• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sora/105 compatibility?

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. I've currently got a fairly old Raleigh road bike with Sora components. It's about to go in for a complete strip down service and I've been wanting to upgrade the groupset for a while now.

I may end up doing this in stages so what is the compatibility like between Sora and 105 components. Can I just stick on an 8spd set of 105 shifters or are there other components that will need to be upgraded for this to work?

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dex

*EDIT*

In addition to this, would it be easier to 'mix and match' with Sora and Tiagra?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
You need to give specific details of your current, as well as proposed components in order to determine compatibility.

In general, if you're replacing 8 speed stuff with 8 speed , it'll be fine.

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks lostintime.

I've had a look on this drivetrain chart and it seems to indicate that I could upgrade certain parts to Tiagra with not too much trouble.

I currently have Sora 8spd rear and double on the front. Will be getting her out in the morning and double checking all the components and comparing them to the chart.

Dexter said:
Hello everyone. I've currently got a fairly old Raleigh road bike with Sora components. It's about to go in for a complete strip down service and I've been wanting to upgrade the groupset for a while now.

I may end up doing this in stages so what is the compatibility like between Sora and 105 components. Can I just stick on an 8spd set of 105 shifters or are there other components that will need to be upgraded for this to work?

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dex

*EDIT*

In addition to this, would it be easier to 'mix and match' with Sora and Tiagra?

105 STI, 8s or 9s, will work with the front and rear derailleur you have on there now. If 9s, all you need to upgrade is cogset and chain. Ders are fine.

TRENDING THREADS