• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great ride from Kruijswijk so far: always in control, he hasn't put a foot wrong in two weeks and he has been putting his weight in all the right moves. Only his team can make him lose if he has a mechanical or something. I think he's too experienced by now to suffer some hunger knock although no one is free from that.

Friday should favor him with only two long big cols. Saturday is gonna be one last big test for him. If even Battaglin and Roglic are already long gone on the first col and can't come back on the descent he might be in problems. If he ain't got no damage on Friday though, he can simply do his own powermeter race and keep an eye on the time check.

He is not explosive. He is not a good TTer. IMO he is good for top 5 in GTs. in this Giro, everybody except for him has either bad luck or bad form which is why he is leading by so much time. But however he can only compete with whats available. Just like a Froome Contador battle never materialized in the TDF or Nibali wining TDF 2014. We will see his performance in the upcoming years if he's a one GT horse or not

Re: Re:

lenric said:
IndianCyclist said:
He is not explosive. He is not a good TTer.

The same can be said about Quintana.

I don't agree with the statements anyway.

He's a very decent TTer. Not a very good one, but certainly not a bad one.
Last year 5th in the 60km TT in the Giro for example. He was 22nd at the TT in Apeldoorn, which was short and pancake flat.
How could anyone call that "He can't TT" ?

People say he isn't explosive. Sure he isn't a puncheur, but he doesn't have problems with changes of pace. He jumped on so many wheels today and this entire giro. Pretty much always one of the first to react on attacks and eventually also attacked himself right after 2 attacks before his one.

What's explosive? Sure he isn't Valverde or Rodriguez... or Gilbert, but he's no 1 pace climber. I also don't agree with him being a diesel. He certainly likes long climbs and long stages in the mountains, but is perfectly fine with changes of pace. Pure diesels really don't like changes of pace.

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I think we saw yesterday that Kruiswijk not having a team doesn't necessarily mean trouble if other riders will ride defensively. And it sure looks they will: Valverde has already said that his aim is to protect his podium place. Chaves will surely do the same, while Zakarin will try to get on the podium. Looks to me like most riders have already decided that second is the highest place still up for grabs.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Domulec said:
I think we saw yesterday that Kruiswijk not having a team doesn't necessarily mean trouble if other riders will ride defensively. And it sure looks they will: Valverde has already said that his aim is to protect his podium place. Chaves will surely do the same, while Zakarin will try to get on the podium. Looks to me like most riders have already decided that second is the highest place still up for grabs.
Always so brave.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
We know how the dutch are with the tour. He might be forced to do the tour anyways, especially since you guys didn't make it to the european cup in football.

I'm not even trolling, they'll have even more publicity then. And he did the tour last year too iirc.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
hrotha said:
More on topic: Kruijswijk's contract ends this year, aye?

If he just leaves after having problem with his legs for multiple seasons, then.. yikes. He won't, he shouldn't.

Tour or Vuelta?
Yeah, but on the other hand you can't blame anyone for leaving Rabofail. :D

Re:

Miburo said:
We know how the dutch are with the tour. He might be forced to do the tour anyways, especially since you guys didn't make it to the european cup in football.

I'm not even trolling, they'll have even more publicity then. And he did the tour last year too iirc.
That would show ill faith in Gesink and Kelderman

And while I agree Gesink has done nothing this year. He also had done nothing last year until he suddenly flew in the Tour. So Lotto does seem to get peaking in GT's right lately.

Re:

Miburo said:
Come on bro, don't tell me you're gonna have faith in these guys now? :D
a top 10 for Gesink would not be surprising. Even Kelderman can if all stars align for him and he manages to stay on his bike for once.

Kruijswijk can do a lot, but I think he also will suffer the Giro tired syndrome in the TDF. Let him please first try and win the Giro. My mind won't be at ease until Turin :)

Re:

Miburo said:

I know. Worse of all is that everyone will be thinking that he has a chance of winning it and then everybody will be completely shocked that he lost 15 minutes on the first climb.

Kwibus said:
Miburo said:

I know. Worse of all is that everyone will be thinking that he has a chance of winning it and then everybody will be completely shocked that he lost 15 minutes on the first climb.

While Aspin is a hard climb, you would have to crash and bonk 3 times in order to lose 15 minutes when your name is Kruijswijk. But I get your point

He deserves this Giro, he is a very strong rider for this kind of race, and this year he had luck and a full support of the team in the flat.

I have followed one by one all the riders born in 85-86-87, I had always the sense that Gesink was the good one of the tresome with Mollena and Kruijswick, with Mollema second. And in some way I think still the same. But Steven showed some glimses to win one day the Giro and finally he had the oportunity and he is getting it.

He was very strong last year as well, especially in Mortirolo stage. This year he is even stronger.

What he did yesterday stage fighting alone againts everybody was amazing.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
He deserves this Giro, he is a very strong rider for this kind of race, and this year he had luck and a full support of the team in the flat.

I have followed one by one all the riders born in 85-86-87, I had always the sense that Gesink was the good one of the tresome with Mollena and Kruijswick, with Mollema second. And in some way I think still the same. But Steven showed some glimses to win one day the Giro and finally he had the oportunity and he is getting it.

He was very strong last year as well, especially in Mortirolo stage. This year he is even stronger.

What he did yesterday stage fighting alone againts everybody was amazing.

Gesink peaked at the age of 21 and Mollema at the age of 24. Typical dutch supertalents that stopped getting better at an early age unfortunately.
Kruijswijk seemed to have taken the more common progress and addind his injury that halted his progress for 3 years it kind of makes sense.
If Gesink would've progressed normally he would've been one of the best climbers right now.

TRENDING THREADS