• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Speedplay pedals - yay or nay?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Interestingly, I finally got my speedplay zeros working right and I'm not actually sure what I did. I had removed them this season and gone back to my Time RXSes. After riding my Time's for a few rides, I found myself accidentally clipping out every so often so I remounted the speedplays and they're now actually easy to clip into.

What happened? Got me.

fabramowski said:
$2.00 for the tool to unscrew the dust cap. I just relube my shimano pedals a couple of days ago. Very easy, first time in two years of any kind of work. I would have to relube my speedplays every week because the weak o-ring is not enough to do any kind of sealing. just like BB30 seals. Junk...

Taking the spindle out and shoving lube in there isn't 'fixing' anything. Fall on a Look pedal. Call Look and ask for a pedal body or bearings or spindle or springs or....., let me know what they say.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Taking the spindle out and shoving lube in there isn't 'fixing' anything. Fall on a Look pedal. Call Look and ask for a pedal body or bearings or spindle or springs or....., let me know what they say.

The only pair of look pedals I have are on my Lemond Revmaster and they did replace a broken spindle for free since it was a recall. In my many years of riding how do you fall on your pedals????? you might slip and bust a shin but toaly fall onto them....got me... for shimano pedals you just add new grease inside the pedal body and the old grease is forced out as seen here:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/spd-pedal-overhaul
I have never had a chance to call Look or Shinamo so I wouldn't know what they would say...:D I never said "fix"....so were did that come from...

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I'll admit that Speedplay pedals require more maintenance than all the other plug and play pedals out there, so if you can't get used to the idea of actually taking care of another thing on your bike they're probably not for you. I push new grease through the pedals once a month and regularly blow out my cleats with an air compressor then oil the spring.

I totally agree. Its nothing to put a little grease once in a while and lube the cleats. No biggie in my books. I can't wait to go speedplay zeros this spring/summer. I've been on look, time, and now dura ace. Its time for the lollipops !

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Interestingly, I finally got my speedplay zeros working right and I'm not actually sure what I did. I had removed them this season and gone back to my Time RXSes. After riding my Time's for a few rides, I found myself accidentally clipping out every so often so I remounted the speedplays and they're now actually easy to clip into.

What happened? Got me.
You finally got the cleat mounting plate perfectly flat. It took three attempts and I finally got mine to work. It wasn't easy. I had to get out the file and knock down the tilted-up ends of the mounting screws and use my kitchen counter as a "granite plate" to check flatness.

I passed on speedplays lube and found spray Teflon in a huge can for $3 at the napa parts counter. A massive application of that helped. My bearings were creaky so I fabbed up a needle grease gun from napa parts for $15 and some blue marine grease took care of the creaks.

What an ordeal! The upshot is that my knees feel much better. I'm not sure if it's the pedals or just because of fresh Sidis that I bought at the same time as the pedals.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Took a pair of Zero's out today & quite impressed , positive click in & out & have most of the float screwed out or (in).
Things I didnt like:
cleat are megaslippery not just for a little walk to the bike I found more the problem was if you missed the pedal a little with carbon sole shoes, maybe I will experiment with sticking something on the alloy , i'm amazed the litigious Americans havent seen this implemented yet.
2. when setting up the fore-aft setting you cant easily experiment on the road without taking the 4 screws out every time , I know that is not a problem with the Time 4 bolt fixing shoes but not many of them out there . I'm amazed that Speedplay havent marketed their own shoes given the complexity of cleat fit with adaptor , plus big margins in a carbon soled Chinese shoes nowadays.
3. Those stupid screw heads for adjusting the float , I had to look around the toolbox for 10 minutes to find a screwdriver small enough then had to clamp another spanner onto it to get enough torque...what the hell is wrong with an allenkey ?

These are reasonably minor quibbles as i found the adjustment & anatomics to be the best in the business but given that Richard Bryne seems such a perfectionist they seem quite easy things to get perfect.

fabramowski said:
The only pair of look pedals I have are on my Lemond Revmaster and they did replace a broken spindle for free since it was a recall. In my many years of riding how do you fall on your pedals????? you might slip and bust a shin but toaly fall onto them....got me... for shimano pedals you just add new grease inside the pedal body and the old grease is forced out as seen here:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/spd-pedal-overhaul
I have never had a chance to call Look or Shinamo so I wouldn't know what they would say...:D I never said "fix"....so were did that come from...

I'll tell you how I busted my Speedplays. I'm doing 41km/h (Garmin reading) when I cross wheels with the guy in front. The front wheel goes sideways, I go over the handlebars and my bike goes hurtling across the track, grinding away on all surfaces.. but especially the pedals. Pick your bike up and throw it across the road, it will be the pedals that take the brunt of the fall.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
AnythingButKestrel said:
You finally got the cleat mounting plate perfectly flat. It took three attempts and I finally got mine to work. It wasn't easy. I had to get out the file and knock down the tilted-up ends of the mounting screws and use my kitchen counter as a "granite plate" to check flatness.

I passed on speedplays lube and found spray Teflon in a huge can for $3 at the napa parts counter. A massive application of that helped. My bearings were creaky so I fabbed up a needle grease gun from napa parts for $15 and some blue marine grease took care of the creaks.

What an ordeal! The upshot is that my knees feel much better. I'm not sure if it's the pedals or just because of fresh Sidis that I bought at the same time as the pedals.

That's interesting. I know my screw heads on the bottom plate were sticking up a bit because the paint was worn off the edges closest to the center of the bottom plate. I used a straight edge to make sure that bottom plate was flat too this time.

I did alter my cleat position too so maybe that helped with the flatness.

I do agree that when you get the cleat mounted propertly, they do work really nice and theyr'e finally completely quiet for me.

TRENDING THREADS