• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven de Jongh - treksegafredo missing person

Seems he was unconscious in a ravine along the side of the road for about 5 hours. Dutch journalist in Spain Edwin Winkels tweeted he regained consciousness in hospital which gives me hope his injuries aren't too serious. It's rare to be unconscious for such a long time.

Kwibus said:
brownbobby said:
Thank God he's been found....but how on Earth did his ride end up on Strava if he was unconscious.

Somebody wanted him to be found.....

I have no experience with strava, but it doesnt have some sort of automated tracker? Automatic upload of ride or something?

He was riding and uploaded from a Garmin 1000 according to Twitter....the ride will auto pause but then you have to physically press buttons twice to stop and then save the ride. Only then does the ride 'auto upload' to Strava.

Only thing I can guess, and it's purely guesswork, is that there was something preventing him from using his phone, but he had the presence of mind to upload his ride to notify people of his position.

rick james said:
brownbobby said:
Thank God he's been found....but how on Earth did his ride end up on Strava if he was unconscious.

Somebody wanted him to be found.....
sure the newer Garmin devices can up load via Bluetooth and your phone, or its been connected to WIFI

Its all guess work from me, I love my Garmin edge 500

You're right Rick, they can and do, but only after you've pressed buttons at least twice to do so

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
What I don't get is, why did it take so long to find him if his exact location was online for hours. I read he was found by a helicopter? I mean did nobody have the idea to first check the point where everyone expected him to be anyway?

I do not expect, that police knew that and even his wife ... . It is really not probable. Cyclists (runners) knows what strava is, but I would not bet that police will know and even of they will know, that they will know, that he uploaded last ride.

Interesting if I remember correctly, you can pay some fee and then your ride is available online live. Seems to be reasonable to pay ... .

lartiste said:
Gigs_98 said:
What I don't get is, why did it take so long to find him if his exact location was online for hours. I read he was found by a helicopter? I mean did nobody have the idea to first check the point where everyone expected him to be anyway?

I do not expect, that police knew that and even his wife ... . It is really not probable. Cyclists (runners) knows what strava is, but I would not bet that police will know and even of they will know, that they will know, that he uploaded last ride.

Interesting if I remember correctly, you can pay some fee and then your ride is available online live. Seems to be reasonable to pay ... .
He likely wasn't found at the same place his Strava ride ended. There is no ravine anywhere near as Susan says.

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
There is also a garmin function for crash detection on some of their models, not sure about that particular model but i know the 820 has it.
Íf connected to your phone during the ride it will upload your course once the giroscopes go berserk.
Hope he's doing well.

Have to admit I've expected a different plot reading the headline... a wife, missing husband on a bicycle ride... you're getting the idea, I'm sure.
But it's far more serious than my silly nature assumes at first.
Best wishes to De Jonghs (mr and mrs) for a speedy recovery and hopes that the incident will be resolved.

TRENDING THREADS