• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienn - La Toussuire-Les Sybelle

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
staubsauger said:
Sorry , but this IS a French problem and it's tend to be heavier than elsewhere.

I haven't seen this in Südtirol to Italian riders, I also must have missed it if there was something similar against Spanish riders in Basque Country.

This comes from their annoying “Vive le France“ attitude. Just go there and try to speak English with them, because you can't speak French. And it's the same in French Belgium and to a lesser extend in Luxemburg. Or try to find some young people in Alsace that are still able to speak their dialect.

It's just disgusting, annoying, respectless and makes a beatiful country, with a beatiful culture, beatiful landscape, fantastic food and lovely people look so damn dislikable.

The spitting guy was Italian.
Probably a french guy holding an Italian flag.

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Sorry , but this IS a French problem and it's tend to be heavier than elsewhere.

I haven't seen this in Südtirol to Italian riders, I also must have missed it if there was something similar against Spanish riders in Basque Country.

This comes from their annoying “Vive le France“ attitude. Just go there and try to speak English with them, because you can't speak French. And it's the same in French Belgium and to a lesser extend in Luxemburg. Or try to find some young people in Alsace that are still able to speak their dialect.

It's just disgusting, annoying, respectless and makes a beatiful country, with a beautiful culture, beatiful landscape, fantastic food and lovely people look so damn dislikable.

What's the link between Basque nationalists, alsacian's dialect and Froome being spit on ?

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:

It's just disgusting, annoying, respectless and makes a beatiful country, with a beautiful culture, beatiful landscape, fantastic food and lovely people look so damn dislikable.

If it happens in France they are obviously French. Your logic is impressive.

Quintana should go from the bottom of Alp d'Huez and take as much time as possible. Any long range attempt is doomed with the flat part between Croix de Fer and le Alp. Maybe if Movistar could get Malori, Izaguirre and Anacona in the break it would be dangerous, but seems impossible.

fungusbear said:
staubsauger said:

It's just disgusting, annoying, respectless and makes a beatiful country, with a beatiful culture, beatiful landscape, fantastic food and lovely people look so damn dislikable.

I agree with you mostly, but obviously not all French people are nasty. I stayed with the nicest family I have ever met last summer and they were French.
Of course they are not. I've had some great holidays in France as a little kid. It's a very nice country with very lovely residents. That's why I'm getting (maybe a bit too ) mad about it sometimes.

If that guy was Italian it doesn't change much for me regarding his behavior being absolutely shitty and unacceptable. But also it doesn't make this sometimes questionable attitude disappear.

One have to admit, that of course French people also got a nice attitude to conserve history and culture more than maybe elsewhere. It ain't just black and white.

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: Stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienn - La Toussuire-Les Sybe

sunnyIce said:
I don't these riders and their tactics. They seem so idiotic. It's unbelievable. When they were climbing the final ascent, why was Contador and Majka setting a tempo for movistar?!?! Why not let them do all the work and get worn out. When nairo attacked and AC and AV came back to the group why Was gesink setting the tempo for vakverde. Idiots.

You just don't get it, do you?! Riders and teams are protecting their positions, they're important for them. I know you don't care about minor positions, but teams DO CARE. That's why Tinkoff put Majka on the front, that's why Gesink and his teammates were chasing, and that's why Valverde responds to every move of Contador and Nibali, at least every one he can.

Re:

Bushman said:
Quintana should go from the bottom of Alp d'Huez and take as much time as possible. Any long range attempt is doomed with the flat part between Croix de Fer and le Alp. Maybe if Movistar could get Malori, Izaguirre and Anacona in the break it would be dangerous, but seems impossible.
This flat is 10 km. Is not that bad. the chances of Quintana being successful attacking on La Fer are greater than the chances on him attacking at the bottom of Alpe.

If he attacks at the bottom he has to make 2:38 on Froome on the Alpe. He needs a record time plus Froome not going OK. The odds are against him if he does not do it before.

harryh said:
willbick said:
franic said:
harryh said:
Quintana set a new record time on La Toussuire. Brave ride by Froome. Congrats to NIbali!
Really? I guess this is going to be nice material for the Clinic

Its ok. Quintana is allowed to break records because hes a 'natural' climber

Yes and he has obviously peaked. Quicker than Mayo and Rasmussen.
It is OK because the last times that they have ridden La Toussuire they have done it like **$$ys.

The only one that tried hard was Sastre and I don't compare Quintana to him. Froome was slowed down.

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
Bushman said:
This flat is 10 km. Is not that bad. the chances of Quintana being successful attacking on La Fer are greater than the chances on him attacking at the bottom of Alpe.

If he attacks at the bottom he has to make 2:38 on Froome on the Alpe. He needs a record time plus Froome not going OK. The odds are against him if he does not do it before.

10km of flat is that bad for Quintana alone. If he wants to win his first tour, Valverde has to die for it.

TMP402 said:
Springveldt said:
Scarponi said:
One guy out of 15000 did something wrong. Sky will make it out like it's everyone
You must have missed the old guy who gave him the **** you sign about 4 times as he came round a hairpin on one of the climbs.

The vitriol being poured out at Froome is incredible, I've never seen a Tour leader being disrespected so much while on the road. It's ridiculous and totally over the top.

https://twitter.com/philousports/status/624583058100871168
LOL. That was funny!!!!

Escarabajo said:
bassano said:
fungusbear said:
Just saw the profile and the flat between Croix de Fer and Alpe d'huez will probably kill the race.

Yeah, with Galibier and rain there that could be still interesting
There is no Galibier.

That flat is only 10 km!!

What profile are you watching????

I think he is watching the old one, before Croix de Fer was used beacuse of rack falls on the Galibier.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Very very disappointed by Nairo's attitude today.

Otoh Nibali,thats a RACER, thats how its *** done! Congrats for an epic victory!
edit: Lolz I just found that his attack is discussed on Twitter as unsportsmanship, ahh god :eek:

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site

difdauf said:
Escarabajo said:
Bushman said:

10km of flat is that bad for Quintana alone. If he wants to win his first tour, Valverde has to die for it.

You're not going to watch that, Valverde will hang on for dear life for his podium spot.

Ryongsyong said:
bigcog said:
Tw*t in a white hat:

Wow, if there was a Tour de Spitting that guy would be wearing yellow for sure. Must be a pro; no way I could get it to travel that kind of distance unless there's a tailwind or something.

I can do that with ease. Not proud of it, but just saying...
Anyways it's more about the intentions.
Wether Merckx had it in the past or not. It's disgusting. If I want dumb aggresive people I'll watch football instead.

ILovecycling said:
Very very disappointed by Nairo's attitude today.

Otoh Nibali,thats a RACER, thats how its **** done! Congrats for an epic victory!
edit: Lolz I just found that his attack is discussed on Twitter as unsportsmanship, ahh god :eek:

Let them cry me a river. It's a race and Froome messed up himself there just like Andy did in 2010. Their own fault so please let's not be babies and just hit when it's possible.

bala v said:
difdauf said:
Escarabajo said:
Bushman said:

You're not going to watch that, Valverde will hang on for dear life for his podium spot.

Thing is, Quintana is holding back for Valverde. Atleast that's the impression I'm getting.
I really like bala, but I can't stand him this Tour. So passive so defensive. Today his fake attack was ridiculous as well. Look I attack... oh dear god.. I'm alone here on this mountain. I better wait for them again.

Re:

TI-Raleigh said:
According to ammattipyoraily, only Quintana and Froome climbed faster than Nibali. Impressive after going from so far out.

Indeed. Most impressive performance of the day by far.
The fact he did so much alone(sure he had Rolland for a while, but his(Nibali) nose was in the wind a LOT) and still held of the the favourites with just a 2 minute gap on the others is impressive. His climbing time is simply great for such a long solo effort.
Good to see Nibali like that again.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Kwibus said:
bala v said:
difdauf said:
Escarabajo said:
Bushman said:

Thing is, Quintana is holding back for Valverde. Atleast that's the impression I'm getting.
I really like bala, but I can't stand him this Tour. So passive so defensive. Today his fake attack was ridiculous as well. Look I attack... oh dear god.. I'm alone here on this mountain. I better wait for them again.

Well that's your view.

Mine is that Valverde attacked because of Quintana, to be used like a springboard, he was always turning back looking and waiting for something or someone. My guess is that he waited for Quintana to make a move, but Nairo hasn't made it. To me it looks like Quintana was afraid of long range attacking, there's no way he's holding back because of Valverde, he's just not brave enough.That's my impression.

Kwibus said:
bala v said:
difdauf said:
Escarabajo said:
Bushman said:

Seriously? I'm not seeing that at all. He's worked his butt off for Nairo this Tour. He's always talking to Nairo, always checking for him, he's made a bunch of attacks...if anyone can be criticized it's Nairo or Unzué. You don't honestly think he's been riding against team direction.

Escarabajo said:
bassano said:
fungusbear said:
Just saw the profile and the flat between Croix de Fer and Alpe d'huez will probably kill the race.

Yeah, with Galibier and rain there that could be still interesting
There is no Galibier.

That flat is only 10 km!!

What profile are you watching????

I know that there is no galibier, for that I am writing it is pitty they can not go there as was planned before, that could be still interesting

TRENDING THREADS