• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

So who here races?

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2009
594
0
0
Visit site
Boeing said:
All we have here in socal is a bunch of guys banging heads and gears in crits to up their CAT. Its a joke so why?

So I take it you don't like crits? :D Racing is fun if you look at it like you should, it's a hobby. Don't let others take the fun out of it for you. I was at that point a few years ago. Now I just pin on a number, say hi to my friends and have a nice day racing. No joke. :rolleyes:
 
slowoldman said:
Don't let others take the fun out of it for you. I was at that point a few years ago. Now I just pin on a number, say hi to my friends and have a nice day racing. No joke. :rolleyes:

easier said than done! that competitive streak comes out every time...
although improving does make it more enjoyable. Have moved up a grade and now staying at the pointy end of the finishes.
the less said about last sunday's road race and getting cut off in the final sprint the better... but that's just racing, i guess
 
slowoldman said:
So I take it you don't like crits? :D Racing is fun if you look at it like you should, it's a hobby. Don't let others take the fun out of it for you. I was at that point a few years ago. Now I just pin on a number, say hi to my friends and have a nice day racing. No joke. :rolleyes:
Around here people don't even have that attitude towards bunch riding :rolleyes:

Two or more bikes = smash session
 
Raced from 1991-1998

Made it to Cat 1-2 after 4 years of hard work, eclipsed by the work needed to compete at that level. In 2009 after 10 years of poor health due to arthritis (plus 20 kilos) I got back on the bike. Last year I did my first crit in 15 yrs and did not suck. I will be getting a licence this year and racing a full schedule, picture to follow.
 
Apr 10, 2009
594
0
0
Visit site
jackstheman99@gmail.com said:
Made it to Cat 1-2 after 4 years of hard work, eclipsed by the work needed to compete at that level. In 2009 after 10 years of poor health due to arthritis (plus 20 kilos) I got back on the bike. Last year I did my first crit in 15 yrs and did not suck. I will be getting a licence this year and racing a full schedule, picture to follow.

That's awesome! Looking forward to pics and stories……:D
 
Jan 19, 2014
4
0
0
Visit site
903C3465-L.jpg
 
Apr 10, 2009
594
0
0
Visit site
A few pics of the race a couple of weeks back. (Maybe the one you were at Race Radio? (Roger Millikan?) these are from the 45+and 35+ race. The video at the bottom is long but it shows why our race was declared a no results race. Neutralized the whole race, nice 45 minute training ride. FF to around 43 minute mark to see the move that caused it. I was 7th wheel heading into the results of the melee with two turns left and was placed right for the finish but I guess there will be other days.












https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tUPBsrtEuU
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
1
0
Visit site
Clipped the curb. From your comment I was ready to hide my eyes from gore. But it didn't look so bad - and that they would nullify the whole thing - and it didn't happen at the front - so I'm a bit surprised. But it looks like somebody got hurt a bit more than a road rash?
 
Apr 10, 2009
594
0
0
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Clipped the curb. From your comment I was ready to hide my eyes from gore. But it didn't look so bad - and that they would nullify the whole thing - and it didn't happen at the front - so I'm a bit surprised. But it looks like somebody got hurt a bit more than a road rash?

Actually the guy just rode a completely different line than the group and tried to squeeze into a non existent hole. He literally t boned another guy (resulting in two cracked ribs). The rider that dove the corner, was knocked out and broke a tooth in half. Honestly we could have ridden around him but they stopped most of the group. Nullified the race instead of starting fresh with 2 laps on the cards. (I am actually fine with the decision as it would have been much more dangerous with a restart and a bunch of "fresh legs")
 
Archibald said:
slowoldman said:
So I take it you don't like crits? :D Racing is fun if you look at it like you should, it's a hobby. Don't let others take the fun out of it for you. I was at that point a few years ago. Now I just pin on a number, say hi to my friends and have a nice day racing. No joke. :rolleyes:

easier said than done! that competitive streak comes out every time...
although improving does make it more enjoyable. Have moved up a grade and now staying at the pointy end of the finishes.
the less said about last sunday's road race and getting cut off in the final sprint the better... but that's just racing, i guess

as an update (still remember your comments on racing them), am getting into crits more these days (mostly as that seems to be all that's about) and a couple of podiums over the past two months - just haven't cracked the top step yet...