• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sporting Fraud??

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
C'mon, Sporting Fraud - Really?
Come On.

Lance's Defense Team will have to show the American Prosecutors that
Euro Pro Cycling & the Tour de France are as AUTHENTIC as US Pro Wrestling.

tour-topper.jpg
pic by splitzwheel

Get Greg on the stand under oath to discuss what he saw pre-Lance,
maybe get Alberto on the stand to discuss OP and Manolo.
Eddy and Big Mig as Character Witnesses.

And forget the Power Point Defense, Lance should hire F. Lee Bailey, Robert Shapiro, Alan Dershowitz...maybe get DNA Experts Barry Scheck and Peter Neufeld. Dream Team ReUnion 2010. Too bad Johnnie Cochran did lot live long enough to witness the 2005 TdF and "Believe" Podium Speech.

Anyway, Play by Play by Van Susteren, O'Reilly, and Roll.
Awesome.
The TV Ratings would top the TdF Ratings - that is for SURE!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Idiotic post.

I'll never have this 30 seconds of my life back either.

Polish said:
Come On.

Lance's Defense Team will have to show the American Prosecutors that
Euro Pro Cycling & the Tour de France are as AUTHENTIC as US Pro Wrestling.

tour-topper.jpg
pic by splitzwheel

Get Greg on the stand under oath to discuss what he saw pre-Lance,
maybe get Alberto on the stand to discuss OP and Manolo.
Eddy and Big Mig as Character Witnesses.

And forget the Power Point Defense, Lance should hire F. Lee Bailey, Robert Shapiro, Alan Dershowitz...maybe get DNA Experts Barry Scheck and Peter Neufeld. Dream Team ReUnion 2010. Too bad Johnnie Cochran did lot live long enough to witness the 2005 TdF and "Believe" Podium Speech.

Anyway, Play by Play by Van Susteren, O'Reilly, and Roll.
Awesome.
The TV Ratings would top the TdF Ratings - that is for SURE!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Idiocy is a common theme among the Lance fanboys. Expect them to flaunt their stupidity more openly as the noose tightens around their hero.

Why is the sporting fraud refutation "idiotic"?

This thread surely is some kind of fraud. A title that makes you look then all there is to see is a picture and some random words.

I hope you're not on Lances defence team as he might get the chair with defence like that!

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
We should be able to put entire threads on 'ignore'. I read the 1st post and about 7 seconds in realized that it was a terrible crash and burn post. But later on I clicked on 'New Posts' and this was there, and I unwittingly clicked on it.

The mentalness of the disciples of the 1st church of fraud is remarkable and grotesque. And even when I try to look away, I am duped into seeing it again.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Why is the sporting fraud refutation "idiotic"?

Because it does not refute, it is just another to confuse the issue.

The fraud was perpetrated on the sponsors who money was used to dope and SCA who paid millions.....to pretend it was against Ulrich or Pantani is just another deliberate attempt to confuse the topic.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Come On.

It's been said that the Feds generally allow sporting governing authorities to police and sanction their own athletes. I see the Feds making some stink, interviewing a bunch of people, and eventually (many months to years later) make a quiet announcement that there is nothing substantial to pursue.

Is this bad for cycling? Not really, as it applies additional pressure to clean up it's sport. So all this will have an upside.

Is it bad for team Armstrong? Yes in the short-term, as this will prove to be a massive detraction that will surely derail the tour preparations if not outright threaten the invitation. Landis will get what he really wants, which is a payback of sorts.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I didn't see a "sporting fraud refutation." Did you really see one? Because there isn't one this thread thus far.

The OP refutes the idea that a sporting fraud case could hold water.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
It's been said that the Feds generally allow sporting governing authorities to police and sanction their own athletes. I see the Feds making some stink, interviewing a bunch of people, and eventually (many months to years later) make a quiet announcement that there is nothing substantial to pursue.

Is this bad for cycling? Not really, as it applies additional pressure to clean up it's sport. So all this will have an upside.

Is it bad for team Armstrong? Yes in the short-term, as this will prove to be a massive detraction that will surely derail the tour preparations if not outright threaten the invitation. Landis will get what he really wants, which is a payback of sorts.

If we're talking about a federal investigation of sporting fraud, there is no way it will move fast enough to have any impact on preparations for the 2010 TDF.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
If we're talking about a federal investigation of sporting fraud, there is no way it will move fast enough to have any impact on preparations for the 2010 TDF.

I think so. The distraction on the individuals participating will certainly be significant. ASO might just pull the plug on Radio Shack altogether without much due diligence regarding allegations... They have been known to do as much previously.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Because it does not refute, it is just another to confuse the issue.

The fraud was perpetrated on the sponsors who money was used to dope and SCA who paid millions.....to pretend it was against Ulrich or Pantani is just another deliberate attempt to confuse the topic.

Lance DID win the 2004 TdF. He deserved that bonus.
Dishonest of SCA to try and weasel out of the contract.
Who do you think won the race?

1 Lance Armstrong United States US Postal 83h 36' 02'
2 Andreas Klöden Germany T-Mobile Team 6' 19"
3 Ivan Basso Italy Team CSC 6' 40"
4 Jan Ullrich Germany T-Mobile Team 8' 50"
5 José Azevedo Portugal US Postal 14' 30"
6 Francisco Mancebo Spain Illes Balears-Banesto 18' 01"
7 Georg Totschnig Austria Gerolsteiner 18' 27"
8 Carlos Sastre Spain Team CSC 19' 51"
9 Levi Leipheimer United States Rabobank 20' 12"
10 Óscar Pereiro Spain Phonak 22' 54

ALL Pro Cycling Teams have massive budgets for team Doctors and Medical Supplies. It has been like that for decades. The Postal's medical records and paper trails will be extensive no doubt. Yawn.

But My biggest worry is that federal agent Jeff Novitzky is a FanBoy whose bubble will be burst. Yikes, those guys can get awfully testy:(

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
to pretend it was against Ulrich or Pantani is just another deliberate attempt to confuse the topic.

Lucky he did not pretend that then. Armstrong's face is there too, or are you blind?

Polish's point is fairly obvious - drugs were part of the sport for many years, including all of Armstrong's top rivals.

Think about this. If Armstrong is a sporting fraud, who was the real winner of the TdF? Ulrich and his 30 trips to a blood doping clinic? Pantani and his 60% crit? Basso? Landis? Vino?

C'mon.

(This account will terminate in 10, 9, 8 etc)

Well, this thread is another demonstration that the argument is finally over - even Armstrong's supporters don't seek to claim that he didn't dope anymore. Even the BPC guy doesn't claim it any more. What's the latest - he doped but shouldn't go to jail because he didn't defraud his actual competitors because they were doping too. It's over.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
"And faith unfaithful kept him falsely true. "

Race Radio said:
While Polish has done his best to confuse to issue by pretending this is about beating dopers SI has a better overview of some of the potential legal issues

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_mccann/05/25/lance.armstrong/index.html

As you will see no mention of sporting fraud.

Good, because "Sporting Fraud" sure seems to miss the mark.
Glad we cleared that up

BTW, it was the NYTimes article that insinuated "Sporting Fraud".
They also (incorrectly?) claimed Mrs Armstrong was cooperating.

R.0.t.O said:
Well, this thread is another demonstration that the argument is finally over - even Armstrong's supporters don't seek to claim that he didn't dope anymore. Even the BPC guy doesn't claim it any more. What's the latest - he doped but shouldn't go to jail because he didn't defraud his actual competitors because they were doping too. It's over.

Yeah it's been quite a journey:
Never would put that stuff into body after cancer treatment
No proof
Never been santioned
to finally, they all do it.

TRENDING THREADS