• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steve Bauer/Team Canada

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
This past weekend in The Toronto Sun newspaper, an article about Steve and how he is DS for the continental SpiderTech team i.e. Team Canada and how he is seeking diamonds in the rough from local Canuk crazy hockey rinks. "You can identify talent fairly quickly in raw horsepower and take it from there."

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2011/01/22/16995011.html

Whats interesting and the reason it's clinic-worthy is that he states cycling has the best anti-doping process in the world.

Below is a pic of the article's doping blurb that was tacked on in the lower corner of the print copy but oddly enough not the online version!?
Its the same rhetoric that too many omerta bound people make who continue to earn their pay check from cycling.

Another interesting point is that LA, called on Steve to DS his squad prior to his 7 TDF wins. I just summarized what was printed as they gave no other details.

So with him spewing the same old narrative and LA wanting him to run his "program" this just makes it out that Steve is just as complicit as the next guy.

Please say its not so Steve?!?! You're Canadian, no canadian would ever dop......Oh snap, I can't say that. Ben lives a few blocks from me.

HH

5385202780_f677b207a4_b.jpg

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
"The best testing protocols is the world" is a relative thing. Bauer's from Canada (therefore North America), and those sports that count there don't test for sh*t - or maybe they do, although sh*t is not on the banned list.

No foul for trying to make the sport look good. H*ll, I do the same thing....

JMBeaushrimp said:
"The best testing protocols is the world" is a relative thing. Bauer's from Canada (therefore North America), and those sports that count there don't test for sh*t - or maybe they do, although sh*t is not on the banned list.

No foul for trying to make the sport look good. H*ll, I do the same thing....

It is an odd way to go about doing that, however (trying to make the sport look good). Particularly when such a claim would need to be backed by evidence and results.

The evidence we have is that the UCI is thwarting anti-doping at every turn. That the introduction of the passport has reduced urine testing - which is where EPO is detected. For the most part, the Passport has been 'Much Ado about Nothing'.

The WADA IO report clearly underscored how even the most at-risk cyclists were not being tested. Running a bunch of tests that by their nature are not designed to actually catch anyone is a lot of pomp and pagaentry.

'Ground Zero' (Gunderson translated into English) still claims to have never tested positive while the head of the UCI is claiming this is the cleanest sport ever. It is farcical.

But, it is interesting nonetheless that Steve would feel so compelled to lead with this type of statement in the early stage of forming this team.

One can only imagine that he must have come up with a lot of concern and resistance, from sponsors and others, about doping in cycling.

Thus, perhaps this is one vote that the world is increasingly aware of the notariety of the sport.

And, there absolutely is doping in cycling in Canda. Anyone closely attached to the sport should be very well aware of that. We may not have as many riders in the pro peloton, but that doesn't mean some of our cyclists are turning away from the good stuff.

Rather than claim the best program without supporting evidence, however, it would be better to be seen as an active participant in cleaning it up. Otherwise, it sounds like the empty promises of a tin-pot dictator.

Dave.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
hiccuphell said:
This past weekend in The Toronto Sun newspaper, an article about Steve and how he is DS for the continental SpiderTech team i.e. Team Canada and how he is seeking diamonds in the rough from local Canuk crazy hockey rinks. "You can identify talent fairly quickly in raw horsepower and take it from there."

Whats interesting and the reason it's clinic-worthy is that he states cycling has the best anti-doping process in the world.

Below is a pic of the article's doping blurb that was tacked on in the lower corner of the print copy but oddly enough not the online version!?
Its the same rhetoric that too many omerta bound people make who continue to earn their pay check from cycling.

Another interesting point is that LA, called on Steve to DS his squad prior to his 7 TDF wins. I just summarized what was printed as they gave no other details.

So with him spewing the same old narrative and LA wanting him to run his "program" this just makes it out that Steve is just as complicit as the next guy.

Please say its not so Steve?!?! You're Canadian, no canadian would ever dop......Oh snap, I can't say that. Ben lives a few blocks from me.

HH

...there is no way that Mr. Bauer had anything to do with drugs...after-all he was Greg LeMond's room-mate for three years...and we all know where Greg stands on the drug issue...so the man is innocent by association...

...thank you...thank you very much...

Cheers

blutto

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
hiccuphell said:

HH

...there is no way that Mr. Bauer had anything to do with drugs...after-all he was Greg LeMond's room-mate for three years...and we all know where Greg stands on the drug issue...so the man is innocent by association...

...well that was easy...now where is that new thread about LA being the ruination of everything that is good and pure and stuff...

Cheers

blutto

blutto said:

...well that was easy...now where is that new thread about LA being the ruination of everything that is good and pure and stuff...

Cheers

blutto

Um, still only team mates for 2...

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:

...alright, already,you're right...but he was still a room-mate and therefore still innocent...there, we are all happy now...yes?..

Cheers

blutto

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
blutto said:
...alright you're right...but he was still a room-mate and therefore still innocent...

Cheers

blutto

Greg was married. Where is it that you think the two roomed together?

Do you mean they might have shared hotel rooms at one point? Perhaps, but by the time Bauer joined the squad, Lemond was getting his own rooms, and his wife often joined him.

Try again.

BotanyBay said:
Greg was married. Where is it that you think the two roomed together?

Do you mean they might have shared hotel rooms at one point? Perhaps, but by the time Bauer joined the squad, Lemond was getting his own rooms, and his wife often joined him.

Try again.

That was going to be my next point. Room-mates during three weeks of one Tour, MAYBE two. That's it. Blutto throws it out there like they roomed for four years at college or something.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Give it a chance guys .

Lets all not get all negative over all the dope stuff . Lets give Steve a chance to get his team going and support his vision of the Direction of his SpiderTech team .
BEST OF LUCK STEVE .
:cool:

stainlessguy1 said:
Lets all not get all negative over all the dope stuff . Lets give Steve a chance to get his team going and support his vision of the Direction of his SpiderTech team .
BEST OF LUCK STEVE .
Nothing against Steve, but what do you mean by getting all negative over all the dope stuff?

Dope is negative. This is a negative lead. Moreover, it is a blatant parroting of an untruthfull Pat McQuaidism.

This is as deserving a thread as we have in the Clinic.

Setting aside that there is known doping in Cdn cycling, knowing Steve's prominence in the sport and his own reputation, this is on topic for the Clinic and newsworthy.

Why is Steve leading with the negative - and the lie?

Is there something to hide?

Dave.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Actually you're wrong.

Lemond rode for La Vie Claire in 1985 & 86 as did Bauer. They also rode for Toshiba in 87, Lemond finished 19th in Het Volk just behind Bauer.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
blutto said:

Cheers

blutto

so you're accusing Bauer of doping because he roomed with LeMond?

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Nothing against Steve, but what do you mean by getting all negative over all the dope stuff?

Dope is negative. This is a negative lead. Moreover, it is a blatant parroting of an untruthfull Pat McQuaidism.

This is as deserving a thread as we have in the Clinic.

Setting aside that there is known doping in Cdn cycling, knowing Steve's prominence in the sport and his own reputation, this is on topic for the Clinic and newsworthy.

Dave.

Dave :

I am not meaning its not deserving of the clinic , it is a good thread .
I think Steve is speaking as a director and has dotted the I's and crossed the T's in the newspaper article and that is about all he can do at the moment; considering the medias interest in doping and the sport of cycling .
Doping is on eveyones mind all the time and especially in cycling , so it will constantly come up . However , to keep the endeavor of a team running someone must say what was said .
It is the same as a pro hockey player interview at the end of a period when asked what the team will do leading into the second period. Standard answer : we are going to try to dig a little harder in the corners and get that puck out to center ice , then see if we can get a shot on net .
I am sure you will all watch Steve's team under a microscope .
As for me i am going to wish him the best of luck .

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
He's speaking from a North American paradigm...

How's cycling testing versus the NHL, CFL, NFL, etc? Probably a lot more stringent...

I think that's the point he's trying to make. Hey, it's cycling. Damage control never ends with the rotten state the sport's in...

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:

How's cycling testing versus the NHL, CFL, NFL, etc? Probably a lot more stringent...

I think that's the point he's trying to make. Hey, it's cycling. Damage control never ends with the rotten state the sport's in...

well written , Thank you .

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
That was going to be my next point. Room-mates during three weeks of one Tour, MAYBE two. That's it. Blutto throws it out there like they roomed for four years at college or something.

...maybe you guys should bring it up with Steve next time you guys meet for coffee...or maybe just talk to the folks who wrote the article...

...just a thought...

..still innocent by association according to the information at hand...

Cheers

blutto

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:

Dave.

He's not leading with it. The journalist is.

And I'm not sure what the lie is. Is it that cycling has the best anti-doping program? Because I can't think of a better one.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
this_is_edie said:
so you're accusing Bauer of doping because he roomed with LeMond?

...oh, come on, you are not seriously hinting that Greg used drugs...for shame!..its off to the penalty box for you...10 min for unsportsmanlike conduct...and while you are in there think long and hard about what you have just said...

Cheers

blutto

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
blutto said:
...oh, come on, you are not seriously hinting that Greg used drugs...for shame!..its off to the penalty box for you...10 min for unsportsmanlike conduct...and while you are in there think long and hard about what you have just said...

Cheers

blutto

just answer the question, yes or no, are you accusing Bauer of doping because he roomed with LeMond when they raced on the same team.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:

Yup. The NHL refused to suspend Bryan Berard for testing positive for steroids. Our CFL openly admitted they couldn't afford to test players. The NFL suspended Brian Cushing for a basically a month (4 games) for testing positive for steroids.

TRENDING THREADS