Stage 16 and Possible early Coverage

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 3, 2009
Sastre is hanging all the way back in the peloton, almost on the last row. Risky place to be if they attack up front. Or could it be a sign of bad form today?

Apr 28, 2009
Sastre is just playing Mr. Cool. He did the same thing on the first mountain stage. No matter how big the group was, he was always on the back of it - until his attack.

Apr 11, 2009
I see that EuroHoody at Velonews says this a few minutes ago:

"My hunch is that Basso is going to try to blow apart the race today, Sastre and Garzelli go with him. Menchov stays with Di Luca and Leipheimer, then bridges across. Basso or Garzelli win stage, Menchov keeps pink jersey"

Jasper said:
Sastre is hanging all the way back in the peloton, almost on the last row. Risky place to be if they attack up front. Or could it be a sign of bad form today?

Well that panicky command to Pauwels to come back and help him should have given something away!

Apr 11, 2009
Dunno the temp, but Eurosport commentator just said the heat is a plus for Menchov, given his Vuelta pedigree. Heat not a problem for him at Vuelta.

Small guys like Levi should handle it better, too (less surface area etc., think I saw something about this in the lit. a while ago).

Apr 11, 2009
Velonews says at 11:30 start local time: Right now the temperature is 28° C (83°F).

(So, say, mid 30s by mid afternoon.)

ingsve said:
Ya, it's a matter of surface area vs body volume. The bigger you are the worse the ratio gets for you.

Much better put than the way I did it.

With Popoffthebackavich sent ahead, Leipheimer must actually be planning to attack since a Bruyneel team would never actually allow one of its riders to go for personal glory. We might be witnessing a historic event.

Apr 11, 2009
Okay, with reflection off the tar of road, must be a lot of radiant heat too. Bit like cycling on a tanning mirror. :mad:

Apr 11, 2009
BroDeal said:
Popoffthebackavich

LOL, as long as the Astana team car isn't towing a small refrigerator (and there are no visible drip lines hanging from the car), and Menchov doesn't start to sprint like Haussler, I'm cool with things. :D

Cippo apparently says this is the last day for Menchov to be dropped--or that they've got to do it now type of thing.

Sean Kelly's take on that (Eurosport): manno a manno is not going to work vs. Menchov.

Has to be multiple attacks by multiple teams over a long period. (I assume it means presenting him with what Cadel Evans faced on Alpe d'Huez at TDF last year: too many choices/riders to follow).