• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sour grapes LeMond

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Do we have to read LeMond's latest sour comments!? He was dropped by Trek partly due to his sour, "half-empty" attitude and he continues to smear it onto cycling whenever he can. Let's collectively forget about him. He's the dope in cycling.

ivishnu said:
Do we have to read LeMond's latest sour comments!? He was dropped by Trek partly due to his sour, "half-empty" attitude and he continues to smear it onto cycling whenever he can. Let's collectively forget about him. He's the dope in cycling.

I trust that he is smart enough to actually look at the list of threads and notice that there is a similar thread on the first page, especially before making his very first post. Too bad you are not half as bright.

Lemond has been proven right over and over again. Suck it, fanboys.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
ivishnu said:

Yeah, that's how to forget about him, make a post and call him a dope.

Don't let your negative opinions of him get in the way of what he's saying, if you can get past your blinding hatred. He's like a mad professor. . . . kinda wacky , but he knows his stuff.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
I trust that he is smart enough to actually look at the list of threads and notice that there is a similar thread on the first page, especially before making his very first post. Too bad you are not half as bright.

Lemond has been proven right over and over again.
Suck it, fanboys.

+1.....................

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Sour grapes make bad whine

If you could read you would see he said if the calculations are correct. Sort of like going to war over WMDs that did not exist.

Certainly a 90+ vO2 is a bit of a hard one to choke down, but if the it was a dope who did the calculations, then he is the one you should go after.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Read the whole article about the situation, the numbers were miscalculated and inflated. LeMond didn't check his source for the accuracy of the numbers.

"Taking everything into consideration, I'd say that a more reasonable estimate of Contador's power during that ascent is about 450 W, which would require a sustained VO2 of 'only' 80 mL/kg/min. That is still quite high, but not so high that you can definitively state that it can only be achieved via doping."

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ivishnu said:

LeMond was once great. Now, like those who complain, blame and ridicule at this forum, LeMond has lost his way. He's overweight and mentally unstable. It's a sad commentary on what has become of the corrupted American "Life-Style."

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
He seems to be monstrously paranoid. I used to think it was just a Lance/Hinault are a *** sort of thing, but he seems to take aim at any of the outstanding champs. Did he get after Indurain too?

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps he could of researched his facts better but even when the numbers were questioned it is said that he wasn't way off. I agree when he says that modern pro cycling is unrecognisible. About 10-15 minutes after a huge mountain stage they are giving interviews and not even sweating.

Lemond could certainly be a little more clever in his criticisms but I have never seen such blindness and denial of the facts as I have on a lot of posts here. If Lemond is some crackpot then look at the evidence he (and others)talk about. You might find he is on the money with a lot of things.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
LeMond was once great. Now, like those who complain, blame and ridicule at this forum, LeMond has lost his way. He's overweight and mentally unstable. It's a sad commentary on what has become of the corrupted American "Life-Style."

He could still kick your azz on a bike...dill hole!!

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
This guy seriously needs to shut the um "something" up. Every time he opens his mouth his credibility drops. He seems like a sour old man with nothing better to do with his life then complain. Cycling is and always has been a dirty sport, get over it. I guess he didn't get the big hint when Trek dropped him.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
ivishnu said:

typical. more concerned about the person then the process. you arent listening to him anyway so why b!atch about it

shoot the messenger with out listening to the message. it isnt black and white

It could be a lot of things but it certainly in not sour grapes. the one thing he has been is consistent with his message and he follows up with support to his topic

If you want sour grapes read any of the latest quotes from The Badger regarding LA

I am not saying he is right or wrong

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
He just seems to say anyone that is winning is a doper, he did it to Armstrong for years and now he is doing it to Contador. That seems to be his only criteria for saying whether someone is clean or not. I don't see why he is so concerned in trying to bring people down? Isn't that the job of the UCI and the race organizers. If any athlete in American sports came out and started calling people out for drugs they would be buried instantly, al la Jose Canseco.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
ivishnu said:

Trek dropped Lemond because it pleased Armstrong. I too am tired of Lemond's rants, but has the guy ever been wrong? We cannot prove him right or wrong, but the things he says do make sense. I am just so tired of the doping and its associated arguments.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Is it right to shout 'doper' in a crowded peloton?

Greg is getting less logical as time goes by. He's a bit hasty to toss out accusations on somewhat flimsy pretenses. Anyone can do that - just look at this forum.

Wait until all samples are processed - it did take a while to catch DiLuca.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
lemond, doping, etc.

greg was really the inspiration for the american renaissance of bicycling, including armstrong himself. that said, i really dont like his comments, for many reasons:
1. remember blood transfusion in the 84 olympics? how is that different than epo? and that was quite prevalent in those days, so dont tell anyone the peloton was clean in the 'hinault-lemond' days. may be not epo, but drugs improve all the time
2. remember lemond 'medical' problems coming back from the gunshot accident? his masseusse giacomo or whatever his name was found out a magic remedy for his low red blood cell count (if that was the problem), and he went on to win two more tours after that (interesting what was the remedy)
3. how come the peloton was going much faster ever since? is it just one cyclist taking epo? most of them apparently do. some take more and some less, some getting caught and dont. some benefit more than others. but dont tell me that the only reason a 37 year old armstrong gets out of the saddle and bridge a gap is that special epo he is taking, but nobody else
4. losing weight makes an immense difference in the hills - so thats a valid reason for both armstrong, wiggins, indurain, etc. doing better in the mountains than before (greg lemond never lost real weight - but he had a tremendous talent, no questions about that).
just my thoughts

May 11, 2009
Visit site
What a lot of people (including Lemond perhaps) fail to take into account is that top riders now target what races they aim to win, go out and ride the key stages several times, train for that race, and ride bikes* tailored to specific stages. They ride other races as training and work as domestiques to garner team support. Another factor is that top riders now use modern nutritional, exercise, and psychological science in their training and racing. Take the UK's track racing program for example.

I've heard that some athletes drink oxygen rich water and oxygen rich food to facilitate digestion rather than using blood oxygen. I can't find any reliable evidence for this but it an interesting hypothesis.

* Two of Greg's TdF bikes are on display at the ADT Velodrome. It is amazing how ancient they look today.

Robert Merivel said:

Greg, meet Lance, Lance meet Greg, Bobby D, meet a mirror.........

If we are expected to accept what we get force fed via the King of Twatter, then Greg has a right to be heard, too.

Still, nice to see you defending Contador, on this one. More than can be said of "Pop's idol".

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Avanti, your post is idiotic, Greg LeMond was one of the first riders to target the tour during their season, and technology hasn't changed that much since he raced, since the UCI has imposed a weight limit on bikes, if i remember correctly, he had a 16 pound full carbon fiber bike made by craig calfee in the 1991 Tour.
Why does everyone jump on the "Vayer is incorrect" bandwagon, how do we know Coggan isn't wrong. Have any of you guys done the calculations and know the wattage that Contador really did in his epic climb. If you guys read any of his other articles i don't think he has anything against Contador, more that records are being broken left and right from riders and everyone accepts them, and when anyone says "hey this smells fishy" they are ridiculed as whiney fat has beens. Personally i find it weird that Contador put 43 seconds on andy schleck, one of the best climbers in the world, while contador looked like he was out on a sunday ride.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
contador

as a matter of fact, contador attack vs the schlecks brothers, then waiting for kloeden to come back, then go with the schlecks again, remind be a lot of bjorn riis on the climbs when he won the tour. when you attack on the hills to drop your main rivals, you never look back, unless you get caught. interesting...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
He just seems to say anyone that is winning is a doper, he did it to Armstrong for years and now he is doing it to Contador. That seems to be his only criteria for saying whether someone is clean or not. I don't see why he is so concerned in trying to bring people down? Isn't that the job of the UCI and the race organizers. If any athlete in American sports came out and started calling people out for drugs they would be buried instantly, al la Jose Canseco.

The question is do you believe you are witnessing a clean Tour?

From your earlier answers I suspect not. A lot of what is going on is suspect and it is right that it is highlighted. Of course it should be journalists who should be asking the hard questions - but they are only interested in the sideshow.

There is little doubt that Lemond has some personal issues - I think his fight against doping is part of his proccess to heal himself.
However he is not bitter - he is bloody angry though, thats a huge difference.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
AAMilne said:
greg was really the inspiration for the american renaissance of bicycling, including armstrong himself. that said, i really dont like his comments, for many reasons:
1. remember blood transfusion in the 84 olympics? how is that different than epo? and that was quite prevalent in those days, so dont tell anyone the peloton was clean in the 'hinault-lemond' days. may be not epo, but drugs improve all the time
2. remember lemond 'medical' problems coming back from the gunshot accident? his masseusse giacomo or whatever his name was found out a magic remedy for his low red blood cell count (if that was the problem), and he went on to win two more tours after that (interesting what was the remedy)
3. how come the peloton was going much faster ever since? is it just one cyclist taking epo? most of them apparently do. some take more and some less, some getting caught and dont. some benefit more than others. but dont tell me that the only reason a 37 year old armstrong gets out of the saddle and bridge a gap is that special epo he is taking, but nobody else
4. losing weight makes an immense difference in the hills - so thats a valid reason for both armstrong, wiggins, indurain, etc. doing better in the mountains than before (greg lemond never lost real weight - but he had a tremendous talent, no questions about that).
just my thoughts

Your points above have been well discussed in the 'decline of Lemond" thread in the clinic.
However point no 2 is something I have not seen before- do you have a link or do you remember where this was said or discussed?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
From your earlier answers I suspect not. A lot of what is going on is suspect and it is right that it is highlighted. Of course it should be journalists who should be asking the hard questions - but they are only interested in the sideshow.

There is little doubt that Lemond has some personal issues - I think his fight against doping is part of his proccess to heal himself.
However he is not bitter - he is bloody angry though, thats a huge difference.

He is writing articles everyday for Le Monde, and he is trying to tackle the difficult issues that he feels are important. He doesn't want to phone in articles that are just fluff pieces that doesn't deal with what he truly feels.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
What I find amazing, is that "all these new champions are dopers", but even with the advances in aerodynamics and the time they spend in the wind-tunnel, none of them can match his TT from '89 tour.

So, he, au naturale, could best all them even with their alleged doping and very real techincal advantages? C'mon, get real.

TRENDING THREADS