• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spurious Advertising Claims

May 25, 2009
Visit site
There is an ad running on the site which claims that speedplay pedals will save you 33 sec per hour. Does anybody actually beleive this? The report on a test on their website explains nothing to substantiate the claim. All there is, is some speciously 'reasoned' drivel about testing only using the lower part of the rider (they built a mechanised pedalling manequin to do this). Funny that. Given that the upper half of the cylcist's body produces a great proportion of the total drag they have effectively increased the percentage gain they can attribute to the pedal. The advantage must be calculated as part of the total drag of the cyclist, not simply the lower part of the body. There is nothing on the site that explains how they got from the claimed aerodynamic efficiency to the figure of 33 secs per hour. 33 sec per hour for which cyclist, on which bike in what position? All these factors will impact on the percentage of the total drag reperesented by the pedal. Or would the runner up in the worlds tt have been 33 secs closer to Cancellara if he'd used speedplay pedals: I think not.

So much of what gets published in the advertising of components and frames makes these sort of meaningless claims: what for example does 20 percent stiffer mean regarding a frame?

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
BEST COFFEE IN THE WORLD: small children in poor countries picked these for you to moan about

fastest wheels in the world: well expensive
110% stiffer: the factory in china told us its a bit better and are charging us more so we are passing that on
MASSIVE SALE: old ****e we are looking rid off

'i demand the best" AC ( and Look pay me 200,000 euros)

the marketing men make our magazines and web sites more readable .

let it wash over you- ALL of the spin

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
These performance numbers in dispute, not just by Speedplay, but every mfg that has products used by the pros are wildly misunderstood because they are always based on pro level riders that can generate big power and speed, not the average Joe like you or me. Whether they are true or not, or apply to your abilities is entirely up to you to decide, caveat emptor. And I'll tell you this, the objective engineer is always at the mercy of the subjective marketing dept., no matter the industry.

I originally bought into Speedplay pedals almost 10 years ago for the free float of the X/2's (Zeros currently), the large platform that the pedal/cleat combo provides, and I can pedal through sweeping corners without having to worry about bottoming out. More aero? yeah maybe, but so what. I really don't care if it gets me to the coffee shop only 3 seconds faster, I like showing up fashionably late.:cool:

Suspicious advertising claims in cycling? Surely you jest. How else can the mugs--err, customers--be convinced to buy $4500 sunglasses?

Take this article below about a "carbon" sock. Aside from the occasional whiff of snark in the writing, I am not sure what to think the potential implications. Bogus claims about the benefits of ceramic bearings are one thing, but now sock makers are touting the dissipation of static electricity. I think I will wait for the headset that cures the common cold.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/capo-atlas-carbon-socks

If you have enough money and buy the components, wheels, and frames that save the most time you will, by simple addition of the time saved per part, arrive at the finnish line before you leave the start line. As a side benefit you will also be younger when you cross the line. personally I am waiting for a component that cures scepticism, now that is something that I am willing to pay big bucks for without any evidence!

May 25, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
These performance numbers in dispute....are wildly misunderstood because they are always based on pro level riders that can generate big power and speed, not the average Joe like you or me.

I think your are too generous to them; I suspect they are based on whatever the marketing department wants them to be (as you imply later in your post).

The worrying thing is that so much of the cycling press hapily trots out this marketing guff in the guise of reviews and articles about the 'latest must have' equpiment. One must asume that the advertising revenue involved obliges them to be less than sceptical about things.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Wattie said:
I think your are too generous to them; I suspect they are based on whatever the marketing department wants them to be (as you imply later in your post).

Yep, straight from the horses mouth, I've been one of them for the last decade. I ain't sayin' nothin' new, this is old news that's been mulled over again and again on this forum.

Wattie said:
The worrying thing is that so much of the cycling press hapily trots out this marketing guff in the guise of reviews and articles about the 'latest must have' equpiment. One must asume that the advertising revenue involved obliges them to be less than sceptical about things.

In the case of James Huang's report on the HED Ardennes; let me ask you this... If you got a wheel set hand built by Reed Stellijus (argueably the most bike wheels built by a human in the USA), from HED... What kind of review would you be inclined to write? "must have"? You bet!! Regardless, the Ardennes is a fantastic set, and James gave a bang up review on them. Hell I'm still riding a single speed set that Reed built when we worked at QBP together baaaack in the day... made 'em for a 6 pack of Moose drool, Big Sky Brewing! I miss Stinky:(

Wattie said:
There is an ad running on the site which claims that speedplay pedals will save you 33 sec per hour. Does anybody actually beleive this? The report on a test on their website explains nothing to substantiate the claim. All there is, is some speciously 'reasoned' drivel about testing only using the lower part of the rider (they built a mechanised pedalling manequin to do this). Funny that. Given that the upper half of the cylcist's body produces a great proportion of the total drag they have effectively increased the percentage gain they can attribute to the pedal. The advantage must be calculated as part of the total drag of the cyclist, not simply the lower part of the body. There is nothing on the site that explains how they got from the claimed aerodynamic efficiency to the figure of 33 secs per hour. 33 sec per hour for which cyclist, on which bike in what position? All these factors will impact on the percentage of the total drag reperesented by the pedal. Or would the runner up in the worlds tt have been 33 secs closer to Cancellara if he'd used speedplay pedals: I think not.

So much of what gets published in the advertising of components and frames makes these sort of meaningless claims: what for example does 20 percent stiffer mean regarding a frame?

It's all drivel. Sram's TT shifters, that point forward all the time, saves you 6 seconds over a 40k course. True cuz they say so. Advertising does not = truth.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
These performance numbers in dispute, not just by Speedplay, but every mfg that has products used by the pros are wildly misunderstood because they are always based on pro level riders that can generate big power and speed, not the average Joe like you or me. Whether they are true or not, or apply to your abilities is entirely up to you to decide, caveat emptor. And I'll tell you this, the objective engineer is always at the mercy of the subjective marketing dept., no matter the industry.

I originally bought into Speedplay pedals almost 10 years ago for the free float of the X/2's (Zeros currently), the large platform that the pedal/cleat combo provides, and I can pedal through sweeping corners without having to worry about bottoming out. More aero? yeah maybe, but so what. I really don't care if it gets me to the coffee shop only 3 seconds faster, I like showing up fashionably late.:cool:

OT, I know but any idea when yer gonna be up and running?

http://www.ridemagnetic.com/

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bustedknuckle said:
OT, I know but any idea when yer gonna be up and running?

http://www.ridemagnetic.com/

Almost there. I have some Ambrosio rims in stock for distribution, and the Magnetic branded wheels are waiting for spokes. As I write this, I'm writing copy for the website. Send an email to info@ridemagnetic.com and I'll give you the scoop on rim pricing. The rims are what you were interested in Bustedknuckle, correct? If I remember right you're a shop, eh?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Too many tests can be skewed too many ways. I want to say my frame is stiffer than yours, So I test seatstay stiffness which are supposed to be compliant anyway or test a bigger frame. I want my helmet to be more aerodynamic than you, so I get my rider to put put his head in a different position etc etc etc.
I want my pedals to be more aerodynamic...I tip the foot down a little more, heel/knees in out, longer or shorter pedal spindle, measure on different days with varying air pressures, collect the data and only use angles that are favourable for what i want to show you...without a complete protocol you don't know what has been done and how.

Bottom line, buy an aero helmet, not a front wheel :p