• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So who is the most tested athlete..?

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Both Marion Jones and Armstrong have claimed the title. I've seen numbers for Armstrong ranging from 300, 378, 500 to 1000. The other day someone on here claimed that he wasn't even the most tested cyclist.

Any real facts out there?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i imagine the UCI will know who is the most tested cyclist.

The IAAF the most tested athlete etc....

at this stage in the case of LA it is inconsequential as he has proven to have doped, but managed to avoid sanctions.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i imagine the UCI will know who is the most tested cyclist.

The IAAF the most tested athlete etc....

at this stage in the case of LA it is inconsequential as he has proven to have doped, but managed to avoid sanctions.

I meant athlete in its broadest sense, rather than purely track and field.

I was also interested in any data that members of this forum had.

Thanks anyway though.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Tim_sleepless said:
I meant athlete in its broadest sense, rather than purely track and field.

I was also interested in any data that members of this forum had.

Thanks anyway though.

Not sure too many other sports test that much apart from Track and Field and Cycling?????

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Not sure too many other sports test that much apart from Track and Field and Cycling?????

Quite a few do it appears, apologies for the formating

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/Resources/Statistics/WADA_Doping_Control_2009_OOCT_Stats_EN.pdf

WADA 2009 Out-of-Competition Testing Statistics
Sport
IF
Urine
Tests
EPO Analysis
Blood Tests
hGH Analysis
Aquatics
FINA
Archery
FITA
Athletics
IAAF
Badminton
BWF
Baseball
IBAF
Basketball
FIBA
Biathlon
IBU
Bobsleigh/Tobogganing
FIBT
Boxing
AIBA
Canoe
ICF
Curling
WCF
Cycling
UCI
Dance Sport
IDSF
Equestrian
FEI
Fencing
FIE
Field Hockey
FIH
Gymnastics
FIG
Handball
IHF
Ice Hockey
IIHF
Ice Skating
ISU
International Paralympic
Committee
IPC
Judo
IJF
Korfball
IKF
Lifesaving
ILS
Luge
FIL
Netball
IFNA
Orienteering
IOF
Pentathlon
UIPM
Roller Sports
FIRS
Rowing
FISA
Sailing
ISAF
Shooting
ISSF
Skiing
FIS
Softball
ISF
Table Tennis
ITTF
Taekwondo
WTF
Tennis
ITF
Triathlon
ITU
Volleyball
FIVB
Weightlifting
IWF
Wrestling
FILA
TOTAL

May 26, 2010
Visit site
well i stand corrected. Some sports there do test as much as cycling. I wonder do they have as much doping as cycling or they wish to keep their sort clean. To me it would seem if the sport is clean no need to test, but if the sport is dirty you need to test. But that statement also depends on the federations turning a blind eye or just going through the motions.

Chapeau

BANNED
Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Armstrong had around 85 tests from 1999 up until 2005, compared to the 160 tests of Marion Jones had in the same time frame.

Kohl was highly tested, around 200 tests. Ricco has beaten 5 EPO CERA tests on the 2008 TDF alone.

Lance testing from the UCI, winning the TDF :

1999 : 15 contrôles urinaires.

2000 : 12 contrôles urinaires.

2001 : 10 contrôles urinaires.

2002 : 9 contrôles urinaires.

2003 : 9 contrôles urinaires.

2004 : 8 contrôles urinaires.

USADA testing are missing there, but they are very few : 1 to 3 each year.

Escarabajo said:
What about Erik Zabel. Does anybody has the numbers for him? Soon Cavendish will beat that mark.

Yeah, it's gotta be a sprinter who wins all year round. Each win = a test, and--if they're particularly succesful--they'll attract a lot more out of competition tests.

GC guys can't compare--and I agree with ak-zaaf that Valverde was probably the most tested GC guy based on suspicion and his competitiveness in all sorts of races.

We discussed this at length before, but that's okay I guess.

The rules are the same. The more you win or place, the more you'll get tested. The more you race, the more likely you'll be picked for random testing. Out of competition testing is random as well, depending on your racing activity, though I'm willing to bet Valverde somehow came up for "random" OOC more than others. Lance would probably argue the same. Still, no one knows what the numbers were.

Through about 2005 I'd say Mario Cipollini, Erik Zabel, Laurent Jalabert and Robbie McEwen had to be tested more than anyone. Lance's "most tested" mantra back then likely didn't come close to these guys who simply raced more and won more.

Out of competition testing increased starting in about 2006 when Operation Puerto broke. So again, just do the math. Whomever wins more, places more, and races more, is going to get tested more.

Aside from cycling, track athletes are likely tested a great deal as they are under WADA guidelines as well, their sport has had as many problems as cycling, and they compete all the time.

Remember this though, the biggest problem with testing is the ratio of false negatives. If athletes can dope without being caught, then it doesn't matter that Mario, Jaja, Lance or Cavendish or Usain Bolt were tested 200 times. If the tests rarely work, it's a pointless statistic.

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Chapeau said:
Lance testing from the UCI, winning the TDF :

1999 : 15 contrôles urinaires.

2000 : 12 contrôles urinaires.

2001 : 10 contrôles urinaires.

2002 : 9 contrôles urinaires.

2003 : 9 contrôles urinaires.

2004 : 8 contrôles urinaires.

USADA testing are missing there, but they are very few : 1 to 3 each year.

According to the USADA website:

Lance Armstrong
2001 - 2
2002 - 1
2003 - 1
2004 - 5
2005 - 3
2006 - n/a
2007 - n/a
2008 - 3
2009 - 6
2010 - 1

Doesnt the leader of the race usually get tested as well. If thats the case cancellara cant be doing bad. He gets tested multiple times in any race he enters that has a prologue in it, + wins later time trials as well, and wins classics races, not to mention the testing done on his bike.

The nature of drug tests do mean this is fast becoming a - who has won the most races discussion.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As sombody who was subject to drugs testing in another sport in the UK (Rugby League) I was always interested to see how many tests other sports atheletes were subjected to.

UK antidoping doesn't publish how many tests it has done on athletes, or if it does I can't find it on their website, but as an excercise I thought I would look at the number published by USADA for cycling and add up the number of tests on selected cyclists. It's sad I know but my daughter is watching tinkerbell on dvd and i was losing the will to live anyway.

The numbers were:

Lance Armstrong 22
Floyd Landis 16
Chris Horner 31
George Hincapie 38
levi Leipheimer 40
Kirsten Armstrong 66!

I know that this is not all the athletes listed, it's not even all the american pro's I have heard of in my limited cycling knowledge, I know it's the usada only and not the controls taken when in yellow etc etc But for me this certainly kills the most tested athlete argument stone dead

Cheers

James

ps before everybody jumps on me I have been following cycling since the 2003 tour and I have been a lurker round these parts for about 2 years. I used to believe in fairy tales but grew up when I read the ashendon (sp?) interview about the 1999 samples

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JGDragon11 said:
As sombody who was subject to drugs testing in another sport in the UK (Rugby League) I was always interested to see how many tests other sports atheletes were subjected to.

UK antidoping doesn't publish how many tests it has done on athletes, or if it does I can't find it on their website, but as an excercise I thought I would look at the number published by USADA for cycling and add up the number of tests on selected cyclists. It's sad I know but my daughter is watching tinkerbell on dvd and i was losing the will to live anyway.

The numbers were:

Lance Armstrong 22
Floyd Landis 16
Chris Horner 31
George Hincapie 38
levi Leipheimer 40
Kirsten Armstrong 66!

I know that this is not all the athletes listed, it's not even all the american pro's I have heard of in my limited cycling knowledge, I know it's the usada only and not the controls taken when in yellow etc etc But for me this certainly kills the most tested athlete argument stone dead

Cheers

James

ps before everybody jumps on me I have been following cycling since the 2003 tour and I have been a lurker round these parts for about 2 years. I used to believe in fairy tales but grew up when I read the ashendon (sp?) interview about the 1999 samples

is KA tested lots because she is american based and rode more races in the states and easier to test or someone doesn't like her?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
is KA tested lots because she is american based and rode more races in the states and easier to test or someone doesn't like her?

Kristen has a * beside her name. According to the USADA website that means:
* Athletes who voluntarily participated in USADA’s 2008 pilot testing program, which included increased testing.

Any cyclists (or swimmers or runners or whatever) with a * will have lots more tests than most of their peers.

I'm guessing the 2008 pilot testing was about getting some baseline stats in preparation for setting up biopassport program.

TRENDING THREADS