• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stem Cell Treatment

May 11, 2009
Visit site
In the February 2013 issue of Scientific American there is an article on professional athletes who use stem cell treatment. Primarily to repair damaged tissue. The article says there is no evidence that the treatment works but athletes still use it. No mention of it being used by cyclists.

Nevertheless I could imagine this treatment being tried by cyclists to enhance tissue strength since there may be no current detection method.

Does stem cell treatment violate WADA rules?

There have been some really promising results in racehorses coming back to a high level using their own stem cells to rebuild bowed tendons. A bowed tendon is recoverable but rarely can a horse return at the same level as previously.

It is very expensive and takes about a year but for a horse that is good enough to win 500K+ races it is worth trying. I've seen 3 cases now where horses have come back at the Grade/Group1 level.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
There have been some really promising results in racehorses coming back to a high level using their own stem cells to rebuild bowed tendons. A bowed tendon is recoverable but rarely can a horse return at the same level as previously.

It is very expensive and takes about a year but for a horse that is good enough to win 500K+ races it is worth trying. I've seen 3 cases now where horses have come back at the Grade/Group1 level.

With respect, and willing to be challenged, but does that not sound like, frankly, legit medicine? You have an injury that can be healed, you heal it? If a rider, footballer etc has knee cartilege damage, for example, would a stem cell treatment of his own cells that fixed it not be, well, legit?

After all, footballers have been getting the tendons of cadavers put into dodgy limbs for decades.

Stem cell only becomes a problem if it's to introduce 'foreign' 'climber' DNA to entirely recreate a human being - and I think that's some distance off!

injured

martinvickers said:
With respect, and willing to be challenged, but does that not sound like, frankly, legit medicine?

i think that treatment such as carols highlighted would be

acceptable.....treatment to recover from injury rather than an aid to

increasing performance such as blood doping

after all no-one would object to blood transfusion at time of traumatic injury

martinvickers said:
With respect, and willing to be challenged, but does that not sound like, frankly, legit medicine? You have an injury that can be healed, you heal it? If a rider, footballer etc has knee cartilege damage, for example, would a stem cell treatment of his own cells that fixed it not be, well, legit?

After all, footballers have been getting the tendons of cadavers put into dodgy limbs for decades.

Stem cell only becomes a problem if it's to introduce 'foreign' 'climber' DNA to entirely recreate a human being - and I think that's some distance off!

Humans are another case and I have no idea how it would be regarded. But it seems to me if they use their own cells for rehab it should be legit.

In horse racing circles it is being viewed as an alternative to retiring a horse or racing them back post recovery at lower levels. No foreign DNA is used in the cases I have followed. It is seen as an Advance in veterinary science.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
blackcat said:
I have heard the Brits were experimenting with this frankenstein-ian meffod

Heard the same thing from two different sources, both credible. At the time I put it down to professional jealousy, but... you never know.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:

good info love, thanks

martinvickers said:

how about putting your own blood into your own body? I do not advocate it but I can see why people could make an argument for it being fair and fully natural.

how natural is it to take time off from normal life to go to an african island to ride your push bike up a volcano and stay at altitude to manipulate your blood?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
esafosfina said:
Heard the same thing from two different sources, both credible. At the time I put it down to professional jealousy, but... you never know.
could be, yes.

this is one of those instances, I could see conspiracy theories taking prominence.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
how about putting your own blood into your own body? I do not advocate it but I can see why people could make an argument for it being fair and fully natural.

No-one would have a problem with that for , say, anaemia, or if required because of blood loss in a crash - though it would be suspicious to have your own blood to hand, rather than rely on the ABO +/- system.

But putting blood into an otherwise healthy, if tired, body simply to artifically increase a capacity comes close enough to doping to outlaw, i think - the introduction of substances into the body.

how natural is it to take time off from normal life to go to an african island to ride your push bike up a volcano and stay at altitude to manipulate your blood?

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
good info love, thanks

And on to the slippery-slope we go!

Is any training in pro-cycling natural? Is everything in pro-cycling natural, just some of it is banned and other things are not?

I'm outta here, I've got gene therapy in the morning...

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
silverrocket said:
And on to the slippery-slope we go!

Is any training in pro-cycling natural? Is everything in pro-cycling natural, just some of it is banned and other things are not?

I'm outta here, I've got gene therapy in the morning...

that's what i mean, most things aren't black and white.

Exploiting cancer to steal people's money is never ok though. Bullying is never ok. And that's why we all wish the worst for lance. Not the doping.

TRENDING THREADS