• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sprinters 2020

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What do we think of the average power of Dylan Groenewegen? There was a headwind at the finish and is he now more focusing on the longer sprints?

ERtgJmaWkAAHP8-.jpg

What do we think of the average power of Dylan Groenewegen? There was a headwind at the finish and is he now more focusing on the longer sprints?

ERtgJmaWkAAHP8-.jpg

These are always very interesting numbers. It clearly shows that the sprinter in the slipstream needs far less power (watts) without losing much ground. Timing and smarts are such a key factor.
Thats why I don’t always agree with people stating that rider X was clearly the strongest just because he came back from behind on a helicopter shot.

Impressive by Groenewegen!

So I assume you didn't watch today's sprint nor the sprint in Milano-Torino where Démare beat Ewan fairly and squarely on each occasion.
Hands up on that, no, I didn't. Can I assume there's a mitigating circumstance for why Demare only finished 7th on stage 1 yesterday, though?

In a mass sprint, on a flat day, at the end of a stage between 3-5 hours duration, with mild weather conditions, out of a full-strength field of current active sprinters with their respective leadout trains relatively intact, I would pick Ewan, by a small margin over a few others, as the most likely of them all to emerge with the win. No sprint ever happens like that, though.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ewan, Bennett, Ackermann, Gaviria, Jakobsen, Groenewegen, probably Viviani are all faster than Demare, but not by much.

What Demare has to his advantage is a very good sprint train. Every race he enters FDJ sends 5 or 6 lead out guys for his train, and it's usually the same guys too. Team strength and numbers are a huge advantage in sprinting, as shown with Viviani suddenly being awful.

Ewan, Bennett, Ackermann, Gaviria, Jakobsen, Groenewegen, probably Viviani are all faster than Demare, but not by much.

What Demare has to his advantage is a very good sprint train. Every race he enters FDJ sends 5 or 6 lead out guys for his train, and it's usually the same guys too. Team strength and numbers are a huge advantage in sprinting, as shown with Viviani suddenly being awful.

Things change quickly in cycling. Groenewegen and Jakobsen are out currently, Ackermann was crap in Poland, Bennett can't keep it together riding for Deceuninck, Ewan - who I would have given the edge - has lost twice to Démare now.

I'm as surprised as anyone and not at all a fan but you just can't ignore those performances.

Demare's in good form right now, and it's a shame he won't be at the Tour, which is probably the true litmus test of a sprinter (even if this year's route won't give them many chances). Hopefully, whoever comes out of the Tour with the most sprint wins then goes to the Giro for a fair comparison.

Except, I guess because it's 2020, la Vuelta is actually be the GT for sprinters this year.

• Wow
Are we actually, seriously, in a situation where he have to consider the possibility that Arnaud Démare is the best sprinter in the world at this exact point in time?
Close. It’s between him and Ewan. Ewan should win, but out of 5 sprints your bound to make a mistake or two and Demare is on point right now. They’re the fastest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 42x16ss
The one who might have become the fastest this year was freewheeling in the generally acknowledged fastest sprinter's wheel in full final sprint in Poland.

But yeah, Démare is on fire right now and so is his sprint train.

Not one mention of Cav.....disgraceful! :rolleyes::D

He is the still listed for the Tour team but I don´t think he will make the cut. Not when they have the chance to get a solid GC result with Landa.

Wonder what his old rival Greipel can do. In Australia earlier in the year he did okay. He still had the speed but started every single sprint out of a terrible position. I think if he recovered from his injuries and gets a solid leadout he might be able to sneak on the podium once or twice.

At the moment I don't see any sprinter who is clearly better then the rest. Good for us. There is no old Cav or Kittel at the moment.
If the top sprinter come to the line together everyone could win. There is no clear favorite. Ackermann and Bennett were not their best after the new season start. Ackermann normally gets better after the season start, but he has a bad shedule. Don't know about Bennett. I think he isn't the type of sprinter which copes well with a train. Caleb is doing ok. Demare does really good and thats way he can win against the best. 2 fast sprinters are out.

Not so long ago many people were praising the depth of the sprinting field we currently enjoy but I feel like with Jakobsen's injury and Groenewegen's break after causing the crash (I wonder if he will be ever able to mentally recover from that) it doesn't look as strong anymore IMO. Maybe it's about time for a new sprinter to emerge and fill the void left by these two.

Not so long ago many people were praising the depth of the sprinting field we currently enjoy but I feel like with Jakobsen's injury and Groenewegen's break after causing the crash (I wonder if he will be ever able to mentally recover from that) it doesn't look as strong anymore IMO. Maybe it's about time for a new sprinter to emerge and fill the void left by these two.
Ya because they were the only 2 big sprinters out there

The way I view it is that there are currently a deep list of good sprinters but arguably none that are great and will still be talked about in 15 years time like Cipollini, Zabel, peak Cavendish, peak Kittel unless they improve a lot and the likes of Ewan and Ackermann certainly have time on their side to do that.

TRENDING THREADS