• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sochi 2014 Olympics

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tricycle Rider said:
Oh man, I'd love to see Putin's face right now. (Sadly, I bet if he could he'd send the entire Russian squad to a gulag.)

Amsterhammer said:
1794557_10152248996470681_970955665_n.jpg

I was sort of cheering for the Ruskies, as I like their payers, and fans, but to see this look on Putin's face, priceless.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
This CAN-Latvia game is a perfect example where hockey fails. Canada is far better in every aspect of the game, yet it took them 54 (!!!) shots to break a 1-1 tie late in the 3rd (at this time Latvia had 13).
Everybody likes upsets, but in a normal game (with wider goals), the better team would have rightfully have the game in the pocket with a score of something like 7-1...
Although Purcell might not like it, but that is the hard truth.
BTW, I have rooted hard for Latvia, so it was only a matter of time when CAN scores. ;)
To underline the above statements, it needed a one timer from one of the hardest NHL shooters (Weber) to break the tie!

Olympic ice hockey is a vastly overrated tournament. Even the best teams can lose a one game affair against a great goalie on a brutal team that stacks the net with everyone on the ice.
Canada--Latvia reminded me of a pee-wee father-son game. It was embarrassing to watch, save for the Latvian goalie who played the game of his life.
I can't believe how much ink in Canada is spilled on a tournament in which the winning team will play a total of six games, most of which are against bad teams.
Also, as an aside, cyclo-cross as a winter Olympic sport? I say yes.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
can lose a one game affair against a great goalie on a brutal team that stacks the net with everyone on the ice.
... It was embarrassing to watch

That´s what I tried to explain w/all my posts. So it´s nice to see others see the problem too.
BTW, that doesn´t only happen at the olympics or world championships. No, it happenes especially in the NHL (latest deterring example; the LA Kings Stanley Cup win).
AFIR it was even uglier when the greatest ever (Mario Lemieux) retired for the first time.
Hockey could be beautiful like soccer could...
Thanks god the "Rednecks & Neanthertals" have no say in the NFL, otherwise their games would be ugly too.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
That´s what I tried to explain w/all my posts. So it´s nice to see others see the problem too.
BTW, that doesn´t only happen at the olympics or world championships. No, it happenes especially in the NHL (latest deterring example; the LA Kings Stanley Cup win).
AFIR it was even uglier when the greatest ever (Mario Lemieux) retired for the first time.
Hockey could be beautiful like soccer could...
Thanks god the "Rednecks & Neanthertals" have no say in the NFL, otherwise their games would be ugly too.

Sorry, I can't quite follow. What does AFIR mean?
Also, can I get a high-five on cyclo-cross as a winter Olympic event? This needs to happen.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
Sorry, I can't quite follow. What does AFIR mean?
Also, can I get a high-five on cyclo-cross as a winter Olympic event? This needs to happen.

As far as I remember. May I am wrong and it should be written AFAIR...
All those abbreviations...
High five for cyclocross. :)

the delgados said:
Olympic ice hockey is a vastly overrated...
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
If any of you guys root for Sweden, USA, Canada or Suomi, don´t be too sad if your team loses...
I completely agree with both your posts. Everything you wrote. I really want Canada to lose, simply because like Russia, they put so much stock into this tournament.

I liken it to the World Baseball Classic. Only more imbalanced with way more ballyhoo and pomp.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
That Short-Track team competition is totally chaotic. I can´t follow who is leading what and when. Everybody (like 20-30 skaters) go in 2 different circles; a "bigger" one & a really small one.
I don´t understand all the fuzz about that sport.
I prefer the good old speed skating one-on-one, no matter if the Nederlands dominated...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I completely agree with both your posts. Everything you wrote. I really want Canada to lose, simply because like Russia, they put so much stock into this tournament.

I liken it to the World Baseball Classic. Only more imbalanced with way more ballyhoo and pomp.

So far my 4th team I rooted for is gone (Finland). Alone this tells you that Canada will win (since I jumped the USA bandwagon). And now the score is 1-0 CAN in the 3rd period. I am cursed since years now. Next year I root for the Seahawks and Ravens to get the right winners. ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Oh well... what a surprise! 1-0 final in a decisive soccer... err... hockey game.
As usual "my" team lost. And as ususal in hockey and soccer the most lucky one won. What a bull...
The final will be my last game until 2018, unless the NHL scoring average goes back to the almost 8 goals per game it was just roughly 30 years ago.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Oh well... what a surprise! 1-0 final in a decisive soccer... err... hockey game.
As usual "my" team lost. And as ususal in hockey and soccer the most lucky one won. What a bull...
The final will be my last game until 2018, unless the NHL scoring average goes back to the almost 8 goals per game it was just roughly 30 years ago.

I'm not a homer ( a small part of me wanted the Latvians to beat Canada, just to see another Miracle on Ice), but I watched the entire game, and there is no way you can say the lucky team won. Canada was dominant throughout.

Also, short track is roller derby on ice. Total joke sport, but kinda fun to watch.

Alpe d'Huez said:

I'll forgive you for wanting Canada to lose if I get a high five for cyclo-cross in the winter Olympics.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
(1) I'm not a homer ( a small part of me wanted the Latvians to beat Canada, just to see another Miracle on Ice), but I watched the entire game, and there is no way you can say the lucky team won. Canada was dominant throughout.

(2) Also, short track is roller derby on ice. Total joke sport, but kinda fun to watch.

(1) Accept. But still you might agree most goals in hockey are scored by pure luck (puck rolling trou pads, lucky rebound, whatever). Back in the dominant Russia/Lemieux/Gretzky days, goals actually were scored by finesse/skill/well-created.
Nowadays it is shot 30-40 times and pray one gets trou the walls of bodies/pads/sticks. Sorry, but for me that is luck and not worth the effort (either to watch the games or play yourself).

(2) Joke sport. Yeah... you said it right. :)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
(1) Accept. But still you might agree most goals in hockey are scored by pure luck (puck rolling trou pads, lucky rebound, whatever). Back in the dominant Russia/Lemieux/Gretzky days, goals actually were scored by finesse/skill/well-created.
Nowadays it is shot 30-40 times and pray one gets trou the walls of bodies/pads/sticks. Sorry, but for me that is luck and not worth the effort (either to watch the games or play yourself).

(2) Joke sport. Yeah... you said it right. :)

I see your point and I agree. Most goals scored are the equivalent to a one yard touchdown run in football. Boring to watch. I grew up playing hockey and I used to love it; but like you said, the sport has changed.

The Hitch said:
Viktor Ahn :cool:

Seems the Koreans don't like him so much. Which is understandable, given the history of short-track speed skating in Korea. It must date back a decade at least. National short-track speed skating pride is at stake.
But I'm sure the Koreans would forgive him if he gave a high five for cyclo-cross in the winter Olympics.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i don't really follow the sport of short track skating, but i think, the delgados, your take is not what i read recently about victor an...it has NOTHING to do with the koreans not liking him.

rather, he was seriously injured and out of action, lost his usefulness as the immediate korean medal earner and was looking for a roof to compete under when he half recovered. simple as that.

i am not sure how did he end up as a citizen of another country. the fact is, he has done nothing to his country of birth to be disliked. simply, he lost his value in the place brimming with talent and was dumped as a non-performing asset.

that said, i thought his moves in the 500 m final were brilliant, after starting in the most unfavorable 4th lane. they illustrate why he's a jem and a 5 time olympic champion. the koreans are stupid to let him go.

Dazed and Confused said:
Top performer. 3 golds for Russian this time. Medal count:

1 Norway 10 4 8 22
2 Russia 9 10 7 26
3 Canada 9 10 5 24
4 United States 9 7 11 27
5 Germany 8 4 4

A nice

Pushkino%2C_Mamonov_Dacha%2C_A.S.Kaminsky%2C_1891.jpg

coming up for Mr Ahn as Putin says thank you.

If I were Ovechkin on the other hand I would do a Baryshnikov the moment I land back in D.C

python said:
i don't really follow the sport of short track skating, but i think, the delgados, your take is not what i read recently about victor an...it has NOTHING to do with the koreans not liking him.

rather, he was seriously injured and out of action, lost his usefulness as the immediate korean medal earner and was looking for a roof to compete under when he half recovered. simple as that.

i am not sure how did he end up as a citizen of another country. the fact is, he has done nothing to his country of birth to be disliked. simply, he lost his value in the place brimming with talent and was dumped as a non-performing asset.

that said, i thought his moves in the 500 m final were brilliant, after starting in the most unfavorable 4th lane. they illustrate why he's a jem and a 5 time olympic champion. the koreans are stupid to let him go.

My apologies. I don't follow short-track either, but clearly you know more than me.