• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stick a fork in Alberto Contador

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
SiAp1984 said:
Good for the Tour that it looks like AC is beaten on the road this year. whether or not he gets banned (would deserve it, of course). No matter, if Andy, Fränk or Cadel finish the job- the legend of the unbeatable GT-rider is likely to be over. Lance Armstrong never risked to lose a Tour before 2009- AC did. Courage? I am not sure. BTW: Of coursen this years Giro was hard and AC totally ruled it. But the contention was weak compared to the Tour. Scarponi and a Nibali not at his best as top-rivals? C'mon. This Giro-victory is of minor value, because no in-form Schlecks, Basso and/or Evans there ("Not a valuable win because AC wasn' there" - That's what all the AC-fans would have said about this years Tour-winner had AC missed the race. So it is just fair to apply the same method to him). Man, I love this Tour!

A win is a win, especially in a GT. How many have done the Giro/Tour double? How many have done the Giro/Vuelta double? It's been shown that the Giro is not the optimal lead up to the Tour. Your bias is showing.

SirLes said:
In my job if an accusation is made against me I would be suspended pending the investigation. I would be presumed innocent but it is recognised that it is not helpful to have me working until the legal process has been completed and final judgement made.

In Contador's case a final judgement has not yet been reached, therefore in a similar way I don't think it's helpful that he is still working.

I am not seeking to discuss the CAS case here nor am I presuming anything. (hence if not when)

I also appreciate the way he has ridden and animated the race this year.

Contador has already been judged once - and was cleared. To still assume he's guilty, with the economic impact that could have, would not be wise for anyone.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
lagartija said:
well actually thats exactly what happened , and the final judgement was innocence.........you are confusing an appeal to a different court of the final judgment

If he can still be banned for the alleged offence don't think you can call it cased closed.
After he was cleared by the Spanish Feds I totally understand that he was free to ride. The moment the Uci and wada appealed to CAS IMO he should not have ridden.

I understand he is legally able to ride but surely I can be relieved that the nightmare scenario of a Tour winner being subsequently banned seems unlikely now.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
SirLes said:
If he can still be banned for the alleged offence don't think you can call it cased closed.
After he was cleared by the Spanish Feds I totally understand that he was free to ride. The moment the Uci and wada appealed to CAS IMO he should not have ridden.

I understand he is legally able to ride but surely I can be relieved that the nightmare scenario of a Tour winner being subsequently banned seems unlikely now.

Just like Frank Schleck was cleared by his National Fed? Why didn't the UCI appeal that?

SirLes said:

Ordinary tourists returning from a trip from China has tested positive on this drug... Now take it to the Clinic - PLEASE

SirLes said:

Still they waited over a month after the first appeal was made and that outstretched the process. Had they been faster there your wish would have been true.

(Sources claims that the defence is bullet-proof but that is another story).

Yes, so what are you whining for then?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
It was never my intention to make a big issue of the details of the CAS case, reasons behind it or possible outcome. That indeed is a discussion for the clinic, in fact there is a huge thread on it.

The fact is Contador could get banned and on that basis I am glad it is unlikely he will win , despite animating the race. That's all, didn't think that point of view would be particularly controversial.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
You are assuming that the winner of this tour will win it riding clean? A little naive I would say.

Now that is clinic material, which is specifically why I didn't mention that possibility at first!!!!

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
No_Balls said:
Because "no one likes Alberto Contador" as Phil Liggett said. So i dont wanna know what these guys said today.

Lance rode the Giro in 2009 (his comeback). Andy has not and probably never will.

Andy's first ever GT was the Giro, he got second behind Di Luca

Phoenix23 said:
I think what everyone is missing is that Contador did the Giro this year because he was afraid the CAS would ban him before the TDF. If they had done so, the entire season would have been a wash for him, whereas this way even if he is banned by the CAS, he does have a Giro win and possibly a Tour top 5.

I thought the same but was told by more than one poster that Contador had planned to do the Giro/Tour double all along. I don't know how valid this is though.

No_Balls said:
Because "no one likes Alberto Contador" as Phil Liggett said. So i dont wanna know what these guys said today.

Lance rode the Giro in 2009 (his comeback). Andy has not and probably never will.

Bob Roll will be beside himself with glee. I fear for the safety of my television.
I'd better remove any throwable objects from the room when I finally watch today's stage.:(

indurain666 said:
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/victoria/imposible/elpepudep/20110721elpepudep_15/Tes

He will be back. He explained that victory is impossible he had heavy legs all day and the knee pain really got pretty bad after Iozard, he had to get analgesics from race doctor car, that why he dropped momentarily from the group yellow jersey group on the descent.

Kudos to the guy for still being in the race. I hope he doesn't get any long term injury issues.

He finishes the interview congratulating Andy Schleck for his amazing stage, what a classy guy :D

+10000 Great effort Alberto. I too hope there are no long term effects to his knee from his never say die attitude. He can hold his head up for what he's achieved and attemtped to do.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I thought the same but was told by more than one poster that Contador had planned to do the Giro/Tour double all along. I don't know how valid this is though.

I remember reading it in an article on this site at least six months ago. But I can't find it now, with the horrible search function this site has:mad:

Alberto and the fickle 'tifosi'

Gee guys, love him or despise him, but AC is the great GT racer of this generation.

He ruled the Giro, so much so that many here and elsewhere called it boring. Now, it turns out that he is human (i.e., he gets tired, falls off his bike, gets injured, etc.), and again he gets little respect from many fans who should know better.

I, for one, think a little respect is the least that we owe him after a courageous outing at the Tour. Without AC, I shudder to think how flat this GT season would have been.

mr. tibbs said:
Giro final GC:

1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard 84:05:14
[...]
12 Hubert Dupont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:18:06

Tour current GC:

7 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:04:44
[...]
26 Hubert Dupont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:31:52

I think the greater perspective tells a slightly different story.

Thank you for that!

SiAp1984 said:
Good for the Tour that it looks like AC is beaten on the road this year. whether or not he gets banned (would deserve it, of course). No matter, if Andy, Fränk or Cadel finish the job- the legend of the unbeatable GT-rider is likely to be over. Lance Armstrong never risked to lose a Tour before 2009- AC did. Courage? I am not sure. BTW: Of coursen this years Giro was hard and AC totally ruled it. But the contention was weak compared to the Tour. Scarponi and a Nibali not at his best as top-rivals? C'mon. This Giro-victory is of minor value, because no in-form Schlecks, Basso and/or Evans there ("Not a valuable win because AC wasn' there" - That's what all the AC-fans would have said about this years Tour-winner had AC missed the race. So it is just fair to apply the same method to him). Man, I love this Tour!

Having a challenging grand tour in your legs when your opponents do not is never an advantage as history has shown. The fact that you attempt to discount that fact to build up other's resulting accomplishments is pretty sad.
Enjoy your gloating, it will be short-lived.

No_Balls said:
The "unbeatable" thing was a myth surrounded around Armstrong creating his ultimate Tour-legacy. Contador himself has been pretty relaxed this Tour knowing he already did a GT, and won it.

I dont think he will feel that devastated today.

He's likely of the belief that as long as he put in his best effort he's satisfied.
Of course he's disappointed buy even he admittedly came into the Tour uncertain of how his legs would respond to having the Giro in them.

MartinGT said:
Dont forfer people, this year was one of the hardest Giro's ever! I think he could do the Giro/Tour double, he is one hell of an athelete, he was close this year. Its still not over yet.

I'm going in what if territory here but what if he hadn't been delayed by that crash and lost the minute and a half, he wouldn't have had to expend energy on the Pinerolo and Gap stages trying to bring that deficit down. He and Samu both were in the same boat and had to attack in an effort to move back up the gc. Both faltered this stage. Add to that the crashes that actually resulted in the damage to his knee. I think he could've still been in contention if not for these circumstances but it is what it is. He's still a great champion in my eyes.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
bicing said:
Here at the TDF he's done.

But remember back 2 months ago he won the most difficult GT profile of all time in a commanding manner. He is still the boss of GT's. He is still the definition of good racing: attacking to win, riding aggressively, exciting the fans. He is still one of the greatest of all time.

That!!
The guy is a machine. He'll be back next year to prove that he is the best cyclist in the world.....oh wait, he already is.:D

Angliru said:
He's likely of the belief that as long as he put in his best effort he's satisfied.
Of course he's disappointed buy even he admittedly came into the Tour uncertain of how his legs would respond to having the Giro in them.

I plus that one.

I can´t dismiss him of having tried the double, nor can i be full of blame by see him falter. In my (however biased) eyes i see him in a much bigger perspective then before.

He was prepared to show the world that this great GC-rider was human and could falter, however damaging that could be for the image. He was aware that the possibility of a beatable man would be the possible outcome of this double. Many riders wouldnt dare take these risks.

In my disappointment, i feel comfort in that. God, cycling can be beautiful sometimes.