• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sochi 2014 Olympics

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Oh well... what a surprise! 1-0 final in a decisive soccer... err... hockey game.
As usual "my" team lost. And as ususal in hockey and soccer the most lucky one won. What a bull...
The final will be my last game until 2018, unless the NHL scoring average goes back to the almost 8 goals per game it was just roughly 30 years ago.

That is a shame, we will really miss your helpful commentary.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I am sorry for that.
But you know what? Sometimes we discuss hockey in the NFL thread too; when we talk about randomness/luck or defensive struggles.
Just have a look now and then.

But here is the good news: Until & inclusive sunday you´ll hear from me about hockey.

;)

Apparently in some jurisdictions in Canada, premises licensed
to serve beer and alcohol will be allowed to open at 4:30AM
Sunday morning and start selling and serving liquor at 5AM
when the puck drops to start the Gold-Medal men's hockey
final. In other jurisdictions houses of worship are changing
their regular Sunday worship schedules to avoid conflict
with Canada's True Religion.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
This is true, places in BC will not be serving booze but can be open.

The US performance today was a disgrace. There were a lot of teams at the Olympics that would have been thrilled to be playing for any medal and the US team in a solid middle finger salute to every one of them, and especially to the Finns just decided a bronze medal wasn't worth even playing for.

Too bad for every other team that would have been delighted to be in that game.

Please god Eurosport buy back the winter olympics. BBC is an absolute disgrace, half the events never shown live, Biathlon relay interrupted during the 3rd change in order to show the first third of the mens bronze medal hockey :eek:

Then they go back to the biathlon only for the final 5 minutes. Err what was the point of the first 1 hour of the race then:eek:.

Earlier in the games they were showing replays of curling instead of biathlon and xc which they only showed 5 minute highlights of later, or instead of long track speed skating where they would only later show the run made by the gold medalist. Plenty of finals were ignored in favour of first runs in bobseleigh or skeleton in full or quarter finals in snowboard.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
BBC streaming is good, though. Even the picture quality is nice despite my mediocre connection.

(And Eurosport not doing the cross country freed Patrick Winterton to make the BBC commentary a touch less awful)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
purcell said:
That is a shame, we will really miss your helpful commentary.

I keep my promises: :)
The casual fan can see that something is really wrong with the rules when a mega bucks mega superstar can´t even score (not on one but) on two penalty shots one-vs-one.
Just a critical voice from an observer...
Root for Sweden tomorrow, so congrats in advance for Canadas title defense.
Enjoy the game...

The Hitch said:
Please god Eurosport buy back the winter olympics. BBC is an absolute disgrace, half the events never shown live, Biathlon relay interrupted during the 3rd change in order to show the first third of the mens bronze medal hockey :eek:

Then they go back to the biathlon only for the final 5 minutes. Err what was the point of the first 1 hour of the race then:eek:.

Earlier in the games they were showing replays of curling instead of biathlon and xc which they only showed 5 minute highlights of later, or instead of long track speed skating where they would only later show the run made by the gold medalist. Plenty of finals were ignored in favour of first runs in bobseleigh or skeleton in full or quarter finals in snowboard.

lol, in Australia we went from having every event live over 6 HD channels to one and a half channels and a bunch of streams that don't work (admittedly I gave up on those after the first few days).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Next to last words on the olympics:
I love the national pride that is displayed in games like these.
No political correctness and/or brainwashing a la EUSSR will change that. I am sure even the likes of "BroDeal" have still some "nationalism" left in their heart. It´s not negative like it´s told to us by the puppets (politicans) of the multi national cooperations.
Some fall in this trap, but the majority of people doesn´t.
So I have to say congrats to Canada for the final gold. Well deserved. Enjoy the parties trou-out Canada... :)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Final word @ Purcell.
Hope your party was good...
As promised I am out of hockey until at least 2018.
It ended in a true mess with Sweden...
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=1403419&highlight=cetirizine#post1403419

Better brush up on your knowledge of junior hockey, because it seems unlikely the pros are going to return.
Gary Bettman no like Sochi, nor will he like South Korea, which is too bad given the exposure the sport gets. I don't understand the owner complaints about shutting down for three weeks. It's not like they lose games in the schedule or revenue.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah the good old Gary Bettman and the NHL players... Seems they like to play less and debate more.
Bettman the fighter in the name of the billionaires vs the player association fighting for the millionaires.
And here comes the fans: How in the whole wide world do you Canadians play in the tricks of these total greedy rich men? I really don´t get it.
They laugh at you, they milk you, and after every strike/lockout you come back. So they know they can go on with their little dirty games. They are so engaded in it , they forget to do what it is all about: make the game better.

For me personally the NHL can stick themselves where the sun don´t shine. The good (first few games), the bad (the rules) & the ugly (having dopers, but attacking the messsenger; that´s simply disgusting) can stay home in 2018. I don´t care. May the juniors still have a little pride and play for the game...

Good bye NHL hockey. This olympics were one step closer to the grave of irrelevance.