• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 20 - Toledo ITT - September 19th

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
So one could also argue that Evans was better than SS!
One could also argue that had not Levi crashed out, he would have replaced Lance on the TdF Podium. Alternate universe arguments can be interesting exercises, but ultimately pointless. Levi did crash out. Cadel did flat and could not overcome Samuel.

So by the only objective measure we have, in this race, SS bested CE.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Hooray for Miller, boos for Valverde, not bad Mr. Evans.

A day of extreme contrast. A beautiful win for clean cycling by a classy guy David Miller. Unfortuantely, Valverde also won the overall, a victory for.... uhh, deceit, cheating, bags of blood? Is there any doubt he'll be stripped by CAS in less than 3 months? Twisted Spoke: http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Near miss

Did anyone else notice the yellow fence that toppled into the road and almost crashed into Valverde about 1:25 before the finish line? Missed him by inches. The US announcers ignored it completely.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Walshworld said:
A day of extreme contrast. A beautiful win for clean cycling by a classy guy David Miller. Unfortuantely, Valverde also won the overall, a victory for.... uhh, deceit, cheating, bags of blood? Is there any doubt he'll be stripped by CAS in less than 3 months? Twisted Spoke: http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

I don't want to open the bag of worms that is doping. But, what makes you think Millar is clean now? Because he says he is clean? And if Valverde is guilty of doping he has done nothing different than Millar himself has done in the past. Don't be too quick to pass judgement the world is not black and white.

That being said I am happy to see Millar get the win even though I think he can be a whinier at times.

Cobber said:
Again... it's hard to say that. Evans/Valverde and co. had already dropped SS when Evans had his flat, then used a lot of energy to catch him and then couldn't hold his wheel. Overall, Evans is 37s behind SS, and lost 57s on the wheel change. So one could also argue that Evans was better than SS!
Evans had only dropped Samuel Sanchez on the 2 days Samuel Sanchez felt the effects of a crash!!! (remember that Sanchez crashed on the Aitana stage)

The 1 minute Sanchez lost early on, was due to the day after the crash. Think of that

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Gee, come the Vuelta all those riders that had crashes you say they would have won the race or been on the podium, but last year you make out that it had absolutely no affect on Cadel's overall performance in the TdF. What a bunch of one eyed a*&holes. Just admit you don't like him and that you hate seeing him beating your favourites.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I think I enjoyed the Giro the most by far this season. It was very entertaining. Pellizotti, Di Luca (even if he was doped up), Sastre, Menchov really animated that race. I never found it dull...

At the tour the only riders who really animated the mountains were contador and schleck. The race was very dull i thought.

Hats off to Gesink, Mosquera and sanchez for attempting to bring flare to the vuelta. I enjoyed watching cadel and basso try too.

2009 GTS (IMO)
Giro > Vuelta > Tour

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Hard to argue SS wasn't stronger then Evans.
He beat him in both ITT. And clearly climbed better, Evans couldn't keep his wheel on the Sierra Nevada.

Sanchez had a faster time than everyone by 30secs on Sierra nevvada.Without he puncture he would of still been with valverde group.the tt course today suited sanchez to the t. Sanchez couldn't keep up on the early stages with evans so in the end i would say they were pretty even.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Sanchez had a faster time than everyone by 30secs on Sierra nevvada.Without he puncture he would of still been with valverde group.the tt course today suited sanchez to the t. Sanchez couldn't keep up on the early stages with evans so in the end i would say they were pretty even.

That is fair i'd say. They both endured their bad luck, evans with the puncture and sanchez with the after affects of a crash. Gesink's after affects seem to be a little worse, mainly because the location of his injury. Mosqeura has a lot of heart, gotta appreciate his attacking mentality. I find basso winning GTs in the future hard. His ITT isn't gold, and he lacks the accelaration to really drop the others. Congrats to valverde anyway, Persoannly I hope he avoids a ban. It wont be good for the sport, and personally I have always liked the guy.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Gee, come the Vuelta all those riders that had crashes you say they would have won the race or been on the podium, but last year you make out that it had absolutely no affect on Cadel's overall performance in the TdF. What a bunch of one eyed a*&holes. Just admit you don't like him and that you hate seeing him beating your favourites.

Amen. peple should stop trying to find bs theories saying sanchez was better. When people crash/puncture they usually lose more time than when they get started/back on the bike. if you do the math, his real time he lost taking away the puncture, the penalty you would take off around 1.20 to 1.30. It effectively cost him as he was playing catch up anyway.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Amen. peple should stop trying to find bs theories saying sanchez was better. When people crash/puncture they usually lose more time than when they get started/back on the bike. if you do the math, his real time he lost taking away the puncture, the penalty you would take off around 1.20 to 1.30. It effectively cost him as he was playing catch up anyway.

The little I know about Cadel Evans is from this forum. I feel bad for the bum luck he has had as of late. I don't know much about him, but my read is there are many that don't care for his personality. I'm just glad he kept up the good fight, despite his misfortunes.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
The little I know about Cadel Evans is from this forum. I feel bad for the bum luck he has had as of late. I don't know much about him, but my read is there are many that don't care for his personality. I'm just glad he kept up the good fight, despite his misfortunes.

they have double standards. not alright for cadel but it's right for everyone else.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I think I enjoyed the Giro the most by far this season. It was very entertaining. Pellizotti, Di Luca (even if he was doped up), Sastre, Menchov really animated that race. I never found it dull...

At the tour the only riders who really animated the mountains were contador and schleck. The race was very dull i thought.

Hats off to Gesink, Mosquera and sanchez for attempting to bring flare to the vuelta. I enjoyed watching cadel and basso try too.

2009 GTS (IMO)
Giro > Vuelta > Tour

I totally agree with you. The Giro was be far the best GT(I might be biased as the the Giro is my favourite race);). The Italians are always ready to attack anywhere.

Gesink really had some bad luck this year but still did a good ride at the Vuelta, he should have a very good future at a GT rider. Plus the Vuelta was a hell of a lot more exciting then the yawn fest that was the Tour.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

2009 GTS (IMO)
Giro > Vuelta > Tour

I'd agree with that not just this year, but almost every year :)

The only thing the Giro was lacking was that stages 10 and 17 hadn't been neutered at the last minute and that Mosquera hadn't gotten injured a couple days before the start.

Was a poor Giro, IMO.
The reversal of the course and the mega long ITT before the main mountain stages acted against the climbers.
Having said that it was, as per usual, the best GT by a mile.
Regardless of the fact some chap from Rabo won it!;)

I remember, last October, when the Tour route was unveiled, there was much jubilation, with a few cautionary folks warning of a possible dullfest.
The warnings were valid. When are the organisers going to look at what livens ups their other events and dump some of the "traditional" elements?
The TTT should be consigned to history. A bad joke.

The Vuelta had potentially fine parcours, but accidents (Samu) and events (Cadel) effected the race dynamics.
Point of fact. Valverde has learnt how to win tough stage races, but has become negative, in the process.

Samu could well have won, were it not for his Aitana tumble and daft bonus seconds.

Cunego: No longer the Grand Tour longstanding joke.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
What might have been

benpounder said:
BS theories? Isnt Sanchez ahead of Evans on the only objective measure - actual time?

There were no bs theories posted about Sanchez being better than Evans he just beat him in the race and proved it. It was quite close and he was just slightly better overall ignoring misfortunes his time reflects this as well. Evans coming 3rd is about how he was going in this race as well ignoring the puncture. The only other rider you could argue deserved to be top 3 was Gesink.

There is a lot of people on this forum that dont like Valverde but he was definitely the strongest rider in the race.
A think it is fair to say there has been a huge number of comments about what might have been for Evans. That seems to be the case with nearly every race he does what might have been not what is which is why at the beginning of the race I said the rider who definitely wont win is Evans

They should do something spectaculair, because its exactly a century ago that the Pyrenees were in the route for the first time. Coming up with more Tourmalet mass sprints finishes would be a total lack of respect towards history. And I guess this is also the reason why the Pyrenees were the first mountain block for two years in a row.

Anyway, if they come up with a route similar to this year I guess I will not watch (well, I will, but I will pretend I won't).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Depends on the nature of these mountain top finishes.

One of them is apparently the Plateau de no time gaps, unfortunately.

Also, our "WTF" story of the day is that I just found a guy posting about 30 "stages" of the 2010 Tour and Giro on an applet using google maps, showing route, etc.

I'm expecting it's just some fantasy route he made up, but....if they are, how can they be so incredibly detailed, named, etc? :|