• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stiff, Strong, Aero, Light Wheels what is best

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I am currently back on my bike after 10years off. In my day a rear 4 spoke corima was the best wheel you could race on but we cant use them anymore.
So my question is what is the best wheelset for a 85 kg rider that rides crits on good roads and is a sprinter.

I have raced on a lot of wheels over the years and currently have spinergy stealth carbons but want lighter. I also have Ksyrium SL's but they are not stiff enough or aero enough.

I would like 50mm carbon singles, or even a 80mm rear...What is best these days ?

Thanks

trek52 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am currently back on my bike after 10years off. In my day a rear 4 spoke corima was the best wheel you could race on but we cant use them anymore.
So my question is what is the best wheelset for a 85 kg rider that rides crits on good roads and is a sprinter.

I have raced on a lot of wheels over the years and currently have spinergy stealth carbons but want lighter. I also have Ksyrium SL's but they are not stiff enough or aero enough.

I would like 50mm carbon singles, or even a 80mm rear...What is best these days ?

Thanks

Reynolds or Edge(insist on a DT hubset)..bring your wallet. If ya want light, gonna be a tubular. The carbon clincher rims weigh almost what an aluminum box section rim weighs.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yeah must be tubs, I still cant come at the fact that race wheels could be anything else.

What model Renyolds? Or Edge ? I will goggle them.

Money is not a major object 3k Aust give or take..

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I would go for a custom build from your LBS with the parts Bustedknuckle suggested, or from your local Australian wheel mfg., Bouwmeester in Victoria. Heard nothing but praise about them.

http://www.bouwmeesterwheels.com/index.php

bouwmeester_echelon_lg.jpg

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
davidg said:
Nice wheels - not road legal.

for ~$3k I would include Zipps in the list.

Yep, Zipps too. You can build a nice custom set from their rims if you've got a wheelbuilder that you trust.

Hey Dave, what makes those Bouwmeesters road illegal?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
davidg said:
I think that they made the wheels and then UCI applied the rules. Now where have I heard that before?

UCI, pfff. Glad I don't race anything sanctioned anymore.

I've been trying to find detailed specs on their wheels but cannot find anything that says how wide their rims are. 2.5cm... that's really wide. How would a 21 or 22c tire work on that wide of a rim?

There's even a Stuart O'Grady Limited Edition set. HA!
stuart-combo-web.jpg

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I've been trying to find detailed specs on their wheels but cannot find anything that says how wide their rims are. 2.5cm... that's really wide. How would a 21 or 22c tire work on that wide of a rim?

No it is rim depth - not width

From their site
"Bouwmeester wheels has been notified that, as of the 1st of September, Cycling Australia (CA) will be enforcing UCI regulation 1.3.018 for mass start UCI sanctioned races. As a result Bouwmeester is in the full swing of the compliance process.

We are aiming to get models complied in the coming weeks/months, however there are challenges as each model approval requires significant resources due to the requirements of the UCI testing in Belgium. As soon as a time frame for approval is finalised we will publish details on our website.

This ruling has, of course, been beyond our control and has been dictated to us by CA with minimal warning but we are doing our best to comply as soon as is physically possible.

Bouwmeester would have preferred a a larger window of time before the ruling was enforced so we could prepare and look after our loyal customers, but this is a situation that many other wheel manufacturers are also in.

Bouwmeester is still in negotiation with CA to put in place a time frame of leniency so domestic riders can be covered while we are in the process of getting approved.

Please note that this ruling is for only 'mass start races' and is not applicable to track and time trial."

Bouwmeester wheels has been notified that, as of the 1st of September, Cycling Australia (CA) will be enforcing UCI regulation 1.3.018 for mass start UCI sanctioned races. As a result Bouwmeester is in the full swing of the compliance process.

We are aiming to get models complied in the coming weeks/months, however there are challenges as each model approval requires significant resources due to the requirements of the UCI testing in Belgium. As soon as a time frame for approval is finalised we will publish details on our website.

This ruling has, of course, been beyond our control and has been dictated to us by CA with minimal warning but we are doing our best to comply as soon as is physically possible.

Bouwmeester would have preferred a a larger window of time before the ruling was enforced so we could prepare and look after our loyal customers, but this is a situation that many other wheel manufacturers are also in.

Bouwmeester is still in negotiation with CA to put in place a time frame of leniency so domestic riders can be covered while we are in the process of getting approved.

Please note that this ruling is for only 'mass start races' and is not applicable to track and time trial.

http://www.bouwmeesterwheels.com/in...nt&view=category&layout=blog&id=23&Itemid=215

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Yep, Zipps too. You can build a nice custom set from their rims if you've got a wheelbuilder that you trust.

Hey Dave, what makes those Bouwmeesters road illegal?

Zipp wheels are an excellent choice!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
My formula for this guy, since he's the same weight and racing style as me, would be:

Zipp 360 rims 58mm deep/20h front/24h rear, maybe even 28's if he has thunder thighs/DT 240 hubs.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
My formula for this guy, since he's the same weight and racing style as me, would be:

Zipp 360 rims 58mm deep/20h front/24h rear, maybe even 28's if he has thunder thighs/DT 240 hubs.

Rim choice is not bad, he is probably heavy enough to use deeper. At 85Kg, sprinting out of corners, I think spoke choice/count and build quality is crucial. Not sure I know the right answer to that, depends on riding style. Go Sapim's or maybe DT's and lace tight.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
davidg said:
Rim choice is not bad, he is probably heavy enough to use deeper. At 85Kg, sprinting out of corners, I think spoke choice/count and build quality is crucial. Not sure I know the right answer to that, depends on riding style. Go Sapim's or maybe DT's and lace tight.

I think any deeper than 58mm would be overkill for crits, just like you said.. build and spoke count/choice is more important. I've used almost this same set up for crits for many years;

Zipp 360's
Record hubs
28h front 1x
28h rear 2x
Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the replies guys,

I dont know of a zipp 360 ? I thought it was 404 then 808 etc. I will look it up, plus I didnt know you could buy rims.

I know I sound like a knob but yes I do make a bit of power and have won a number of bigger Australian races when I was younger. So I really want a set of wheels that I can have for a few years.

Can I ask why specific builds and not off the shelf ? Are the Zipp Clydsdale the answer ?

I think I am getting more confused......

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
trek52 said:
thanks for the replies guys,

I dont know of a zipp 360 ? I thought it was 404 then 808 etc. I will look it up, plus I didnt know you could buy rims.

I know I sound like a knob but yes I do make a bit of power and have won a number of bigger Australian races when I was younger. So I really want a set of wheels that I can have for a few years.

Can I ask why specific builds and not off the shelf ? Are the Zipp Clydsdale the answer ?

I think I am getting more confused......

To clear it up; If you have a wheelbuilder that you know and trust, you can buy all the parts and have it built for you custom, often times a better build for a little less cash. For crits and sprinting I like a really beefy front wheel. All too often those low spoke count radially laced front wheels flex too much laterally when you're giving it the mustard in the final 400m.

If you don't know any good wheelbulders, go for a 'Stallion or MAX build' 404 set, which is the 58mm 360 rim built on their hubs, 24 hole front and rear.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I wish i had a wheel builder I can trust, I will ask around and find out.
I will contact the zipp rep in Aust and see if I can get some 28 hole rims, I am sure the spokes will be ok.

Do you really thin the hubs make much of a difference ? I am asking cause apart from rolling, that they all do well these days, I never though of hubs.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Not a fan of the new Zipp hubs, especially the rear. The most hole count you get is 24, and the rear is reverse half-radial pattern, neither of which will benefit you. 28h rear 2x/24h front radial would be ideal, stiff as a nail and still plenty light.

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Keeping up with the rules

I guess Boumeester were making their wheels before the latest UCI rule change & have probably got a few doz rims & stuff in stock or whatever.
So they now have to do a flip & change to the new rules, its often hard to do in a hurry.

cheers Dermie

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
As for australian wheels, any opinions on 3 sixty degree or gravity zero?
Though I note they aren't on the list either.
I reckon these boys are on the money with the recommendations, where in oz are you? If sydney, Greg Ryan at TWE does a good job and can get almost anything you ask for.

trek52 said:
Yeah must be tubs, I still cant come at the fact that race wheels could be anything else.

What model Renyolds? Or Edge ? I will goggle them.

Money is not a major object 3k Aust give or take..

Google them. Stay away from Zipp WHEELS. Their hubs are junque, in spite of the ceramic 'hype'. Zipp rims are pretty far down on my list as well. I've pulled to many eyelets thru the rim while building, in spite of being WAY below their own suggested tension(Just did this). If no decent wheelbulder around, Edge and Reynolds WHEELS(with DT hubs) are nice.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Google them. Stay away from Zipp WHEELS. Their hubs are junque, in spite of the ceramic 'hype'. Zipp rims are pretty far down on my list as well. I've pulled to many eyelets thru the rim while building, in spite of being WAY below their own suggested tension(Just did this). If no decent wheelbulder around, Edge and Reynolds WHEELS(with DT hubs) are nice.
I have always bought Zipp built wheels. None of them ever arrived with spokes pulled through!

TRENDING THREADS