• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Still putting Spoilers on the front page.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You have just over a week to stop putting the spoilers on. Once the tour starts, if they're still there, I will not be visiting this site again.

The old layout of results was infinitely better too.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
PLEASE take the head lines out & Why Purple

PLEASE take the headlines out, this spoils the site and my enjoyment of the sport,

How about posting a guide as to where you've hidden everything. Where are the historic race reports and results of previous grand tours etc etc.

& Why Purple it's a schizophrenic's colour :(

For people who have access to lots of live coverage, the spoilers are no big deal. For poor SOBs like me who watch time delay or watch whatever video we can find on the internet then it is a problem. We can no longer check the race route or previous day's standings without seeing the winner.

The ideal solution might be different behavior for different users. Use a cookie to decide whether to expose or hide results.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
No spoilers!

What the ??? Velonews here I come if you don't get rid of the spoilers. C'mon CyclingNews! I have to agree with some of your posters: the new site is NOT an improvement!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
No spoilers!

CyclingNews, why in the world would you not listen to your readers and get rid of the spoilers? At the very least, give those who don't want them an option to choose the live report BEFORE viewing the spoiler page. Your new website is like going back in time a decade or more during the prehistoric web days.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
One more request

I've been reading cyclingnews for several years, thanks for the great work. And I guess I will get used to the new design. However, PLEASE, let us enjoy reading the live report even after the race is over. Let us access the live reports without seeing the results first.

Thanks again and keep up the good work,

Mauricio

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Don't like the spoilers

Dear CyclingNews Staff--

I come to CyclingNews instead of going to VeloNews or other sites, exactly because you had a spoiler-free site. I love reading the "live" reporting, and sometimes won't get to it for a few days. The new site *looks* great, but I'm sad to see news headlines now take the fun out of catching up on race news.

If you must have headlines on the front page, then at the least please take the headlines out of the "Stages" page you usually have for each event, so that there's a page I can go straight to that won't give anything away.

Here's hoping this'll change before the TdF kicks off!

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
please stop spoilin'

I can get results anywhere--the old, non-spoiled live reports were the closest I could get to the experience of watching the races. Please bring that back so I can use your site again.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I routinely read the play by play commentary after a stage/classic. it is something I enjoy doing greatly. Spoilers on the front page now make this simple joy impossible.
Please stop.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Live report link please!!!

Where can I click on the homepage and follow a race from the start without already knowing the result. Come on guys! " Heaven for climate,Hell for company" The new one looks nice, but :(I 'd take the old site any day over the new one.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
At the very least give us a sub-page that can be bookmarked where we can get race information -- i.e. previous results, stage profiles and such. The issue of watching the races in a time-delayed manner is a serious one for a lot of us who work outside of cycling.

It's sad that, in this thread and in the 40 pages of the other thread, there has been almost no comment by the CN staff on an issue that so many readers have raised.

Jun 15, 2009
www.swancoaching.com
Well, from atop the ivory tower where the editor sits and claims to care about its readerships opinions comes this (posted on the LOCKED thread where the editors can post without having to truly engage in a discussion with the readership)....

Spoilers:

While I'm keen to hear opinions on this matter I’m afraid that spoilers, or race headlines, are very much here to stay. I understand that some of you are against this but if you look on the majority of news websites you’ll see exactly the same thing. Whether it’s news, weather or sport, headlines in themselves are there to tell a story and entice people in. There are other factors as well, like search engine optimisation but the main reason is that it fits with real news reporting.

Thanks

Daniel

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Responding to Daniel Benson on spoilers:

if you look on the majority of news websites you’ll see exactly the same thing.

Right. That's why I came to CyclingNews and not to the majority of other news websites.

Personally I don't care if there are spoilers on the home page. But please give us a landing page for each race that's spoiler-free, with links to stage info, live report, etc.--exactly as you used to have. I can bookmark that page & go straight to it.

Thanks much.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
maarten said:
Responding to Daniel Benson on spoilers:

Right. That's why I came to CyclingNews and not to the majority of other news websites.

Personally I don't care if there are spoilers on the home page. But please give us a landing page for each race that's spoiler-free, with links to stage info, live report, etc.--exactly as you used to have. I can bookmark that page & go straight to it.

Thanks much.[/QUOTE

+1

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
ok, that's fine, just DONT tell me what happened.

yep, well there you go. another website goes live in the 21st century, accelerating the hyper-warp-speed of our already out of control universe. The need to condense everything to a "hi-light" or "headline", turning everything into a "tweet" or "status update" that can be summed up in 140 characters or less is a sham. It implies one of two things: that a) we don't care enough to devote time to it, or b) we simply don't have time to spend reading up on the details (or c) that we are mostly illiterate). I suppose such a format is useful for news outlets that may have only a moment to try to communicate critical news updates about what is going on in the world to its readership. But what is lost in doing so? A headline expresses a statement of fact, without rhyme or reason. It is because it is, and we don't care why or how it happened. Consider- can the most important moments of the day be summarized in 140 characters? Can that textual parameter even begin to convey the emotion, passion, power, and realism of said event? These are the things that I, and I would assume many others, looked forward to in turning to cyclingnews. The fact of hte matter is that, while other websites ARE turning to a much more concise form of reporting, I refuse to believe that it generates intrigue, as much as it fosters a superficial relationship between event and reader. Surprisingly, most of us turn to cyclingnews.com as a source of enjoyment. We love cycling enough to check back, in my case, a couple of times a day, to read up on the sport that we love. We shouldn't, frankly, be insulted by content editors that assume we don't care enough about our sport (the reason we visited this URL to begin with) to click once more to read a result with report and photos. That moment of anticipation... that "drum roll, please" moment was almost as exciting to me as watching the end of the stage unfold live. The headline under the old format (in the report) was big, bold, and illustrated. Now, the headline is buried on the front page in a non-descript, yet unavoidable batch of like stories. The perfect anti-climax. We are here to enjoy and try to experience the sport that we love. This is leisure time. Most of us don't need to be lured in by a glossy headline or flashy website. We're here because we care about the how and the why. We want to try to recreate the unfolding action, not bluntly clobbered over the head with it like illiterate space monkeys. And besides, the estimated time savings in the new format <10 secs.

and i think the format for displaying pictures sucks too.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
More spoilers

I just did the poll to say I only joined the forum to voice an opinion about the new design.
Some of it I can wait for it to bed in, but the spoiler headlines really don't work for me

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Daniel Benson + Spoilers = End of the Story for Me

coachkev said:
Well, from atop the ivory tower where the editor sits and claims to care about its readerships opinions comes this (posted on the LOCKED thread where the editors can post without having to truly engage in a discussion with the readership)....

Spoilers:

While I'm keen to hear opinions on this matter I’m afraid that spoilers, or race headlines, are very much here to stay. I understand that some of you are against this but if you look on the majority of news websites you’ll see exactly the same thing. Whether it’s news, weather or sport, headlines in themselves are there to tell a story and entice people in. There are other factors as well, like search engine optimisation but the main reason is that it fits with real news reporting.

Thanks

Daniel

Thanks Daniel for gracing us with your omniscient perspective on "real news reporting."

The only thing left for me to read on CN is the "Alternatives to Cyclingnews?" thread.

It was my favorite Web site by a mile 'til you ruined it. Now it's nothing but fodder for an MBA program case study.

Bye now.

TRENDING THREADS