• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steepest street in Denmark - new video

Although the riders of the Tour de France are coming to Vejle this year, they will not be going up the city's steepest street - which is in fact the steepest street in the whole of Denmark.

Christian Winthersvej has a gradient of up to 25.5 percent, and on the first 160 meters of the climb the average gradient is more than 20. Is it even possible to ride all the way up on a bike no matter which type? That's what is being examined in this brand new video from Christian Winthersvej:

View: https://youtu.be/VDJNjm-XKDI

The street will be part of the route of the 2022 edition of the Tour of Denmark (PostNord Danmark Rundt). Presumably, the 160 meters from the start of Christian Winthersvej to the crossing at Gl. Kongevej is the steepest in the UCI calendar of 2022.

Last edited:
Although the riders of the Tour de France are coming to Vejle this year, they will not be going up the city's steepest street - which is in fact the steepest street in the whole of Denmark.

Christian Winthersvej has a gradient of up to 25.5 percent, and on the first 160 meters of the climb the average gradient is more than 20. Is it even possible to ride all the way up on a bike no matter which type? That's what is being examined in this brand new video from Christian Winthersvej:

View: https://youtu.be/VDJNjm-XKDI

The street will be part of the route of the 2022 edition of the Tour of Denmark (PostNord Danmark Rundt). Presumably, the 160 meters from the start of Christian Winthersvej to the crossing at Gl. Kongevej is the steepest in the UCI calendar of 2022.

Wild. In all seriousness it’s probably easier to run up it than ride, especially if they don’t come into it at speed.

kongebakken-christian-winthers-vej.png

Mythical climb that starts steepest and flattens out in the 2nd half.

Looks cool. Would actually make for a nice puncheur stage but then it's also so short that *** gets so nervous you get an insane crashfest if you put this into a TdF stage in the first week.

Last edited:
kongebakken-christian-winthers-vej.png

Mythical climb that starts steepest and flattens out in the 2nd half.

Looks cool. Would actually make for a nice puncheur stage but then it's also so short that *** gets so nervous you get an insane crashfest if you put this into a TdF stage in the first week.

Yeah, way too narrow.

I have done it twice. It's not easy...

It also messes with your mind because when you reach the last part it looks completely flat, and you wonder why you're not going faster. Then you look at your computer and it's still 10% o_O

Yeah, way too narrow.

I have done it twice. It's not easy...

It also messes with your mind because when you reach the last part it looks completely flat, and you wonder why you're not going faster. Then you look at your computer and it's still 10% o_O
Used to blow up on this hill that went from 12% to 3% every single time.

This sort of hill is probably also where the contrast between amateurs and pros is the most demotivating

Reactions: Sandisfan
These "micro muritos" are too chaotic for a large peloton. That's why you are rarely seeing them in road racing. Riders will be going into a narrow 20% climb with twelve different speeds.

They are more dangerous than the longer muritos where you can find a rhythm and pace yourself up the hill.

And if you are descending from a western direction, you'll have to break hard in order not to crash.

Isn't that very similar to the Flemish hills though?
Sprint to the Molenberg for example, and then a short narrow steep hill ...
Seems to work fine for Flanders ;-)
It's much steeper than Molenberg. Significantly steeper than Koppenberg and Paterberg as well.

I wouldn't even call it a hill.. It's simply too short. More like a brutal ramp.

We haven't seen many climbs like that so it's hard to judge who is is best rider on those. I would suppose Van Aert, Ala or Van Der Poel. Maybe Pog and Roglic too.

Still dont know why they didnt make a cracked up Vejle-stage. Would have been an amazing start to TdF with a nice opening TT, a crosswind stage and a hilly one. Actually would have mirrored the start of 2015. It still is a good start IMO, but would love to see a similar Tour of Denmark stage as the 3rd stage in Denmark here.

Reactions: Danskebjerge
It's much steeper than Molenberg. Significantly steeper than Koppenberg and Paterberg as well.

I wouldn't even call it a hill.. It's simply too short. More like a brutal ramp.

We haven't seen many climbs like that so it's hard to judge who is is best rider on those. I would suppose Van Aert, Ala or Van Der Poel. Maybe Pog and Roglic too.
Its definitely a climb that takes longer than say Paterberg

Last edited:
Still dont know why they didnt make a cracked up Vejle-stage. Would have been an amazing start to TdF with a nice opening TT, a crosswind stage and a hilly one. Actually would have mirrored the start of 2015. It still is a good start IMO, but would love to see a similar Tour of Denmark stage as the 3rd stage in Denmark here.

At least none of the following 17 stages are flat.

• Haha
These "micro muritos" are too chaotic for a large peloton. That's why you are rarely seeing them in road racing. Riders will be going into a narrow 20% climb with twelve different speeds.

They are more dangerous than the longer muritos where you can find a rhythm and pace yourself up the hill.

And if you are descending from a western direction, you'll have to break hard in order not to crash.

I agree, but I do think that Gl. Kongevej works fine. The turn at the bottom of Gl. Kongevej is even a bit easier than the one at Kiddesvej in the other part of Vejle.

A three meter broad street like Christian Winthersvej - that's something quite different. And in addition much steeper at the bottom. I have always wanted to see the street used in a TT - I never really expected it in a real professional road race. But it will be interesting to see how it works out. :)

Kiddesvej was deemed too narrow for a Tour De France peloton as a hill top finish and Prudhomme wanted the airport at a 5 km distance from the finish line.

But you could still have a fairly challenging 3rd stage with the finish line in Billund. Obviously a sprinter stage but a lot better for the classics riders and puncheurs with a 45 km mid section packed with 7 small climbs. And the Unesco monuments of Christiansfeld and Jelling still present for the audience.

Hillystage.png

TRENDING THREADS