• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of the Peloton 2024

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
lol what:

Is this a translation error? No one prescribes antibiotics for influenza...

It is plausible for food allergies to come on during adulthood.
So I wonder if there is some translation problem also. This is bizarre. Since when is celery in everything? Celery is in hardly anything. Celery is high in sodium and very low in calories. Luckily there was no celery in the Bicky burger or whatever or he might have died of starvation.

So I wonder if there is some translation problem also. This is bizarre. Since when is celery in everything? Celery is in hardly anything. Celery is high in sodium and very low in calories. Luckily there was no celery in the Bicky burger or whatever or he might have died of starvation.
First of all, what? Celery is a vegetable and no vegetable that I know of is high in sodium. Cyclists need a lot of sodium anyway, but I don't think Naesen is sitting there weighing the macros and micros of celery as an individual ingredient. He's just eating Belgian stews, where celery is common. He actually is lucky the burger didn't have celery, because it's not unheard of to mix it into ground beef patties. There are a lot of ingredients in the food you eat that you're not aware of until you know someone with a strong allergic reaction to them, so either you are Belgian and clueless (as most people are), or you aren't from Belgium and your diet is very different from a Belgian's.

I dug up the original article: https://archive.md/AbE6B#selection-2619.0-2619.680

It does have a lot more pertinent details, and what I'm gathering is that "celery" is used to cover at least leeks and possibly also onions?

“Celery is in *** everything. On Sunday after Roubaix we ate fries. I looked it up: the only 'meat' I could order in the chip shop was a Bicky Burger, everything else contains celery. So that's what I learned this week. At the butcher's: whatever you buy with minced meat, it contains celery. That herb is used everywhere. In sauces: celery. In spaghetti spices: celery. In chicken spices: celery. In stock cubes: celery. Ketchup: celery. Recently there was fresh basil in a package of Hello Fresh: it may contain traces of celery, it said. In pure basil! Because it is washed in the same water as their celery. My mother-in-law's spaghetti: tasty, but it makes me very sick.”

There needs to be a rule against posting "cycling up to date" articles on this forum.

Some races deserve to be forgotten.

2023 Giro was decent though, yeah I said it.
Geraint Thomas THREW that Giro by making it unwatchable shite with Ben Swift‘s corpse pacing steep climbs at 30k to go and letting Roglič recover from a bad crash. Also, Remco got Covid, TGH looked promising, then nuked his season, everybody and their mother abandoned, Adam Hansen destroyed the queen stage and the most memorable thing to me is Nico Denz hitting Derek Gee in the face in the final meters of a sprint after leading himself out, just ahead of that one Canadian fan during Stage 10. Terrible race and nothing will ever give me the life time back that I lost during the Tre Cime stage.

Reactions: topcat
Geraint Thomas THREW that Giro by making it unwatchable shite with Ben Swift‘s corpse pacing steep climbs at 30k to go and letting Roglič recover from a bad crash. Also, Remco got Covid, TGH looked promising, then nuked his season, everybody and their mother abandoned, Adam Hansen destroyed the queen stage and the most memorable thing to me is Nico Denz hitting Derek Gee in the face in the final meters of a sprint after leading himself out, just ahead of that one Canadian fan during Stage 10. Terrible race and nothing will ever give me the life time back that I lost during the Tre Cime stage.
In hindsight he did throw it a bit, but if you were to ask him pre-race would he take a 30 second lead going into the final tt he would've snapped your hand off. I enjoyed it as soon as I stopped caring in the slightest about GC, Gee, Denz, Healy and Pinot stole the show really going in the breaks, I just hope Derek can get his win this time around.

Evenepoel and Hart looked a cut above to be honest, I made the conscious decision to stop bothering about it after that, though Almeida was pretty funny with his usual antics off the back.

I remember it and the only thing of interest was lo Squalo ... and Pozzovivo came 8th.:D (oh, and some Aussie won the GC ...). I nearly also got a big bet right by claiming Carapaz would win the GC but never win a stage.
Poor bloke. I won nearly 5000 euros just by JuanPe winning the white jersey. The news of Almeida's covid appeared in the Italian cycling media a little before the official announcement.

So French anti-doping f**ked up an EPO test, Spanish anti-doping are knee deep in legal troubles & a judge threw out the biological passport, WADA and IOC dare not ban a lot of Chinese swimmers, Hessmann is still waiting for his anti-doping judgement and races are getting faster and faster.
The state of things so far and we've not got to the GT's yet!

I missed that?
L*Equipe reporting on false EPO positive ...if UCI have a problem testing for EPO then that opens a whole can of worms .
https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur...vrai-dedommagement-pour-sa-suspension/1462743

Same story in English
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ping-agency-to-court-after-epo-false-positive
French rider Gauthier Navarro has been cleared following over a year suspended, and is looking to receive a severance following the damage.

The story was reported by French news outlet L'Équipe who state that Navarro and his lawyer are looking to take the French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) to court. This is because Navarro was suspended in 2021 for a positive EPO test following the under-23 Ronde de l'Isard race, and after 15 months of suspension the case was finished without an apology or justification.

Reactions: pastronef
Has the bio passport ever actually accomplished anything? All I ever hear about is it getting thrown out in court or having too large of wiggle room to be useful.
At this point, I think they mostly use it for targeted testing. If someone has suspicious values, it might not be enough to sanction them; however, they can use that info to increase testing on the athlete in question.

Reactions: Nomad
Has the bio passport ever actually accomplished anything? All I ever hear about is it getting thrown out in court or having too large of wiggle room to be useful.
Not really - there's only been 14 riders sanctioned on pure hematological-anomalies cases (compared to over a 100 in athletics distance running). It's been a little more successful in target testing for suspicious values resulting in an EPO positive test (20):

One guy missing from the list is Juan Jose Cobo. He was banned & had his 2011 Vuelta win strip because of hematological-anomalies:

Last edited: