• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Strade Bianche 2013, March 2nd, 188 kms 1.1

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Tom T. said:
Personally, I don't see Sagan being there at the end. I think this race is too heavy for him, both in climbing and the rough surface of the white roads.

Climbing ? Did you see last year Top 5 ? He's better in climbing than all of them, he'll make it if he's got the form.

Rough surface ? Former MTN biker and excellent bike rider technically as he showed many times.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
You do know that Sagan is a former mountainbiker, right?

Yes, but I'm not talking about bike handling but rather the energy sapping tendency of rough roads......kind of like Paris-Roubaix. And I think the climbs will be too much for him eventually. Hey, I could be wrong. But my sense from watching him is that this will be too tough for him. Maybe when he's a bit older.

Tom T. said:
Yes, but I'm not talking about bike handling but rather the energy sapping tendency of rough roads......kind of like Paris-Roubaix. And I think the climbs will be too much for him eventually. Hey, I could be wrong. But my sense from watching him is that this will be too tough for him.

It can be quite pleasant to ride on gravel. If the conditions are dry and hard, Sagan should have limited problems compared to others. P-R cobbles are never kind. Weather makes them go from bad to worse. Accumulated pain, cobble after cobble.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
It can be quite pleasant to ride on gravel. If the conditions are dry and hard, Sagan should have limited problems compared to others. P-R cobbles are never kind. Weather makes them go from bad to worse. Accumulated pain, cobble after cobble.

I was there last May and we rode past the entrances to many of the white roads, even saw signs for the race still. Not knowing the legality of it, we didn't explore them but stayed on the pavement, which was beautiful. Kind of wish we had checked them out to see how rough they are. I do know there's not much flat around there.

Tom T. said:
I do know there's not much flat around there.

The white roads will provide more incidents like this:

217-PIC262897843.jpg

Wonderful dynamic and dramatic race. Beautiful too.

Tom T. said:
Yes, but I'm not talking about bike handling but rather the energy sapping tendency of rough roads......kind of like Paris-Roubaix. And I think the climbs will be too much for him eventually. Hey, I could be wrong. But my sense from watching him is that this will be too tough for him. Maybe when he's a bit older.
EBH was 4th here when he was 21 and Sagan is much better now than EBH was or is.

The only thing that might stop Sagan is the fact that he's been sick.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Nothing about being terrible, just lets see where his form is. He has shown less than previous years and most of the other contenders bar Boonen have shown something so lets wait and see.

it's always stunning to see how little you know about cycling. I think you only started watching cycling since the british started doing wel few years ago.

I think this should suit Sagan very well but I also thought so last year and he was nowhere to be seen. Will be exciting to see Moser too, but might be early for him as its his first race this year. I expect at least a podium from someone from Blanco, they have a very strong team here IMO.

kanari said:
I think this should suit Sagan very well but I also thought so last year and he was nowhere to be seen. Will be exciting to see Moser too, but might be early for him as its his first race this year. I expect at least a podium from someone from Blanco, they have a very strong team here IMO.

isn't his first race thursday?

TRENDING THREADS