• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Speeds are down (or not)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gregga said:
Actually, De Maar's data's on Strava are from his power meter (409w for the mirador climb, that's about 6w/kg if he's 68-70kg as internet seems to tell) http://www.strava.com/activities/108969475/segments/2375687973
De Maar doing 6w/kg was about one minute behind Quintana, so 6,5w/kg for Quintana seems credible but not Froomesque (6.8 w/kg for same duration in Vuelta 2012)

Cheers for the link, doesn't show for me though (would be good to have the actual SRM chart). Keep in mind that if you don't have the weight exact then it's still very problematic.

406 / 68 = 5.97 * 1.06 = 6.33

406 / 66 = 6.15 * 1.06 = 6.52

406 / 70 = 5.80 * 1.06 = 6.15

I have a hard time believing Marc de Maar, or anyone outside the top 8 managed >6 W/kg even for 17 minutes. 17' @ 6.2 - 6.3 for Quintana isn't really unexpected.

Ferminal said:
Cheers for the link, doesn't show for me though (would be good to have the actual SRM chart). Keep in mind that if you don't have the weight exact then it's still very problematic.

Know this: relying on Strava numbers is a terrible idea. Relying on their estimations of riders on the same route is a terrible idea.

I won't hijack the thread, but the basic idea is ALL GPS tracks at Strava have no basis in GIS encoded roads at all.

Try doing a ride with two devices, one poorly calibrated and discover two different worlds of user-defined segments for the same road with different times, distance, segment, etc. That's because they don't fit the track to GIS encoded roads before quantizing. PM me with any questions.