• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Some interesting info about Lance here BigBoat

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
big heart is bs

Most of the extra ordinary physical characteristics of Mr. Armstrong have been refuted and been attributed to an overly imaginative research paper. As for the size of his heart I expect comparing it to a large cube of ice might characterize his heart better. Is he an elite athlete? No argument from me. Is he super Human. Some say he barely qualifies. I believe he is a top tier cyclist with a drive that might be characterized as extra. Anyone capable of winning 7 tours with or with out artificial assistance is about as elite as they get. If that qualifies as super human then there are others with his physical capabilities. I doubt there are many in any sport as focused as he is but there are Some. His chest isn't big enough for a heart that size and still have room for lungs and his ego
I think Linus from the peanuts cartoon is interested in pumpkins. Maybe he believes this story.:rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Endurance is simply a by-product of heart stroke volume and VO2 max.... Lance's heart is not the size of a pumpkin he he he... Indiana University Hospital listed his heart at "high normal" which is good but it doesnt make you a Tour winner. I dont know the size of the heart is even directly correlated to heart stroke either....

Now the more oxygen you can carry the more power you can produce... Its sustainable watts per kilo that wins Tours... Lactic does not effect power, it is dependent on power and has no correlation from person to person. You cannot say for example, that my heart rate is higher or lower than yours at threshold and therefore I can produce more power >> that is meaningless. Same with the lactic acid, some of higher and some have lower but it does not determine ability from person to person. Everyone has different heart rates and variablities and it means nothing>> its how many watts you can generate that determines how fast you go.

"You can train until your blue" but if your VO2 max is not high enough you cannot compete in a Grand Tour, unless you raise your oxygen carrying capacity >>>which VO2 max is a direct measurment of. Blood doping or EPO will bring VO2 max WAY up from an undoped state. Other less know 02 carriers that most top European pros didnt/dont have access to can increase it even more. The anti-anemia/ renal industry is HUGE and there are constantly new drugs on trial.

>>>> CC is actually known as one of the LESS Knowledgeable people on training. (compared to real trainers like Coggan). Ferrari was not known by riders in Europe (Hamsten, Andreau, etc) as a training doctor. He was very well known as an expert doping doctor however, the best. Betsy Andreau did a good interview with competitor radio about Ferrari... And Ferrari even admitted to a former US rider ( before he quit in the early 90s)that guys have seen up to a 30% sustainable power improvement on his "program." You dont see 30% on just EPO, test, HGH, Insulin, Cortizone, anabolic steroids, actovegin, amphetamines.... In fact ONLY with Ferrari does a pro see this type of doping improvement. (assuming training and un-doped ability is absolutely peaked). So 30% higher than whats possible for you un-doped state. So, if someone can maintain 320 watts for an hour, a 30% improvement would be 416 watts which is world class and infact higher than what ultra elite ProTour riders Evans and Adama Hansen had in last year's Tour de France!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Ferrari

IN FACT>
Erwann Menthéour even made this amusing comparison - that Eric Rijkaert, the doctor of the Festina team, was nicknamed "Punto" (a small model of Fiat automobile) for his carefulness compared to the high performances yielded by Ferrari.

Like Stern said in that old thread, Lance has everything to owe to Michele Ferrari!! They worked with each other from Oct. 1995-2004, and Lance has admitted he still sees Ferrari on a "friendship basis" to this very day.

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
I accept that cycling is full of cheaters - always has been and always will be. However, I still remember Lance kicking the crap out of adults when he was in his teens, winning national championships in sprint triathlons(yeah, Muzzin knows that sprint triathlon is hardly euro racing). But my point is that he is special - always has been. And if anyone out there is capable of winning in this sport clean, it his him.

I said he is "capable"..... But did he cheat? Time will tell. It always does.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Alpe d'Huez said:
Holy crap, it's Barry Muzzin! :cool:

picture.php

7-11 Team Leader, early 1980's, "The American Cannibal".

• Winner of the 1984 Hell of the West.
• Winner of the 1984 US Olympic Trials.
• Runner up in the 1985 Hell of the West (to rookie David Summers).

I always wondered what happened to him. Glad he's here posting in the forums!

;)

Barry Muzzin said:
I accept that cycling is full of cheaters - always has been and always will be. However, I still remember Lance kicking the crap out of adults when he was in his teens, winning national championships in sprint triathlons(yeah, Muzzin knows that sprint triathlon is hardly euro racing). But my point is that he is special - always has been. And if anyone out there is capable of winning in this sport clean, it his him.

I said he is "capable"..... But did he cheat? Time will tell. It always does.

Unfortunately at the pro level, it's not considered "cheating." But simply "how the game is played." The old adige that it is only cheating if one gets caught, has been turned into a bonafide culture in the era pharmceutical sports. And not just cylcing. I know this is an all too cynical approach for many to accept, however, that doesn't change the reality of it (in my opinion).

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site

It's nice to be recognized...has anyone seen Sergei Belov around here?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Barry Muzzin said:

It's nice to be recognized...has anyone seen Sergei Belov around here?

Last I saw, he was headin for the testing van.

TRENDING THREADS