• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Some advice for a new member please.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello All,

I have a Specialized Hard Rock with combination road and offroad tires. I got the bike when I lived in the Mojave desert and needed something that was versatile. However, I find myself only wanting to ride paved trails or on the road. Can you please offer some advice on a good starter road bike?

I am 6' 4" with a 35" inseam, which I understand will make it difficult for me to find a bike on the used market, but any help will be appreciated. I visited a local bike shop near me and they were not interested in providing service. I figure I should get more educated.

Munrab.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
If you are doing trails a lot and stuff thats a little big rougher than just smooth tarmac, have you not thought about a Cyclo Cross bike? Something like a Specialized Tricross?

As for starter road bikes - All entry level road bikes are fairly similar - best thing to do is check some of the bike shop websites to get the current bike prices. You might want to look for something that has a Sora groupset rather than the bog standard groupset.

Specialized Allez Sport or Trek 1.5 the best of the two big brands. But look around at other brands for better prices.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Munrab said:
Hello All,

I have a Specialized Hard Rock with combination road and offroad tires. I got the bike when I lived in the Mojave desert and needed something that was versatile. However, I find myself only wanting to ride paved trails or on the road. Can you please offer some advice on a good starter road bike?

I am 6' 4" with a 35" inseam, which I understand will make it difficult for me to find a bike on the used market, but any help will be appreciated. I visited a local bike shop near me and they were not interested in providing service. I figure I should get more educated.

Munrab.

Another bike shop using the 'business reduction' model I see. You may have to travel to a shop that does bike fits. Armed with this information, you could probably get an online bicycle with the proper top tube length and seat tube angle. Inseam means little. Femur length means lots(determines seat tube angle).

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks!!

Thank you guys. I will do some more research and see what I can find. I am not in a position, at the moment, to purchase but I thought I would start the process of looking, learning and becoming educated so I can make a decision, when the time comes. The biggest problem is my height, they just don't make things to fit us tall people:)

Munrab.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Munrab said:
Thank you guys. I will do some more research and see what I can find. I am not in a position, at the moment, to purchase but I thought I would start the process of looking, learning and becoming educated so I can make a decision, when the time comes. The biggest problem is my height, they just don't make things to fit us tall people:)

Munrab.

'They' do, just the mass marketeers like trekspecializedgiantcannondale don't. Many frame makers make frames that will work for you. Like was mentioned, Lennard Zinn, Waterford/Gunnar, others.

http://www.waterfordbikes.com
http://www.gunnarbikes.com

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:
'They' do, just the mass marketeers like trekspecializedgiantcannondale don't.

Actually, they do... A 61 frame will fit him no doubt and Specialized even has 64 frames in the Roubaix model.

TRENDING THREADS