• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stange short duration knee pain

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
When I ride everything feels great until I slow down or stop for a stoplight or something. When I start up again the first 5 to 10 pedal revolutions gives me a extreme stabbing pain on the media side of my right knee. The kneecap does not seem to be involved it is to the left of that and slightly above. After about 10 pedal revolutions the pain disappears and I can continue riding like nothing happened.
Some rides this happens more than once. On other rides it does not happen at all. The more fit I am seems to make it happen less. I get no swelling or redness or pain by pressing on the area. I don't feel it off the bike which makes it almost impossible to have the doctors look at it.
I've had the knee x-rayed for arthritis or whatever and it came back "unremarkable."
This has been going on for a couple of years.
Does anyone have a similar experience I might suggest to the docs to check into?

soslow said:
When I ride everything feels great until I slow down or stop for a stoplight or something. When I start up again the first 5 to 10 pedal revolutions gives me a extreme stabbing pain on the media side of my right knee. The kneecap does not seem to be involved it is to the left of that and slightly above. After about 10 pedal revolutions the pain disappears and I can continue riding like nothing happened.
Some rides this happens more than once. On other rides it does not happen at all. The more fit I am seems to make it happen less. I get no swelling or redness or pain by pressing on the area. I don't feel it off the bike which makes it almost impossible to have the doctors look at it.
I've had the knee x-rayed for arthritis or whatever and it came back "unremarkable."
This has been going on for a couple of years.
Does anyone have a similar experience I might suggest to the docs to check into?
Although we have medical discussions that take place in our forum from time to time we will not open any new threads in which the sole purpose of thread is seeking medical advice/second opinion. Our (Forum Staff) thought is that if you need to seek another opinion it should be from a licensed medical professional.

See revised forum rules for more information.

Edit: After talking via PM with the OP we agreed that this thread is seeking only other cyclists previous experience in knee pain and what they did to help relieve this pain.

To the OP, without seeing you on a bike and checking your position and your cleat position it is impossible to tell but I would put money on your position and cleats being not quite right. Try them straight as a starting point.

I've had a hunt around for a kneeguru page I found really helpful but I can't find it. But this is a start:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/cycling-knee-pain-everything-you-need-to-know-329957

If you can find a cycling physio it would be worth it. The reason why it is hurting at a stop light might be the heavy load you put on it when pulling away

Good luck!