• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State Sponsored Doping

elapid said:
China's former Olympic doctor admits to systematic doping of their athletes during his tenure at the 1984, 1988 and 1992 Olympics. He claims that they worked 50% of the time. He also claims that China entered into the doping world because America, Russia and France were all doping.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/china-fooled-into-olympic-doping-20120727-22zvg.html

Interesting read.

Not arguing with the citations (e.g. 1984 US Cycling Team). Odd, though, he didn't add GDR to the list. Werner Franke is probably fuming.

Dave.

elapid said:
China's former Olympic doctor admits to systematic doping of their athletes during his tenure at the 1984, 1988 and 1992 Olympics. He claims that they worked 50% of the time. He also claims that China entered into the doping world because America, Russia and France were all doping.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/china-fooled-into-olympic-doping-20120727-22zvg.html

Interesting read.

The AIS in Australia was rampant with Federally funded programs. Off the books of course but my god there was a lot of doping in that place.

Benotti69 said:
Corrected to bring it up to date :D

Well picked. I recall a similar spike (to Sky / UK) in performances with Spanish long distance runners around the time of the Barcelona games. Those runners came out of nowhere. The Barcelona games coincided with the early(ish) EPO era. However whether this was state sponsored doping I doubt. More likely just the natural consequence of Spanish local athletes looking for an edge at their home games.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
Well picked. I recall a similar spike (to Sky / UK) in performances with Spanish long distance runners around the time of the Barcelona games. Those runners came out of nowhere. The Barcelona games coincided with the early(ish) EPO era.

true. After the 1992 olympics, Spain was suddenly a power to reckon with at the longer distances.

sniper said:
true. After the 1992 olympics, Spain was suddenly a power to reckon with at the longer distances.
In the second half of the 80s, doctors like Fuentes were catching up to the rest of Europe. Spain's medal counts weren't normal for a developed country of that size. They're still rather low compared to similar countries, but Spain gets results in some high profile sports and it stands out, perhaps more than it should.

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
J O Koss in Lillehammer (speed skating) is a great example.

Mid pack to crusher just in time for the hometown games....

Looking at his palmares before hometown olympics in 1994, I would not consider him mid pack, more like one of the best.
Winning both World Allround and European Allround in 1991, for example.

World Allround - Gold 90,91 - Silver 93, Bronze 92
Olympics 92 - Gold 1500, Silver 10k
European Allround - Gold 91, Silver 90,91,93
+ World Cup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Olav_Koss#Medals

Jaco0505 said:
Looking at his palmares before hometown olympics in 1994, I would not consider him mid pack, more like one of the best.
Winning both World Allround and European Allround in 1991, for example.

World Allround - Gold 90,91 - Silver 93, Bronze 92
Olympics 92 - Gold 1500, Silver 10k
European Allround - Gold 91, Silver 90,91,93
+ World Cup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Olav_Koss#Medals

------------------------------------------------
When it comes to Koss there are many things to mention, as a Norwegian I've got my suspicions about this guy.

- You are right about his good results earlier, but in the 94 season he did not seem to be in that good form until the olympics where he was outstanding.

- What tells me he was likely doping is the coincidence of him being a medical student, with both parents being doctors. This in the prime of EPO doping, and there is also the fact of the doping controversy his girlfriend Samantha Riley got involved in, she was aquitted, but never swimmed fast again after the case of being given headache medicine by her doctor. Yeah right...

elapid said:

Interesting read.

He forgot to mention Chinese swimmers 2012 Olympics. He did not have to be involved to know that one. New masking agent ?

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
He forgot to mention Chinese swimmers 2012 Olympics. He did not have to be involved to know that one. New masking agent ?

yes , +1 , The 16 year old girl that swam a time as fast as Lochte`s and he is a seasoned man at 27 years of age . It was so unbelievable that even the sports network had to show the comparison again with the linear analyser gismo:confused: that they use to show world record time compared to where the swimmer is in relation to it .:rolleyes:

Nocontest said:
Speaking of nationally mandated and sanctioned doping programmes...aren't North Korea doing well in the weightlifting??!!:rolleyes:

And the Chinese and South Koreans are throwing matches at the badminton. What next ! Supposedly they were trying to avoid playing their B-Teams in the semis. Bit it was so blatant that the umpire had to stop the matches and warn them to stop hitting the shuttle out and into the net on purpose.

TRENDING THREADS