• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of Doping in US Domestic Racing

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about starting this thread for quite some time and I hope it promotes some good discussion. How bad is the doping in the US domestic pro peloton? I'd be curious peoples thoughts on what drugs are being used and by what portion of the peloton. JoePapp, 131313 and Chase's input would be especially welcomed.

REASONS TO BE OPTIMISTIC
1) If you believe Vaughters, Europe is getting cleaner, and that the gains achieved by 02 Vector doping are being negated by the passport. Climbing speed and power is down. So if the domestic peloton was dirty, we should be seeing the domestics competing closer to the pro tour guys at races like California Utah and Colorado. With the exception of some wins out of breakaways (Sutherland) this hasn't really happened. This would lead you to believe that the doping has dropped off proportionally in the US to Europe. To put this differently, if the top guys in the sport who primarily race in Europe, were not using 02 vector drugs, then the second tier guys should have been flying past them when they race or they aren't using either.

2) Ben Jacques Maynes - One of the first domestic riders (or any level) to break the omerta on Armstrong and actually come out against doping. And he's been fairly successful in the US. That has to be reason for hope.

3) Presence in the clinic - 13s and Chase being active in here has to be a good sign.

REASONS TO BE PESSIMISTIC

1) The Papp List - It sure seems like there were probably a lot more guys in this ring that should have been caught and never were. Chuck Coyle claimed he was buying for teammates on Successful Living, some of whom are still racing. Add in Zajicek, OBee, Oneal, Leogrande and "Clark Hilton" and there seems to have been a pretty prevalent group of riders playing with hot sauce. I have to think that there were people who were way smarter than the above mentioned and had the drugs shipped to a girlfriend or PO box and used public computers for correspondence and therefore will never be caught. Main point, were these guys friends and teammates all oblivious to the above named's practices or were they complicit and just better at covering their tracks. I think the latter.

2) Continued Omerta - Some of these guys are still so well received in the cycling community. Leogrande and Zajicek raced together on Monster Media. How'd their teammates feel about racing with guys who got caught and effectively pulled an Armstrong, fighting til the end. How come no one spoke up. Chuck Coyle still runs the pros closet and is, by all accounts, quite popular in Boulder, "The mayor of Boulder cycling." Jesse Anthony made some pretty disturbing comments re Armstrong, supporting omerta (might have been on twitter.) It sure seems like people just aren't willing to speak up. Is this solely out of fear or are they doing stuff themselves.

3) Complete lack of testing - This may be the most discouraging. No one gets tested domestically it seems. Even at the big races, the UCI wants to give USADA the boot and do the testing themselves. I raced the NRC for a while and was not only never tested, but rarely saw ANYONE get tested. Plenty of races mentioned USADA in the race bible, but they were no where to be found at the end of the day.

4) Incentive - Vaughters talked about trying to remove the choice between results and racing clean for the slipstream guys. But for a guy like JV, it was a choice between top 20 and a podium, but even with the top 20 he was making 6 figures a year. For the domestic racer who is most likely making less than 20k per year, the choice has a much greater affect on their own livelihood. Doping vs not doping domestically may be the difference between being able to continue racing and making enough money to support yourself or... having to find a job (which may be challenging if you've devoted your life to cycling), train less, race less and eventually find yourself out of the sport.

If I had to guess, just based on the above points, I would say that out of a pool of the best 8 guys on every Division 2 or 3 team racing in the US that:
~50% have used a banned substance at some point
~25% use recovery enhancing drugs, like HGH, currently
~10% use o2 vector drugs currently

But those are just wild guesses. What are others thoughts.

It would not surprise me that even as the top level of European cycling has become cleaner, the lower levels of American cycling have become dirtier. With the rise of foreign drug manufacturing, the drugs are cheaper than they used to be; and there is a lot of information available about how to use them. Combine that with almost no testing and it's a recipe for widespread use.

It is important to define what type of doping we are talking about. For example, I am fairly certain that testosterone and steroid use is rife in amateur triathlon. People will do about anything to qualify for Kona. EPO is probably somewhat rare.

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
It's high and that goes beyond cycling. Any amateur competition you're going to run into a lot of people trying to get that extra edge. Picture a city with 30 or so above average cyclists, they train as much as they can, devote a lot of time to a sport where they receive no paycheck and no recognition beyond their miniscule sub culture. When there's ego involved the sky is the limit and for every pro that's juiced there were 30 high school athletes who didn't care and had no problem admitting it.

Same as Italy or anywhere else. Plenty of d-bags like David Anthony willing to dope just to win a salami.

Apparently, much to my astonishment, people at our local weekly TT even cut the course just to get an extra edge. I was shocked when several people told me that.

WTF is the point? I can't think of one other than some people just need that ego boost and cheating doesn't diminish it.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I know of people that do dope on the domestic circuit. They aren't on UCI teams, but will still race and be competitive in many of the NCC and USA Crit Series races. Not to mention that they'll also dope for local P/1/2 races that can sometimes have big payouts. These guys can probably get away with it easier than anyone else. Since they aren't pros, they're not going to be subject to OOC tests, and almost all of the races they do don't have doping controls. I'm pretty sure that they don't really work and make their livelihood doping up and making bank in these races.

Fowsto Cope-E said:
I know of people that do dope on the domestic circuit. They aren't on UCI teams, but will still race and be competitive in many of the NCC and USA Crit Series races. Not to mention that they'll also dope for local P/1/2 races that can sometimes have big payouts. These guys can probably get away with it easier than anyone else. Since they aren't pros, they're not going to be subject to OOC tests, and almost all of the races they do don't have doping controls. I'm pretty sure that they don't really work and make their livelihood doping up and making bank in these races.

How many of us have seen riders have surprise flats at the starting line of races with big pots where doping controls are announced during pre-race announcements and marshaling?

Doping is not restricted to P/1/2 races. Masters racing is rife with it.

With respect to the continental teams, the Navigators manager, Ray Cipollini, sent out an open letter just after the Operacion Puerto story broke lamenting the requirement to begin submitting whereabouts and how it was unfair.

Odd, then, that at least one of his stable now has a lifetime ban with at least three of his riders implicated.

Dave.