• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage eight: Who wants the Columbia jersey?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Big_Blue_Dave said:
Whats the bet it will be a Cavendish/Petacchi/Davis/Farrar set of combinations?

im gonna set me alarm for 9am and stalk susan.. :D

Big Blue Dave, I've been running the prediction game, and so far (out of our 23 contestants) no one has been able to even predict 4 riders in the correct order. To predict the top 3 is still quite a feat, considering many things can (and often do) happen with 20k to go.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Tomorrow might not be as clear cut as everyone thinks!

A tight circuit. Tight corners. Will make a bunch sprint insanely hard. You need to be at the front to profit. If it's wet, things will get interesting. Don't be surprised to see Cancellara do something if he is near the front end.

DenisMenchov said:
I agree it will be easy, but what if breakaway survives

On a pan flat criterium circuit with sprinters looking to take their latest chance after so many stages of no chance for them.

I say it will be a sprint, if its the same stage finish road as is normally on the final stage when they ride around Milan, there will not likely be a crash in the last lap as it looks like an open course too.

The only potential change in this will be if Cancellara, Voigt, Millar, Wiggins and Zabriskie try to time trial away in an attack in the last km, in a team time trial mode.

Merckx said:
Big Blue Dave, I've been running the prediction game, and so far (out of our 23 contestants) no one has been able to even predict 4 riders in the correct order. To predict the top 3 is still quite a feat, considering many things can (and often do) happen with 20k to go.

As Merckx says it's pretty tough to get the top 3 and to get them in the right order may be out of reach. The ITT is the only stage where some folk will be able to predict the top 3 in the right order.

It is still lots of fun to try! So who will i pick for Stage 9...

Something for the conspiracy theorists - Is this some plan for Susan to get a signed Columbia jersey for her collection? ;)

A

Anonymous

why dont we just have a competition to put the columbia guys in the correct order that they finish... it is a columbia jersey after all...

theres a whole host of possibilities... :D

me thinking...
cavvy
renshaw
ed BH
rogers
lovkvist
barry
pinotti
possoni
Siutsou

im just trying to work out how many possible combinations there are.. is it 9 to power of 9?

Merckx said:

Breakaway stages are almost impossible. Mountain stages very difficult. Sprint stages will be easier to predict, as the variables go down. Same with TT stages.

I have a hunch we might, maybe see a winner tomorrow as the stage is pool table flat. Or on Stage 12's ITT as we're all going to draw from the same dozen or so names, just in various combinations.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
why dont we just have a competition to put the columbia guys in the correct order that they finish... it is a columbia jersey after all...

theres a whole host of possibilities... :D

me thinking...
cavvy
renshaw
ed BH
rogers
lovkvist
barry
pinotti
possoni
Siutsou

im just trying to work out how many possible combinations there are.. is it 9 to power of 9?

If it was the time trial, it would be a bit easier.

Rogers first
Lovkvist second
Pinotti third
Siutsou fourth
Possoni fifth
Barry sixth
Boasson-Hagen seventh
Renshaw eigth

Cavendish 3 hours behind.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Breakaway stages are almost impossible. Mountain stages very difficult. Sprint stages will be easier to predict, as the variables go down. Same with TT stages.

I have a hunch we might, maybe see a winner tomorrow as the stage is pool table flat. Or on Stage 12's ITT as we're all going to draw from the same dozen or so names, just in various combinations.

If no one get's it today it means the sprinters will be upstaged.