• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stick a fork in Alberto Contador

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
SiAp1984 said:
Good for the Tour that it looks like AC is beaten on the road this year. whether or not he gets banned (would deserve it, of course). No matter, if Andy, Fränk or Cadel finish the job- the legend of the unbeatable GT-rider is likely to be over. Lance Armstrong never risked to lose a Tour before 2009- AC did. Courage? I am not sure. BTW: Of coursen this years Giro was hard and AC totally ruled it. But the contention was weak compared to the Tour. Scarponi and a Nibali not at his best as top-rivals? C'mon. This Giro-victory is of minor value, because no in-form Schlecks, Basso and/or Evans there ("Not a valuable win because AC wasn' there" - That's what all the AC-fans would have said about this years Tour-winner had AC missed the race. So it is just fair to apply the same method to him). Man, I love this Tour!

Regardless of what you think Contador fans would say if he had sat out this Tour, I would like to place money on an in-from Contador vs. an in-form Schleck/Basso/Evans/et al. An in-form Contador will never lose that. Ever. In-form Contador will beat the following in-form cyclists: Nibali (a great champion) or Andy (a huge talent) or Basso & Evans (both journeyman heroes) or etc. And the best part is that, regardless of form, he'll try to beat those men--and everyone else, every time, all year long--at every race he starts.

I've been won over by Contador's talent, humility, gracious poise in the public sphere, and violent grace on the bicycle.

Chapeau, Contador. Viva El Campeón.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
A couple of you have made this point, but I want to echo it:

AC is likely to finish in the top ten of the toughest GT, after crashing twice (3 times?) and nursing an injured knee against competition who raced less this year than he did.

Now, explain to me why that is some sort of epic failure? If it was anyone else, Phil and Paul and everyone would be in orbit about 'spirit' and 'heart' and 'job of work' (WTF DOES that mean?) and on and on.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Paul and Phil are the ultimate LA fan boys. Paul has investments in a few LA ventures. AC showed up as TdF champion and LA thought he would bendover and move aside to let him win. AC didnt do that. Hence why Contador is so "hated".

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Contador could make a move tomorrow you never know. Contador is hated because he does things like the whole "pistol" at the finish line, and going against his team in the last grand tour with Lance. People don't hate Contador solely on his suspected doping.

Boeing said:
I have more respect for him after this Tour than ever before.

With Giro Legs, Boos and suspicion and the Villain script played out in the media over chain gate, he still rides on despite poor form. Like a Champ

Im a fan

I agree with everything you said. Nicely done. Ever since LA released his fans on Contador, I seem so rub to his defense.
Contador is an exciting rider who takes the boos, takes the injuries and takes all the ****e LA/Bruyneel did to him in 2009 and just rides. He doesn't complain. I respect that

May 26, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
Contador could make a move tomorrow you never know. Contador is hated because he does things like the whole "pistol" at the finish line, and going against his team in the last grand tour with Lance. People don't hate Contador solely on his suspected doping.

To quote Black Francis "Excuse me, please?"

I seem to remember that the hog didn't have the balls to tell Lance that he wasn't the leader. From that Tour it was Lance who did all the underhand things, and he still got his *** handed back to him and he couldn't handle it, he then got his media cronies(hey Phil, Paul, Bob and the rest) to start the mud throwing.

bicing said:
Here at the TDF he's done.

But remember back 2 months ago he won the most difficult GT profile of all time in a commanding manner. He is still the boss of GT's. He is still the definition of good racing: attacking to win, riding aggressively, exciting the fans. He is still one of the greatest of all time.

i have to agree. the Giro was very fun to watch. he was a cat playing with mice.
just not lining up for this Tour.
the team,the crashes,the knee. and he could still podium,or not...

SilentAssassin said:

Proving that the hatred for Contador is a carry over from the 09 Tour and comes mostly from Lance fans. Anyone who thinks Contador went against his team as opposed to his team screwing him over is still living in dreamland.

I understand people disliking Alberto for his dominance, his clinic issues, the pistol thing is annoying at the most but I see nothing in his character worthy of hate. He is a humble champion and his approach to the sport is worthy of a great degree of respect.

Like many on here, his performances at the Tour despite being out of form have really impressed me. Even today, he never gave up. The fact he is in the Top 10 despite all his problems is a credit to the guy.

I think Contador has won many new fans this Tour without even trying to do so.

pmcg76 said:
Proving that the hatred for Contador is a carry over from the 09 Tour and comes mostly from Lance fans. Anyone who thinks Contador went against his team as opposed to his team screwing him over is still living in dreamland.

I understand people disliking Alberto for his dominance, his clinic issues, the pistol thing is annoying at the most but I see nothing in his character worthy of hate. He is a humble champion and his approach to the sport is worthy of a great degree of respect.

I agree with most of this. The pistol thing is just his celebration, people should get over it most athletes have one. And the 2009 thing, come on, he was best rider on his team and if he'd done what Bruyneel wanted there was a chance Andy would have won that tour.

For me there's only a few acceptable reasons to dislike (and never hate) Contador:
1. The fact that for a while he was so dominant there was a chance he could make all of cycling a procession like in the Armstrong years.

2. The fact that it seems his legal team has struggled to not get a decision from the CAS but rather just extend it as long as they could (though that is more a reason to dislike his entourage then Alberto himself). In my opinion he should be either cleared or suspended by now but not in this limbo.

3. The fact some people talk about him like he's so far beyond everyone there's no way he can ever be beaten unless he's not on form. I don't mind admitting that he's the best there is right now but I have to say the whole "the only reason Andy got close to him in 2010 was because he was on bad form" thing really annoys me. I don't think it's right to elevate someone to the level where anytime anyone gets close to him it has to be because he's not on form, it can't be because someone else is actually quite talented as well.

All of that being said I still believe there's far more reasons to admire him then to hate him I just want him to be shown to be human (which has happened this tour) and I hope that he will be challenged for his wins so he has to work for them. I just happen to like Andy and Fränk better.

pmcg76 said:
Like many on here, his performances at the Tour despite being out of form have really impressed me. Even today, he never gave up. The fact he is in the Top 10 despite all his problems is a credit to the guy.

+1 on this. Even though he isn't at his best he still tried to win this tour by hanging in there in the pyrenees and attacking on tuesday and wednesday. Even though I'm still not a Contador fan (and I'll never be, nothing against him I just don't become a fan of an athlete or a team after they attain dominance) I gained a lot of respect for him and I hope he'll be able to be back here next year and fight it out with whoever ends up winning the tour this year (hopefully a Schleck of course ;)) to see who's best.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Ramira, a balanced post.

I'm an unashamed Contador fan and get sick of the ill informed bashing.

Chapeau to both Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans. A great ride by both, it brought the race to life. Long may it continue.

Christchurch said:
Chapeau to both Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans. A great ride by both, it brought the race to life. Long may it continue.

Don't forget chapeau to Alberto himself, without his attack on tuesday I very much doubt Andy would've gone this early today. Even though he wasn't at his best he was still the one to break open this year's tour.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Ramira said:
Don't forget chapeau to Alberto himself, without his attack on tuesday I very much doubt Andy would've gone this early today. Even though he wasn't at his best he was still the one to break open this year's tour.

+1 to this. Another chapeau to Bertie for the classy way he handled today's disappointment-- no whining or blaming, just said I've gotta rest and get ready for any options left tomorrow, even as he's admitting that yellow is now probably impossible. It's hard to dislike a quiet, tough rider who mostly talks with his legs.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Ramira said:

2wheels said:
+1 to this. Another chapeau to Bertie for the classy way he handled today's disappointment-- no whining or blaming, just said I've gotta rest and get ready for any options left tomorrow, even as he's admitting that yellow is now probably impossible. It's hard to dislike a quiet, tough rider who mostly talks with his legs.

I am sure AC knew early on he didn't have what he wanted or felt he needed today. Yet at 13.8 K to go, he was at the front helping Cadel pull. He didn't last long but he could have just sat back and followed wheels. That seemingly got Cadel and the others to wake up and start chasing with a bit more vigor.

AC won't get the credit he deserves for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread. With a Giro in his legs, The GC contenders with little hard racing stage races in their legs, still had a hard time dropping him and really haven't put that much time in him.

I am a fan! Have been a fan due to his climbing and his humble nature. I will continue to be a fan.

I hope he doesn't stop trying to do GT doubles. I think he will get bored and lose interest if he just focuses on the Tour every year. Winning one GT over and over is good, I imagine not much of challenge for him. I think he will try the Giro/Tour again. Just because it is seemingly impossible. Perhaps a Giro that isn't the hardest in history.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Yep, it might be a generalisation but all too often AC hater = LA fanthing.

pmcg76 said:

Great post!

MonkeyKnifeFight said:
Contador with his Giro form would have made for a much different race. I like the idea of a Tour Vuelta double. Depending on the routes it could be possible.

Ye next year I guess. I've always thought it would be better to do Tour-Vuelta and if that goes well Giro-Tour. Tour-Vuelta gives certainty for the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS