened happened, and Yates won, then why can't you? What do you gain from GVA being awarded the win?
CSS 2015 is just an example of unequal justice in the peloton. Do you honestly believe GVA thinks that? What self-respecting rider would think Yates deserves the win if they were hit by a motorbike while leading the race? He just doesn't want to make enemies in the peloton, makes it harder to win races.
A very self respecting rider, I'd say. :)
A rider who accepts that, yes! It sucked to be hit by a moto, but there was no way to know what would have happened otherwise.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Re: Re:

A very self respecting rider, I'd say. :)
A rider who accepts that, yes! It sucked to be hit by a moto, but there was no way to know what would have happened otherwise.
Yet that's no problem for you during this Tour stage. And there lies the hypocritical problem.

Greg was ahead with nearly all obstacles done with, he'd have won.
 
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
A very self respecting rider, I'd say. :)
A rider who accepts that, yes! It sucked to be hit by a moto, but there was no way to know what would have happened otherwise.
Yet that's no problem for you during this Tour stage. And there lies the hypocritical problem.

Greg was ahead with nearly all obstacles done with, he'd have won.
They wouldn't have adjusted the stage results today either, if Mollema/Froome/Porte had been fighting for the victory it's not like they randomly would have given the victory to Froome assuming he'd win the sprint. They can only do these kind of things for GC.
 
There is one big difference between the GVA case and today's case that I would admit.

In one day races, it's perfectly fine to attack/continue racing when a favourite has bad luck. But in grand tours, the same cannot be said.
 
Jul 4, 2015
658
0
0
Yates would have won san sebastian anyway given how quickly the gap went from 20 to 5 seconds, however I agree Froome should have kept his original time for two reasons: first of all it was a summit finish and the rules are such, secondly it would force ASO to actually do something about spectators interferring in the race and take action instead of this lame speculation on what would happen if the event hadn't occured. However there are risks that if froome kept his time it setting a precedent for fans to attack their least favored riders in order for them to lose. Finally after all this no one seems to be asking why Quintana who wasn't effected got the same time as the Yates group. That is more ridiculous than what happened to Froome. So while the media go after Froome they should also go after Quintana. I really hope that neither of these riders win the Tour, they are a disgrace to the sport. Hopefully Yates, Mollema and Aru can knock both of them off the podium.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Adam Yates said he didn't want to win the yellow jersey this way. Lol! You had no problem winning the Clasica San Sebastian this way though.
 
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
A very self respecting rider, I'd say. :)
A rider who accepts that, yes! It sucked to be hit by a moto, but there was no way to know what would have happened otherwise.
Yet that's no problem for you during this Tour stage. And there lies the hypocritical problem.

Greg was ahead with nearly all obstacles done with, he'd have won.
Do we know that GVA would've won? He might've crashed in some other, completely moto-unrelated incidedent, he might have suffered a mechanic, Adam Yates - or someone else - might have caught up to him and outsprintet him.

With Froome otoh; it was rather unlikely that the Quintana group would've caught up with him without any idiot-spectator-related incidents within the last 500 metres.

GVA accepted what happened in the CSS, and that Yates got the win.
Yates accepted what happened here, and that Froome kept the jersey.
Now we just need something to happen, which would end up favouring GVA, that Froome can accept.

In either case I accept the jury's decision. Not that it really matters what any of us think.
 
Jul 4, 2015
658
0
0
Re:

El Pistolero said:
Adam Yates said he didn't want to win the yellow jersey this way. Lol! You had no problem winning the Clasica San Sebastian this way though.
He's being polite but you could see his dissapointement on the podiul. Yates needs a winning at all costs mentaliy to be great does he have it? I think so, unlike nairo who's to passive.
 
Re: Re:

T-Nielsen said:
RedheadDane said:
Question: Who organises CSS?
If it isn't ASO, then why should they be responsible for what happened at that race?
Its the same rules.
Isn't the main rule that there aren't any rules for situations like this?
Sure, there are rules for what happens in case of regular crashes, but there aren't really any rules for what happens when a crash is caused by an organiser fuckup.
Not to mention that CSS is a one-day race, which the Tour is a GT. Pretty sure the time-taking related rules don't really apply for a one-day race.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS