• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stop Bagging Groceries!

You can make just as much being a pro cyclist!

from our friends at Cyclingnews

"In 2009, the agreed-upon minimum wages were 33,000 euros for ProTour racers, 27,500 euros for Professional Continental racers, 26,700 euros for neo-professional ProTour racers and 23,000 euros for neo-professional riders in the Professional Continental ranks, with all numbers representing the riders' gross salaries."

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So I'm wondering what expenses does the team cover?

*Travel to races, both local and far off?
*All hotel/motel and all food?
*Massage/medical? Even a cold?
*Of course Bike, training/racing bikes, TT for the head honchos?
*Clothing both Kit and warmup/cool down stuff?
*Extras, sunglasses, chewing gum and hair gel :p

But seriously who knows what is covered and what is not?

I mean if I'm making 33K Euro-bucks do I have to still pay for my ride to the races? Food or any extra food not covered by the team cook if there is a cook? What if I crash and tear my kit, do I get a new one for free?

Just wondering, and hopefully somebody knows the details.

Please you you're guessing just hold on for a solid answer, because I can guess as good as anyone else.

Well, cycling is a job just like any other for a certain amount of domestique type riders. You could almost compare them to mechanics in a racing team. They're an important part of every race and if they screw up too much the team is no good but they won't be the ones winning themselves...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
23,000 euros for a neo-pro on a Pro-Continental team. I would hate to know what a neo-pro (or a normal pro) on a Continental team (Division 3 in old money I think) would earn (either in Europe or in the States).

May 9, 2009
Visit site
If I was a young kid, I'd be quite happy to ride my bike for $45k a year as a first year pro. (one assumes the next year you won't be at minimum any longer).

A

Anonymous

Over here in the States, grocery store baggers make about 1/3 - 1/2 that, with no benefits or health care.

A

Anonymous

Steel4Ever said:
Baggers also suffer and work 99% LESS than a pro cyclist (at any level).

How about; Enlisted soldiers make 1/3-1/2 less that pro cyclists...

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Since when do you become a pro cyclist for the money?????

Pointless thread, if we were good enough and had the chance we'd all do it for free!

A

Anonymous

lookkg386 said:
Since when do you become a pro cyclist for the money?????

Pointless thread, if we were good enough and had the chance we'd all do it for free!

not pointless, interesting to compare the relevant wages, especially when you consider a fairly average footballer (in fact a pretty bad footballer) can earn more in a week than a pro tour rider in a year...

but yes.. given the ability and the opportunity, id ride a bike for 20k a year.. sounds perfect.. :D

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
not pointless, interesting to compare the relevant wages, especially when you consider a fairly average footballer (in fact a pretty bad footballer) can earn more in a week than a pro tour rider in a year...

but yes.. given the ability and the opportunity, id ride a bike for 20k a year.. sounds perfect.. :D

Yeah, yeah, but what I mean by pointless is would it stop you being a cyclist

ummmm nope.

A

Anonymous

lookkg386 said:
Yeah, yeah, but what I mean by pointless is would it stop you being a cyclist

ummmm nope.

nah.. but if for a few shots of epo i can go from 20k a year to 33k a year would i be tempted.. :D

Come on guys get real here - this isn't just about "you wouldn't have to pay me to ride as a pro-cyclist!"

You can't survive as an elite athlete, cyclist or otherwise without funding. Many would be athletes have to hang up their boots, spikes, cleats, skates, oars etc because they don't have sufficient funding to continue. Sure you get meals and a hotel room when you are with the team but there is the rest of the time when you have to fend for yourself.

I knew of a number of very talented athletes (in the late 80's) who had to retire (and get a job) because they couldn't afford to continue training.

One of the most interesting impacts of lottery funding in the UK was the impact on the longevity of elite athlete careers. Instead of (Olympic) athletes retiring at 24 -26 years old they now carry on sometimes well into their 30's. Some of this is because athletes look after themselves a little better but most of it is funding related.

TRENDING THREADS