• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SPOTY

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Netserk said:
I'm a bit surprised that Karabatic didn't rank higher. Has he become less popular after the match fixing conviction? He is arguably the GOAT in handball and was the MVP when France won the WC at home.
The main highlight of his season was eleven months ago, and that counts. The match-fixing conviction did not help of course.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
I know two of those, lol
I didn't know any.

But then France won the Davis Cup, and I know a few guys from that team.
Fourcade is an absolute superstar in Biathlon (actually quite fun) and we have quite a handball tradition in Denmark so something must we wrong with you if you don't know Karabatic, at least by name. But from an outside view, quite a lot of randoms...

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
I know two of those, lol
I didn't know any.

Fourcade is an absolute superstar in Biathlon (actually quite fun) and we have quite a handball tradition in Denmark so something must we wrong with you if you don't know Karabatic, at least by name. But from an outside view, quite a lot of randoms...
Teddy Riner hasn't lost a match since 2010 (144 consecutive victories), has won 2 Olympics and 10 worlds championships. :D

Alexandre B. said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
I know two of those, lol
I didn't know any.

Teddy Riner hasn't lost a match since 2010 (144 consecutive victories), has won 2 Olympics and 10 worlds championships. :D
Unfortunately niche sports struggle ordinarily as people wonder how stiff the opposition was.

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
I have no idea who any of those people are? Do french people know about this sport called football, cycling, basketbal or even tennis? Surprised not a single racket-sport player made the list.
Don't worry, Federer and Nadal took all the glory on the international classification, and Caroline Garcia is 2nd french sportswoman of the year according to L’Équipe (which is quite laughable in my opinion). As for football, Mbappe is 7th french sportsman of the year (according to L’Équipe).

Singer01 said:
Alexandre B. said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
I know two of those, lol
I didn't know any.

Unfortunately niche sports struggle ordinarily as people wonder how stiff the opposition was.
Idunno, a biathlete won the German one as well (Laura Dahlmeier) though they split out for genders. Biathletes frequently win the women's one there. It helps that it's wintersport season now so while their achievements are way back in the year (Dahlmeier entered 5 races at the World Championships and came home with four golds and a silver) those sports' fanbases are energized by the new season. Fourcade has had to deal with journalists describing his achievements as easily forgotten because he doesn't do "proper", i.e. Alpine, skiing, so he's had to fight against that perception too, although JLC won it within the less competitive and smaller sport of Nordic Combined a few years ago too.

Singer01 said:
Alexandre B. said:
French SPOTY according to Eurosport:

1°) Martin Fourcade (Biathlon)
2°) Teddy Riner (Judo)
3°) Kévin Mayer (Athletics)
4°) Pierre-Ambroise Bosse (Athletics)
5°) Tessa Worley (Alpine Skiing)
6°) Sébastien Ogier (Rally)
7°) Nikola Karabatic (Handball)
8°) Yohann Diniz (Athletics)
9°) Armel Le Cléac'h (Sailing)
10°) Camille Lacourt (Swimming)

No cyclists, as expected.
I've hardly heard of any of them. French sportsmen must be shite. It was ok to be rude and dismissive of peoples achievements discussing uk spoty so I assume this is ok as well?

Lol...i see what you did there :lol:

I appreciate the diversity of these SPOTY lists, in America it would be 10 athletes all of whom play American Football or basketball...with maybe one baseball player. Olympic sports are totally overlooked and under appreciated outside of the time the actual Olympics are on and even then it's only about the medal count really.

NorthAmericanScum said:
I appreciate the diversity of these SPOTY lists, in America it would be 10 athletes all of whom play American Football or basketball...with maybe one baseball player. Olympic sports are totally overlooked and under appreciated outside of the time the actual Olympics are on and even then it's only about the medal count really.
This...

NorthAmericanScum said:
Michael Phelps had to win 8 gold to win sports illustrated sportsman od the year.