• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sochi 2014 Olympics

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
roundabout said:
nope, I have been watching him compete for 20 years

but thanks for the assumption

It was a question, not an assumption. And it's been more than twenty years since I utterly failed at copying his style. I can't believe a guy that's more than five years older than me is still around, and almost won an olympic gold.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Good game again. If soccer and hockey wasn´t ruled by Neanderthals those games could come close to the excitement of truel football.
Ok, we all know that all hope is lost for soccer until Blatter and his corrupt grandpa-gang is out of office (to be expected around year 2100).
But hockey could have a chance. Only widen the goal a bit, and stop blowing the whistle everytime the goalie is touched softly.
Hockey could become as great as it was in the 80s when Gretzky, Lemieux and the russian ice wizards ruled. The good old 8-5 scores could come back...

Anyone else getting bored or burnt out from the Olympics? Too many events, too many similar events, too much coverage of everything. I'm reminded of the NBA and NHL, where you have really long seasons, followed by really long playoff seasons, in order to milk every penny they can from anyone who will pay attention (or just pay).

Agree with Foxxy on Hockey. I'd also say to increase the width of the rink a little, and the space behind the goal (both are this way in international, versus the NHL), and most of all, the NHL (and Olympics, as possible) need to have more games played outside. It's proven to be hugely popular in the US and Canada, and the players like it as well.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Anyone else getting bored or burnt out from the Olympics?

Not yet. :)
Today snowboard cross was also cool. It´s very refreshing to see many different sports.

Netherlands 1-2-3-4 clean sweep in 1500m. Did that ever happen?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Agree with Foxxy on Hockey. I'd also say to increase the width of the rink a little, and the space behind the goal (both are this way in international, versus the NHL), and most of all, the NHL (and Olympics, as possible) need to have more games played outside. It's proven to be hugely popular in the US and Canada, and the players like it as well.

To the bolded: That would be also great.
Outside games would only work where it is actually cold in winter. Sochi don´t fit in that category. ;)
But yeah next time in Pyeongchang if their climate qualifies...

somehow i haven't been that into the games. watched some xc-skiing, biathlon and speed skating. all good, but the spirit isn't there.

and oh, surely I dislike the "cold war stuff 2" that's involved, but it takes two to tango (TTIP and TPP, anyone?). and thus the lack of enthusiasm on my part is mainly about something else.

Do Eurosport have rights to the winter olympics in Europe. Because they don't here which is really sad as it leaves it all to the god awful bbc.

Eg right now Canada are facing Finland in ice hockey but bbc are showing replay of the Russia match earlier today for the 3rd time. Also there was 0 coverage and 0 highlights of the mens 1500 yesterday. Even on the website all they show is a 2 minute clip of what happened.

God forbid Eurosport ever lose cycling rights to these theiving ****s.

The Hitch said:
Do Eurosport have rights to the winter olympics in Europe. Because they don't here which is really sad as it leaves it all to the god awful bbc.

Eg right now Canada are facing Finland in ice hockey but bbc are showing replay of the Russia match earlier today for the 3rd time. Also there was 0 coverage and 0 highlights of the mens 1500 yesterday. Even on the website all they show is a 2 minute clip of what happened.

no.

hjkjhlljhllhlk

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Thx god we still have a little bit Germany left in Germany. Everything goes down a bit yearly until we are totally americanized (speak; sold to the ever greedy US coorperations, and all the $hit that comes with it)...
We have everything on free TV and livestreams on the internet. We don´t miss a second of anything, even none of qualification matches in cross skiing or whatever. And no phucking commercial breaks either...
ESP didn´t want to pay the high prices the IOC was asking for (which I understand). These old basterds thought if they sell for absurd prices to the NBC, every other nation would fall for that $hit.
Don´t worry for cycling. As long its the lone doping scapegoat for everything, the prices will stay fair, thus giving ESP a chance to bid...

During the ice-hockey they mentioned the "big" international
rink dimensions of 200x100 feet wide compared to 200x85
in America and Canada. As a teen, I had the great fortune
to play a few games in Glasgow at Crossmyloof which was
a huge 225x97. Sadly, they paved paradise and put up a
parking lot.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Not yet. :)

Netherlands 1-2-3-4 clean sweep in 1500m. Did that ever happen?

Nope, a unique achievement.;)

The next clean sweep is expected in the 10km, which should lead to a never previously seen triple clean sweep by one country. Not even the DDR ever managed that.:D

Amsterhammer said:
Nope, a unique achievement.;)

The next clean sweep is expected in the 10km, which should lead to a never previously seen triple clean sweep by one country. Not even the DDR ever managed that.:D
The fear the Dutchies instil in their competition hasn't been seen since the Cold War either. Skobrev, Bokko, and Pedersen will forfeit the 10 k.

Belgium will be happy to welcome another top-5 for Swings... out of 5 competitors.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
God bless the USA!

Whaaa??? That's unamerican!
;)

Isn´t that awesome? :)
We are not disturbed by commercial breaks* that advertise needless things. Not in NFL games, not at the olympics. Must sound like paradise for US citizens.

(* a few commercial breaks come after the games, sometimes in halftime when nobody watches anyway. Zilch commercial breaks in the countless internet livestreams. Heaven, isn´t it? :D)

Problem is; time is running out for golden Germany it once was, when the last free TV events have to give way to commercial channels, or worse pay TV.
God bless America, indeed. ;)

Sorry for the belated comments on the men's xc-ski 4x10k, but... wtf., Norway?

My dad is an avid xc skier who does his own waxing (he just spent $150
on this tiny bottle of some kind of a wax powder he has to wear a face-mask for when he applies it), he said that even he could have done as good a waxing job as Norway seems to have done on that day. Heh, that's saying something.

On a different note - Don't really follow skicross at all, but I'm rather concerned about this gal, I'd be suprised if she doesn't end up a paraplegic. Hope for the best for her.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/...icross-racer-evacuated-suffering-broken-spine