• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 9 TDS: Liestal ITT - 26.9km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Okay fair enough. :)

But the media et al have 7 precedents/excuses for finding him in good form, even if he just shows up. Nothing irrational there.

Lance is like a formerly hyped stock, a 10-bagger (a 7-bagger in his case, up 700%), which everyone thinks will, maybe, should have, could have, might do it again. Lot of folks made rich. Novitzky's investigatin'.

Media will always hype a "story" to sell.....

What really interests me is how Saxo vs. Shack will play out, the second and third tier of podium. It looks very close. Is Machado going to be there? Just think of him vs. Fugslang, etc.

Also, Liqui, if they haven't blown themselves up at the Giro.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Well to be fair, out of all the Tour favorites right now, LA is looking better than everyone else but Contador. I think he will have a realistic shot at a podium when the Ferrari-program kicks in at full force.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
EDIT: And for an opposite reaction, look at how the cycling media questioned AC's performance at the Dauphine. He finished 2nd, but because he didn't crush JB on Alpe d'Huez and in the TT, his form leading into the Tour is suspect.

Yeah, well, they were just spouting baloney.:D I don't pay attention to baloney. Bertie is on track. Hope he wins, IMHO.

Misc unrelated NB: Gesink, to me, rides like a rider who is riding clean, or largely clean. No rabbits out of hats there. He gets tired after a hard day, the legs go, etc.

staubsauger said:
gesink should have done il giro......i have alwasy said that. he would have had an excellent chance there against basso.

but he/rabo wants him to ride tds/tdf. if you ask me it's a fault.

but maybe the vuelta could be his race, if mentsjov rides a good tdf and isn't going for the win in spain.

Rabo did a good thing in protecting Gesink from that race. Bobby would've never survived the stage to Montalcino. He would've died several times over before the finish was even reached. A dead Gesink is no good to anyone.

And the kid wants to ride the Tour de France. Thats his dream. He wants to win the white jersey, and he has only this year and next to still get that done.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
wattage said:
Well to be fair, out of all the Tour favorites right now, LA is looking better than everyone else but Contador. I think he will have a realistic shot at a podium when the Ferrari-program kicks in at full force.

You're right, no other tour favourites did better in the TdS than Armstrong. Not a single one...

Surely Frank Schleck is looking better than Armstrong?

Grabbing the overall victory says all you need to know about the trialing of the rest of the top 10.
True, second for Armstrong is a great result on paper, but on the road, it was another disasterous ride.
He cannot turn in a TT that is remotely like his old Tour trials.

The bench mark has to be Schleck, which is not exactly setting the mark, high.

Fact: Kloden could have easily won this race, given his head.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
Gesink now on the TT .... away ...

TourOfSardinia said:
Armstrong standing up on the pedals - looking busy - but not ice calm

TourOfSardinia said:
both LA and Gesink looking wooden!

16:22 at the half way for lance

TourOfSardinia said:
Martin beats Sparticus by 20 secs!

i knew italians were a bit relaxed but this is surely taking it to new heights. the race finished hours ago mate ;)

workingclasshero said:
i knew italians were a bit relaxed but this is surely taking it to new heights. the race finished hours ago mate ;)

Oops - sorry I was out watching the Azzuri dismally disappoint against New Zealand and I still didn't change timezone - NIce Catch.
Don't tell me who won - I'm watching the highlight (I guess) on SportItalia (Esclusiva!)

Mellow Velo said:
Fact: Kloden could have easily won this race, given his head.

If Kloden had designs on winning this race he really needed to do a lot better in the 1st TT and on the hill finish on Stage 3. He was 12 seconds behind Leipheimer on both and in fact behind Armstrong on both as well. It was not that surprising therefore that Kloden was doing the work on the front on the queen stage where it looked to me like they were initially riding for Leipheimer to set him up for the GC win. Trouble was as it turned out Leipheimer didn't have it that day. Mind you whether Armstrong would ever have worked for Kloden had he been stronger on the early stages is debatable

Publicus said:
EDIT: And for an opposite reaction, look at how the cycling media questioned AC's performance at the Dauphine. He finished 2nd, but because he didn't crush JB on Alpe d'Huez and in the TT, his form leading into the Tour is suspect. Put those two together and we are about to hear some serious bs hype about Lance's chances at the Tour.
Relax Publicus, let them have it. It favours AC IMHO. It will make him more focus. And between you and me I think there is some lack of mileage on LA's legs.:)

On another note, I predicted Frank Schleck for the win in the crazy thread predictions. I am confused now.:confused:

Escarabajo said:
Relax Publicus, let them have it. It favours AC IMHO. It will make him more focus. And between you and me I think there is some lack of mileage on LA's legs.:)

On another note, I predicted Frank Schleck for the win in the crazy thread predictions. I am confused now.:confused:

I am relaxed actually. And I don't think it affects AC one way or the other. If he isn't motivated already, it's too late IMO.

TRENDING THREADS