• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 19: Bassano Del Grappa - Cima Grappa 26.8 km MTT

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
whittashau said:
Am I the only one that finds it crazy that there is 4 minutes between 1st and 10th, yet 2 minutes between 10th and 30th?

This was predicted earlier. Top 10 was going for it, other guys were not. When they are all trying to go around the same watts/threshold, most should be around 4 mins of each other, I think. Top 10 were going at their hardest.
Some climbers that are aiming for stage tomorrow (Duarte, Arredondo, Rubiano) probably slowed down a lot on purpose

gospina said:
This Giro is too important historically for Colombians now, so it will be hard on Aru to make up time.
Duarte, Rubiano & Pantano want a stage tomorrow. Outside of that Team Colombia WILL protect Uran. Uran will have all of OPQS +Mini Henao +half of Team Colombia and maybe even Anacona protecting him.
In top of that, it is very likely that Nairo will be helping Uran as well, maybe even a pact b/w Movistar & OPQS to protect the podium. Even Arredondo may help Uran at this point.

True on different mountain. Not much you can do with the alliances on the Zoncolan.

And I think team Colombia has a different agenda at this point. They are under pressure to get a stage.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
yespatterns said:
Phil mistaking a bike exchange for a wreck and his ensuing case of the vapors was my comedy relief today. Good stuff.

I saw the same mistake on BEIN coverage but Phil was not commentator

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
tumblr_n6e15tTx6O1qacyk6o1_500.png

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
True on different mountain. Not much you can do with the alliances on the Zoncolan.

And I think team Colombia has a different agenda at this point. They are under pressure to get a stage.

Pretty much this.On Zoncolan they can help him for first 2km and thats it.Colombians will help him on Pura and Razzo,but there won't be any serious attacks before Zoncolan,so it won't matter imo.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
whittashau said:
Am I the only one that finds it crazy that there is 4 minutes between 1st and 10th, yet 2 minutes between 10th and 30th?

The answer to most questions starting with 'Am I the only one...' is 'no'. It's a nice rule of thumb, this.

Quintana and Aru seem to be natural favourites for tommorow but they may feel todays performance on Zoncolan slopes tommorow. Maybe they gave too much on Monte Grappa looking at time difference to other riders. I hope for good fight on Zoncolan. Podium places seems to be set but on Zoncolan everything can happen. Even Nairo or Fabio can have a bad day.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Krzysztof_O said:
Quintana and Aru seem to be natural favourites for tommorow but they may feel todays performance on Zoncolan slopes tommorow. Maybe they gave too much on Monte Grappa looking at time difference to other riders. I hope for good fight on Zoncolan. Podium places seems to be set but on Zoncolan everything can happen. Even Nairo or Fabio can have a bad day.

Quintana surely didnt.As of Aru we dont have a prove of recovery or anything so it is a mystery:eek:

murali said:
what a ride by Aru.....

if anyone thought that Quintana could have had a clean win, then they are totally wrong.

pretty sure that the italian media wiuld have thought that aru had a chance to win Giro if movistar hadn't "cheated".
Seriously, on RAI they stopped mentioning that stage from the day after. Nobody is making a big deal out of it cause they know Quintana is the best rider.

ILovecycling said:
Quintana surely didnt.As of Aru we dont have a prove of recovery or anything so it is a mystery:eek:

We're 19 stages into the Giro and he sits in third place.
He almost won the hardest MTT of this millenium after a multimountain stage.
He won in Montecampione after climbing to Oropa the day before.

And you think you don't know much about his recovery?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
SafeBet said:
...snapped..
We're 19 stages into the Giro and he sits in third place.
He almost won the hardest MTT of this millenium after a multimountain stage.
He won in Montecampione after climbing to Oropa the day before.

And you think you don't know much about his recovery?

No, I dont...today will be the real test cuz he went all out yesterday imo and today is the hardest mountain of modern cycling;)

TRENDING THREADS