• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steve Bauer: "cycling is cleanest sport in the world"

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JMBeaushrimp said:
Hadn't heard that. My wife's a Canuck and from a long line of hockey players and fans. I thought they would've beat that one into me - unfortunately, literally...

Lacrosse was the national sport since the country's inception.

Apparently, because in Canada we believe in compromising on everything, In 1994, Ice Hockey was made the national winter sport.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/N-16.7/page-1.html#h-2

The game commonly known as ice hockey is hereby recognized and declared to be the national winter sport of Canada and the game commonly known as lacrosse is hereby recognized and declared to be the national summer sport of Canada

Once we recognize EPO as the national PED of choice, road cycling may be added as the official spring sport and mtb as the official fall (sic) sport.

Dave.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Why would he complain about drug use in the 80's? Clean riders during those times had no reason to berate riders that were cheating against them. The dopers were just fooling themselves by using ineffective PED's such as steroids before the game changing EPO. It is common knowledge that a clean rider had no problem beating those placebo injecting rubes in the 80's. It is hilarious they still haven't learned their lesson because they are still using these ineffective drugs today.

I just checked Wikipedia and see he retired in 1995, well into the EPO era. It makes no sense why he doesn't have a column on CN berating riders that emerged in that generation and robbed him of his glory. Maybe he thinks he has some type of blood disease which caused him to start getting his azz kicked. He should read the clinic more.

I can name several anabolic steroids which stimulate production of EPO and those steroids have been around since the 50s/60s/70s - you don't know your pharmacology if you think they were placebos. Steroids don't just bulk muscle ;)

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Apollonius said:
I can name several anabolic steroids which stimulate production of EPO and those steroids have been around since the 50s/60s/70s - you don't know your pharmacology if you think they were placebos. Steroids don't just bulk muscle ;)

Blasphemy!

I hope you have your helmet on. :D

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've always got my helmet on haha!

It's just people associate Anabolics with explosive strength gains, over short distances and an increase gain in muscle mass which is obviously detrimental to endurance athletes but when using steroids it's very much the type of diet and exercise which dictates how the body uses the drug.
An endurance athlete will nearly always be in a catabolic state, in negative calories so he's not going to build any muscle mass using the drugs but what the steroids will do is aid in muscle recovery, repair injuries faster and stop the body cannibalising muscle for food. That's their main advantage in low doses for the endurance athlete - so you can go out and ride fresh again in the morning rather than the boost EPO gives to your VO2 max cycling up hill :)

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Apollonius said:
I've always got my helmet on haha!

It's just people associate Anabolics with explosive strength gains, over short distances and an increase gain in muscle mass which is obviously detrimental to endurance athletes but when using steroids it's very much the type of diet and exercise which dictates how the body uses the drug.
An endurance athlete will nearly always be in a catabolic state, in negative calories so he's not going to build any muscle mass using the drugs but what the steroids will do is aid in muscle recovery, repair injuries faster and stop the body cannibalising muscle for food. That's their main advantage in low doses for the endurance athlete - so you can go out and ride fresh again in the morning rather than the boost EPO gives to your VO2 max cycling up hill :)

Bbbbut, I thought a good clean rider could beat roided up riders especially over a 3 week GT. :confused:

ChrisE said:
WTH is going on? I said nothing about blood doping, or anything about the 84 US Olympic team. :confused:

I was responding to "the delgados" about why Bauer didn't complain about doping when he was racing in the 80's. Sarcastically, I might add, but that sarcasm seems to be lost as well.....I must try harder but it is a tightrope avoiding the ban hammer. :cool:

Bauer was quoted extensively about doping during the 1988 season in Samuel Abt's book, In High Gear. He was one of the more outspoken critics of doping in his day.

On the other hand, a little known fact about Bauer is that he was a member of the famed "inner circle"... you know the one that surrounded a certain Texan who won 7 Tours. Bauer was actually Armstrong's first choice to be the Director of USPS for the 1999 season, and if memory serves, was all set to take over as the new DS, but opted out and in came The Hog.

So take Bauer's comments for what they are worth.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
perico said:
Bauer was quoted extensively about doping during the 1988 season in Samuel Abt's book, In High Gear. He was one of the more outspoken critics of doping in his day.

I haven't been able to find it yet in my storage bins, but the 1989 CCA racing handbook had a page with a Fair Play/Drug Free sport ad with Bauer. It quoted him as saying, I know myself, Andy Hampsten, and Greg Lemond can win without doping.

TRENDING THREADS