• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 17 Chieti → Blockhaus

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Not long enough for anyone (except Levi) to truly blow. Sastre will attack early and take another minute, with Menchov doing his best to stay level with DiLuca on the Killer's home turf. Levi may let LA mark the leaders as a test. Basso, Pelli, others not a real factor.

mr. tibbs said:
I think the front groups will be Rabobank for most of the stage, LPR occasionally, and Liquigas at the end for the lead in to the attack that Basso will put in and which will see him eventualy finish a dozen seconds or so back from Menchov, Sastre, and Di Luca (with Sastre again taking the win).

Rabobank will probably let their non-climbers drive a fast pace on the flats, perhaps letting an escape go with non-threatening riders, such as Serpa, Cunego and Simoni. Then Ardila and Ten Dam will drive a decent pace at the bottom of the climb, until Liquidas & LPR take over (which might be very soon). They will put down the hammer to reduce the peleton and wear out the GC candidates a bit. Then various riders should attack in turn to try and get free. Interesting to see who will have the best legs then.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Since the climb is long and gradual, but 'not too steep' (only 6.9) I think Basso, Menchov are the favoured climbers today. The steeper sections are early on in the climb as well, which might be too early to take off. If Menchov is good, he will be able to counter every Di Luca attack. If Sastre goes and Di Luca seems to breaks, he will surely follow Sastre to gain more time. I don't think Basso has shown he is strong enough to ride away, but this could be his possible day of glory, if he can follow Sastre.

I don't really expect the attacks to begin from the start, but more or less around 6-8 km before the finish, full out.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dgodave said:
Why did they chop the last 4k off the big climb? A favor to DDL (says the cynic)?

Whoa, dgodave - you ARE new to the forum!! ;)

The cynics on this forum (whom you will get to know all too well all too soon) are all 100% CERTAIN that it was Lance and Zmeg in some diabolical plot to give him a chance for the GC title. :rolleyes:

Some of them will even find an obscure, poorly translated article from Berzerkistan's weekly sports page to PROVE it indisputably!!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Merckx said:
Stage wouldnt be complete without a Voeckler attack :p

I do like that he draws people out. Hopefully he will develop into a Jacky Durand-type who actually sticks a few big ones towards the end of his career. (Not that he hasn't stuck a few already, or that the tricolore or MJ are anything to cast aspersions at).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
There is no such thing as too many frites and duvel :D

Unless you want to climb Blockhaus by bike... ;)

LPR setting the pace... RAB is kicking it back... Good deal for RAB...

Seems like Di Luca is already pedalling at a high cadence to get the legs ready for the climb...He's spinning fast on the flat compared to the other guys. I know he does it uphill, but here...

May 13, 2009
Visit site
53x11 in DC said:

The cynics on this forum (whom you will get to know all too well all too soon) are all 100% CERTAIN that it was Lance and Zmeg in some diabolical plot to give him a chance for the GC title. :rolleyes:

Some of them will even find an obscure, poorly translated article from Berzerkistan's weekly sports page to PROVE it indisputably!!!

LOL! I'm new here too. Sound like it's an "interesting" forum. ;)

Babe

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
There is no such thing as too many frites and duvel :D

Yeah - he just needs to sit in stronger chairs! (context for those of you not listening to Universal - the belgian commentator's chair just collapsed under his girth)

53x11 in DC said:

Yep. New. All I can say is that pro cycling amply rewards the cynic, it seems.
But its hard to quit watching...
Anyway, why did they cut 4k of the top of the Blockhaus climb?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
wenieboy said:
teach me please, what is the purpose of an attack at this point when the GC guys are wanting that bonus time for the stage win?

You ever seen Jens race? Outcome desn't matter, though occasionally he pulls it off in the face of common sense. Would you prefer he sit in?!?! :confused: