• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

So you win $150m USD

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Ripped off from another forum I visit. So you win $150m USD in the powerball lottery, what would you do?

Well for starts since I don't live in America, I will tell the IRS to get ****ed and move my money back to Australia where we do not get taxed on our lottery winnings, and convert it back to Australian dollars.

Aside from the obvious of helping out immediate family and close friends, as well as the house (or several), the very fast car etc., I would go sponsor a cycling team (or take over an existing sponsorship) and sign up Alberto Contador, Andy Schleck, and Fabian Cancellara. I would offer Columbia $10m for Mark Cavendish and see if they say no too it. Once I have my big names, give them carte blanche on their domestiques and buy up a freaking awesome team for the sprints, the GT's, the hilly and cobbled classics. Basically fantasy cycling.

Other then that I would be buying several houses in ideal cycling locations in Europe and get a racing licence. Have several bikes with the best group and wheel sets I could get. Put the rest of the money in the bank and live off the interest and never have too work again.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Interesting.

I would buy Team Radiocrap then put them on "permanent hiatus" for the entire '09 season while I deal with "testing irregularities". Heh heh heh....

As for the rest....I would keep working my crappy job. Why? Because my boss is aaalll about materialistic stuff and looks. I would rub it (my uber wealth) in his face every day, all day long. Every Friday I would pass out crisp new $100 to all my co-workers...right in front of him. I would attach the tag line, "I'm super rich" to everything I said (eg. "Do you want this stack of reports collated by 10am, boss? I'm super rich.").

With the rest of the cash? 'Harem' comes to mind...

One thing is for sure, I would get the hell outta Dodge -- pronto!!!

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Ripped off from another forum I visit. So you win $150m USD in the powerball lottery, what would you do?

Well for starts since I don't live in America, I will tell the IRS to get ****ed and move my money back to Australia where we do not get taxed on our lottery winnings, and convert it back to Australian dollars.

Aside from the obvious of helping out immediate family and close friends, as well as the house (or several), the very fast car etc., I would go sponsor a cycling team (or take over an existing sponsorship) and sign up Alberto Contador, Andy Schleck, and Fabian Cancellara. I would offer Columbia $10m for Mark Cavendish and see if they say no too it. Once I have my big names, give them carte blanche on their domestiques and buy up a freaking awesome team for the sprints, the GT's, the hilly and cobbled classics. Basically fantasy cycling.

Other then that I would be buying several houses in ideal cycling locations in Europe and get a racing licence. Have several bikes with the best group and wheel sets I could get. Put the rest of the money in the bank and live off the interest and never have too work again.

You would still have to pay US taxes and you would walk with about $50 million

two words, Hookers and Blow

A

Anonymous

3 months cruise around the world (£40k already checked)

HUge great farm to act as a animal sanctuary, 700 cats 200 dogs, and a amillion chickens.

And a decent campervan for going to races.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The last 2 years have been a non-stop kick in the teeth financially and has given me time to value money in a much more frugal manner.

pay off mortgage. maybe get rid of my 13 year old car, only because it's a little slow and only has 2 doors (97 tercel, 140k miles), buy wife a lexus and take her 8 yr old camry for myself.

buy some land in southern new hampshire, maybe get a couple ski condos out in the rockies for rent and personal use a few weeks a year.

hire a personal trainer to help me lose that last stubborn 70 or 80 pounds.
spoil wife. spa hair nails shopping weekly
buy bicycles, lots and lots of bicycles.

the rest is savings, kids college and the obvious: family, friends, charities (donated anonymously)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Put myself through some form of post-graduate education. Invest wisely. Help out friends and family with their personal ambitions/struggles. Purchase modest homes in Tampa, FL (my hometown), North GA, Colorado Springs, and Montepulciano, Italy. Rent those places while I'm not there to profit. Buy a bike for every discipline, except BMX (wouldn't know what to do with it anymore).

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Yeah, just about ruined my life on the latter about 20-25 years ago. been there done that.

hookers? So long as I wear two party hats at all times, I actually think my wife wouldn't care.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Yes but would you waste the rest on practical stuff ? I would start a school for ex-strippers who want to turn their life around. We would have a very low graduation rate. I would also like to support some single moms.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Try to do most of the following up front with half the principle and live off investments with the other half.....

Retire to full time hobbyist. Art, gardening, sports enthusiast, etc.

Buy homes in NYC (condo), Hawaii (beach), Southern Hemisphere perhaps South America, build lake home near family in Indiana (basically an extended family compound), fix up the weekend get-away I have now (mountains).

Travel extensively.

Pay down and reno homes, debts, and do what's reasonable to help out siblings and parents.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I would organise a huge get to together. For entainment purposes (or in this case, mine), I would also invite BPC, jackhammer11/carboncrank, Wonder Lance.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I would build an non profit aquatics training center here in Mexico. It would teach swimming, diving, life guarding, aqua aerobics, aqua therapy and have a nutrition kitchen for cooking demonstrations and daily food preparation.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pay $100million to never hear PL or PS commentating again.

The rest would be a trip to europe for a year to watch all the big cycling races and to go to all the great cities of Europe.

Ravens idea or strippers is not bad either. I would also start up an Australian cycling team.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Quit the job, obviously. Travel extensively, buy an old home in Tuscany, maybe an apartment in Manhattan, tinker with bikes, learn to sail, get involved with some charitable organization, and basically do whatever the hell I wanted.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Maybe a little Question and Answer session...;) see what lies he can come up with. i think if he went on this forum, it would go ito melt down.:D

Well we would tie him to a chair and use a lie detector and give BroDeal an electric cattle prod if he gets one answer wrong.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I wouldnt want to win that much ...... I would wait until the jackpot got bigger !!!!!!!!:eek:

But seriously Folks ....

Big boat for the warm sunny calm days.
"Sick fish" Plymouth Barracuda.
Couple of Madone 6.9's
Hoist and workshop for the engine powered toys.
Personal Lear jet for the :- TDF
Vuelta
Giro
Superbowl
Wimbledon
Monaco GrandPrix:cool:
etc.
No more working for a living. Just living !!!!

TRENDING THREADS