• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Specialized Allez?

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Anyone had one of these? How are they? Was thinking about maybe getting a 2nd hand one (first bike).

the carbon allez epic was the whippiest bike that i have owned. if you are talking about the steel allez it was decent entry level frame.

ed rader

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Specialized has a bike on the market called the Allez Classic. It is very inexpensive and low-tech. It has down-tube shifters, which would be a disadvantage in racing but just fine for club rides and general fitness riding.

The best thing about the Allez Classic is that it has a steel frame. The standard Allez is aluminum, which I would not suggest to anyone.

If you are looking for a great price on a new bike that would be a lot of fun for general riding, I think the Allez Classic is a great choice.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Entirely a personal preference, but I hate the way Specialized Bikes ride; it has nothing to do with components or performance, but I've never felt comfortable on one, so I don't recommend them. However, if you're comfortable on it, and it has decent components, then it might be the bike for you. Who am I to say otherwise?

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I bought one recently. I had a bad cycle crash years ago and have had neck problems since. In order to try to alleviate some of the pain I run with the top of the bars about 2 inches below the saddle height. With many large frames this can be quite difficult. However I discovered that the Specialized Allez has got quite a long head-tube (the Roubaix model is longer still). So I thought I'd give one a go. I bought the basic model, which after a discount cost £450 from my local bike. I stripped all the gear off it and replaced it with a combination of Campag, SRAM and other bits and pieces. The final weight has come out about 8.3 kgs. So far I've got no complaints, the frame seems okay, the only issue I have is the headset which is a very cheap one made just for Specialized, and difficult to replace. I've used steel and titanium frames in the past, and this is my first aluminium one, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I think you need to bear in mind the relatively high front end, will this suit you, or do you prefer to get lower on the bike?

For the most part I love my Allez, it's been a good bike for me. Mine is a 2003 so I've put a lot of km on it. The aluminum can be a bit of a rough ride, it can be a bit jarring on 100+ mile rides, but I find that it's fine for anything shorter. I think it's still pretty stiff (probably why the ride is a bit rough), I though it was comparable in stiffness to some of the better carbon bikes.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Anyone had one of these? How are they? Was thinking about maybe getting a 2nd hand one (first bike).

Thats funny - there was a gentleman called Edwin who popped on to the forum asking for advice on buying a new bike - and he appeared to have his heart set on a Trek, but he appeared to end up getting a Specialized Allez.

Good luck with your search!

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Haha. Are you serious? I'd probably consider that tbh..
I'm semi serious. When I get back home I can send you a complete list, however the main bits and pieces are:

Shimano 2300 8-speed groupset - chainset, gears, and shifters
Specialized - bars, saddle, tyres
Promax - dual-pivot brakes
KMC - chain

I'll need to check what the wheels are.

If you Google the Shimano stuff you'll get an idea of what it costs. The 2300 group is one of Shimano's cheapest (if not the cheapest), so I'm not pretending it's high end in any way. None of the above has ever been used.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
No good.

If you're after a second hand bike, get yourself a Colnago instead. Best frames in the world for decades. End of story.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
laziali said:
No good.

If you're after a second hand bike, get yourself a Colnago instead. Best frames in the world for decades. End of story.
Would it matter whether the Colnago was built in Italy or Taiwan? I'm assuming Colnago fans would prefer Italian built frames.

I can see a Taiwanese built Colnago Ramarro on a famous auction site at the moment with a start price of £299.99, however from the scratches on the rear mech it looks as if it might have been crashed.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
Would it matter whether the Colnago was built in Italy or Taiwan? I'm assuming Colnago fans would prefer Italian built frames.

I can see a Taiwanese built Colnago Ramarro on a famous auction site at the moment with a start price of £299.99, however from the scratches on the rear mech it looks as if it might have been crashed.

Obviously if we're talking steel, then it will be Italian made, probably from Columbus-sourced tubing. For example, the Master Extra Light is phenomenal.

For second hand carbon fibre frames, the best ones are those made in Cambiago like the legendary C40 or the C50 or Extreme C. The one exception is the Taiwanese monocoque front triangle/Cambiaso assembled rear triangle CX-1 which I can say from personal experience is a fabulous ride and in my view better than my Master.

I would avoid the Taiwanese made CLX carbon frame or any of the Aluminium ones (eg Arte), but again ride preference is personal.

Found an Allez for sale - 58cm alu frame, Tiagra groupset, Shimano WH-RS10 wheelset, carbon forks etc. The guy says he'll throw in a helmet, hi-vis stuff, front & back lights, pump and repair set as well. And he lives 15 minutes away. All for £290..

4154236.jpg

Should I go for it?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
luckyboy said:
Found an Allez for sale - 58cm alu frame, Tiagra groupset, Shimano WH-RS10 wheelset, carbon forks etc. The guy says he'll throw in a helmet, hi-vis stuff, front & back lights, pump and repair set as well. And he lives 15 minutes away. All for £290..

Should I go for it?

Sweet deal, except for the helmet. Is it used? I don't know about using something somebody else sweat in. Get your own helmet. ;)

Yeah, I think everything's used. I'll get a new helmet anyway. Just need to get a saddle bag, chain, shoes and bib tights now.

Oh, one more thing - the chainring is 53/34, and isn't that close to what pro's use? :confused: I've had a look around what people use, and nobody uses a setup like that. Could just get a smaller one put in anyway..

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
luckyboy said:
Oh, one more thing - the chainring is 53/34, and isn't that close to what pro's use? :confused: I've had a look around what people use, and nobody uses a setup like that. Could just get a smaller one put in anyway..

Take a look at that sizing again, doesn't sound right. Should be either 53 or 52/39 (Standard), or 50/34 (Compact). Yes, lot's of pros use the bigger Standard set up for various reasons, mostly for power. Pros also use the Compact set up for hilly races, but the Compact drive really makes sense for the general consumer because most people cannot Push a 53 or 52t without crossing the chain up too much unless they're going downhill. That cross wears parts out faster. Oh, and you cannot just switch your rings from Comp. to Std. or visa-versa. I'm going to guess it's a compact set up from what I can see in the pic, which isn't much, and what you said. Make sure.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Heh, despite all the stuff I've read I still know barely anything about that kind of thing..

Oh yeah, it says "Chainrings: 50/34 tooth chainrings, Cassette: Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed, 11-25 tooth range"

My bad..

Looks okay, check the wheels are running true. Others here can give you a list of to things to check.

I've checked out the Allez with Tiagra and found this one:

`The same winning package of A1 premium frame and carbon forks, the Allez Elite also benefits from Mavic CXP-22 rims and a full Shimano Tiagra groupset.

Key features

* Allez A1 Premium aluminium
* Allez carbon fork
* Mavic CXP-22 N rims
* Tiagra groupset'

If this is one you're looking at the new price appears to be £799.99!

Ugh, the seller sold it to someone else this morning despite telling me that he was only free tonight at 8pm. Sucks. ****er.

Now, the options I've been looking at are another 08 Allez (however, the frame size might be too small), a year old Giant Defy 2.5, and a Gianr SCR3.

Any opinions on the Giants? The Defy looks pretty good.

TRENDING THREADS