• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 20 - Toledo ITT - September 19th

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
One of them is apparently the Plateau de no time gaps, unfortunately.

Also, our "WTF" story of the day is that I just found a guy posting about 30 "stages" of the 2010 Tour and Giro on an applet using google maps, showing route, etc.

I'm expecting it's just some fantasy route he made up, but....it's interesting allright.

A lot of next years course is leaked already. I think they're missing only 5 stages and are not sure about 3 or 4. As soon as i saw 'Aubisque finish' i knew enough :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
A lot of next years course is leaked already. I think they're missing only 5 stages and are not sure about 3 or 4. As soon as i saw 'Aubisque finish' i knew enough :)

It has to be fake, though. Threre's too many alpine stages for it to be a real Tour. And the Giro has some finishes atop climbs that can't host finishes.

So, in less than a month we'll know the real Tour route. Giro and Vuelta I expect them in December as usual.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
cyclingmad said:
There were no bs theories posted about Sanchez being better than Evans he just beat him in the race and proved it. It was quite close and he was just slightly better overall ignoring misfortunes his time reflects this as well. Evans coming 3rd is about how he was going in this race as well ignoring the puncture. The only other rider you could argue deserved to be top 3 was Gesink.

There is a lot of people on this forum that dont like Valverde but he was definitely the strongest rider in the race.
A think it is fair to say there has been a huge number of comments about what might have been for Evans. That seems to be the case with nearly every race he does what might have been not what is which is why at the beginning of the race I said the rider who definitely wont win is Evans

evans lost to no fault to his own. sanchez crashed because he descends and rides in a way which is risky(but also can gain him time) and so crashes and then loses time on the velefique.the course was perfect for sanchez and i think he should of won it but didn't. Evans wasn't expected to do much as SS as everyone was writing him (CE) off. Sanchez's ride was dissapointing. Evans did better than expected. basso, valverde, sanchez and mosquera all aimed for this race where as evans and gesink didn't.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
One of the main problems with the route - which was actually first understood as an 'enhancer' of the Vuelta - were the 3 mountain top finishes in a row and the lack of a rest day.

Riders seem to become much more conservative/defensive every time, because they don't want to lose time. I also believe that many are riding at their max, and in order to sustain that for 3 weeks, you need to dose your efforts. Hence, when you have three uninterrupted, and seemingly exciting, mt finishes, GT contenders know they can't go full out every day, unless you middle name is "di".

If there is only a slight chance of a minor head wind, they'll hope for the next day (see Vuelta and TdF)

You saw Gesink who attacked in the last 1-2km, because he didn't want to blow up or use up a match for the next day. Contador on Verbier, Menchov for the bonus seconds on the first mountain stage in the Giro. Mosquerra, tried to get away, and he had to attack from far because his TT is below par. He never got more than 40s, including bonus s...

Perhaps a Giro stage a la block house, short, and a longish climb would be a good idea to alternate.

Or transition stages (easier ones) between big mt finishes.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
It's been done many times before and usually it creates more spectacle than a marathon 250km mountainstage.

Just do 40km before a final climb. Attacks guaranteed.

LaFong said:
Did anyone else notice the yellow fence that toppled into the road and almost crashed into Valverde about 1:25 before the finish line? Missed him by inches. The US announcers ignored it completely.

Hey, someone else noticed it too (I searched this old topic just too see if anyone else saw it). It just missed Valverde by a hair, I can't believe everybody and the whole press missed it. This could've easily been the doom for Valv's vuelta.